Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disgusted with the lack of communication and service - Seagulls Player.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Didn't renew, strangely enough got email after email. I finally gave in when they offered it at £29.99. The best part is I can't log myself in with my details, Because it keeps taking me to sign up page. Bloody hard work remembering made up name and password.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I haven't had any renewal e-mails for the past 3 years , they just take the annual direct debit payment in mid August.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I wonder how long the current deal has to run? I agree the club must be equally frustrated if the clubs youtube content is anything to go by they could produce much, much better quality highlights and coverage. I'd be happy to pay a little bit more if the quality and reliability was better as well as the club taking a bigger cut of the profits.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Even though I live in Essex I still get Sussex radio loud and clear. I just have to sit in the car at the top of the road.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I have asked is question on the Swindon match thread.

I let my subscription lapse because my card expired. I wasn't chased or reminded about it and so the subscription lapsed.

However I am listening to Seagulls World on my ipad via the Football League app. I am in the Brighton area at the moment. My question is will Seagull Player work from anywhere in the UK or abroad via VPN during the season?
Be careful of repeating card payment agreements - I never knowingly sign up to them, as they don't have the same protection for you as DDs, and they have an odd little quirk: if you change your card, the payee can ask the bank for details of your new card and take the payment from that. Are you sure your subscription isn't still active because they've managed to take payment from a different card?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder how long the current deal has to run? I agree the club must be equally frustrated if the clubs youtube content is anything to go by they could produce much, much better quality highlights and coverage. I'd be happy to pay a little bit more if the quality and reliability was better as well as the club taking a bigger cut of the profits.
I've read somewhere that it is 2017.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It is an abysmally poor quality service that the club should be doing something about. It doesn't matter that they are not in control of the service-they should be pestering the shit out of the company providing Player. I asked Insider and Paul Barber why Albion highlights were so short compared to many clubs and got told that The Albion had no control over the highlights package which was, frankly, bullshit. Some clubs have their 20 odd minutes extended highlights package available a few hours after the final whistle. Meanwhile, we have to wait until the next afternoon in most cases for an inferior product. Some clubs even have full matches available-we get 7 minutes or so. We seem to get short-changed all the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is an abysmally poor quality service that the club should be doing something about. It doesn't matter that they are not in control of the service-they should be pestering the shit out of the company providing Player. I asked Insider and Paul Barber why Albion highlights were so short compared to many clubs and got told that The Albion had no control over the highlights package which was, frankly, bullshit. Some clubs have their 20 odd minutes extended highlights package available a few hours after the final whistle. Meanwhile, we have to wait until the next afternoon in most cases for an inferior product. Some clubs even have full matches available-we get 7 minutes or so. We seem to get short-changed all the time.

This. And I would add that the club should walk away from this contract. The provider has been supplying a below standard product for years now. If Barber really did care he'd walk away from this shit and provide an alternative service.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Quality highlights from last night's game up on Player. No commentary whatsover, just muffled crowd noises.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Quality highlights from last night's game up on Player. No commentary whatsover, just muffled crowd noises.

This is a Football League production. Inevitably crap. Doesn't seem to matter whether you select low or high res, it's always low. I'm waiting for the club's own version. We'll probably have to wait for the club's TV blokes to get back to the Amex to edit the video for Player.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have had "player" for nearly 10 years and in that time I complained so many times especially while we lived in Wales because it was the only connection to the Albion.
then I moved to Eastbourne where I can get radio commentary, I don't use player for my commentary simply because it is useless, but it very handy for highlights.
I felt for all those who live away from the area, because I know what its like to miss listening to your team, so I went on to "ask the club" and had a go about it and got a ban for my trouble, so don't do that it was a mistake.
email Barber and complain it worked last time and might again, I don't like the guy at all but he really did the business last time and it pays to go to the top, rather than mess about with others who don't have the umph to do the job.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
for what its worth, an answer to a question posed on ask the Club

We had a meeting with FLi this summer, and they have extended the deal with Perform - but crucially we have made it clear (as have FLi) that improvements are expected to:

- Player quality, it should be comparable with YouTube, which is excellent
- Live stream, we want to be able to stream live matches and events via Player (the new Under-21 League does not allow YouTube streaming, as TV rights have been bought by Sky - but we could and would stream via Seagulls Player, if this was available).

FLi want these two key improvements undertaken (ultimately with the aim of offering live streams external of the UK, where overseas TV rights allow) but as yet we have had no indication on timescale (sorry - not in our control). What is clear is that there is now new personnel at FLi, who are moving things in the right direction, but it is small steps (the app, beamback, improved mobile site, the wall) but it is small steps as there is so much to improve, due to what they had inherited.

The key thing is to be patient, as FLi are doing their best to service the needs of 80-odd clubs within the deal, including the Albion - but crucially, working with us, instead of insisting we accept a one-size-fits-all approach.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

With seagulls player you can also access the content of all the other football league clubs using the same service. There are a few exceptions to this, predominantly with clubs relegated from the Premier League but other than that...

If as you say other clubs provide longer highlights sooner than we do than just watch it from our opponents equivalent player website

Easy

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Personally I've never had any issues from accessing match commentary. It's the highlights (or lowlights rather) that is frankly awful. Pixilated beyond believe and almost completely unwatchable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even though I live in Essex I still get Sussex radio loud and clear. I just have to sit in the car at the top of the road.

Ha. Same*.

*except substitute Hampshire for Essex, and 'my driveway' for 'the top of the road'.

I COULD listen to it indoors where my lad has it playing through the FL app on his iPhone, but I LIKE it in the car! I have peace to concentrate properly to the commentary, and I have my iPad to look at NSC and keep track of the other scores, as the house wifi works fine out there. Take a cup of tea with out me, and I'm SORTED.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
for what its worth, an answer to a question posed on ask the Club

In that answer it says they have extended the deal with Perform. Facking Hell. They couldn't do a worse job if they tried. Shows the Football league just don't give a toss about it.

When I tried to figure out what was wrong last year I came to the following conclusions

Laptop / Desktop is better (but who wants to sit at a D/T listening to the football in 2014)
The iphone app seems to work OK albeit its not in the app store and you have to hunt for it
Forget it on Android. Especially Samsung devices. It didn't work for one game all last year. Bizarely, it did work in the previous season.

If you want to save your sanity, follow games on NSC, Twitter or BBC. Using this just pisses people off.

The really annoying thing is that streaming commetary via an app is a piece of piss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here