Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix show - “Sunderland ‘til I Die”

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Also completed watching the whole series yesterday after posting. One thing that annoyed me about it was the crowd shots or those taken from the touch line were featuring a completely different match than the one it was supposed to. For example, was meant to be playing away from home at Pride Park, cut to crowd scenes from a home match at the SoL.

I noticed that too.

When they were at Brentford, lots of the fans in the touchline shots appear to be wearing old gold shirts...

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Loving the schadenfraude shitshow to bits so far (3 episodes in).

We know the script and how it was going to go before it happened of course, with the entitlement and arrogance and knowing what ‘good on paper’ under-estimatation of opposition leads to in that league (leads to Leeds).

Not impressed with Martin Bain myself. Presumably it’s his idea to invite the cameras in to ‘showcase what’s so great about this club’ - passion and history sure, but offers no results on the pitch.

So he was totally unprepared for the start of that season, and got just three players in. Plus his flash display of wealth belies his rhetoric (counted three chunky watches prominently on show plus new Range Rover and other preening).

A lot of rabbit in headlights BS so far and presumably more to come....

Looking forward to it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Loving the schadenfraude shitshow to bits so far (3 episodes in).

We know the script and how it was going to go before it happened of course, with the entitlement and arrogance and knowing what ‘good on paper’ under-estimatation of opposition leads to in that league (leads to Leeds).

Not impressed with Martin Bain myself. Presumably it’s his idea to invite the cameras in to ‘showcase what’s so great about this club’ - passion and history sure, but offers no results on the pitch.

So he was totally unprepared for the start of that season, and got just three players in. Plus his flash display of wealth belies his rhetoric (counted three chunky watches prominently on show plus new Range Rover and other preening).

A lot of rabbit in headlights BS so far and presumably more to come....

Looking forward to it.

I have now finished it. I wasnt impressed with Bain either, sat down with the youth coach before talking to the manager about the strategy of using youth players to paper over the cracks. Doesn sign a striker that the manager asked for at the beginning of the season. They clearly thought the championship would be easy to manage and the Celtic game wasnt enough of a wake up call.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have now finished it. I wasnt impressed with Bain either, sat down with the youth coach before talking to the manager about the strategy of using youth players to paper over the cracks. Doesn sign a striker that the manager asked for at the beginning of the season. They clearly thought the championship would be easy to manage and the Celtic game wasnt enough of a wake up call.

Not sure that was the case. Ellis Short pulled the plug on all the funding. They were given next to no money to spend that season, I think they spent a total of about a million bringing in James Vaughan and Jason Steele - the rest of the side was made up of free transfers and loans, so that shithouse team was on a hiding to nothing right from the off.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Only watched a couple of episodes and not sure I will watch anymore....can't see why people are raving about it?

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Not sure that was the case. Ellis Short pulled the plug on all the funding. They were given next to no money to spend that season, I think they spent a total of about a million bringing in James Vaughan and Jason Steele - the rest of the side was made up of free transfers and loans, so that shithouse team was on a hiding to nothing right from the off.

They had an offer on the table for a striker who didnt want to travel for the medical, probably was money but looking too high and they managed to bring in 3 goalkeepers. Thats my basis for not being that impressed with him. As you said though no funding at all at one point and expecting them to compete, rediculous.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Noticed half way down their list of potential loan signings.

Beram Kayal - Brighton.

The way it comes across in the show, this was towards the end of the transfer window, but was Kayal not injured in a pre-season in July?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Martin Bain comes across terribly.

They clearly tried to make Rodwell out as some sort of bad guy, but it was the clubs error.

Yes it was the club’s error, but the prick is on SEVENTY GRAND a week and is just hiding. Clearly embarrassed and rather than fight for it to show he’s a good player and at least worthy of another shot, he just ****ing takes the money. Obviously I don’t know what else is going on for him and these things are never one-sided, but come on, there is very little he can say to defend his position. If he had left, sure, he’d have to probably take a 50% pay cut... but that might have saved Sunderland to fight on in the Championship.

I’d be out there ****ing dying for my teammates, the club and the supporters. This shit is why it’s sbsolutely vital that you get the right characters. It’s the same with any job - at my work I’d would always rather have an inexperienced person with the right mentality than a tosser who in theory can do the job.

Rodwell is within his rights. But he’s still a ****.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is really making me nervous about steele.

Yes it was the club’s error, but the prick is on SEVENTY GRAND a week and is just hiding. Clearly embarrassed and rather than fight for it to show he’s a good player and at least worthy of another shot, he just ****ing takes the money. Obviously I don’t know what else is going on for him and these things are never one-sided, but come on, there is very little he can say to defend his position. If he had left, sure, he’d have to probably take a 50% pay cut... but that might have saved Sunderland to fight on in the Championship.

I’d be out there ****ing dying for my teammates, the club and the supporters. This shit is why it’s sbsolutely vital that you get the right characters. It’s the same with any job - at my work I’d would always rather have an inexperienced person with the right mentality than a tosser who in theory can do the job.

Rodwell is within his rights. But he’s still a ****.

Why would he leave and become jobless?

He was training, why not throw him in? It is not like he could have been worse.

The idea of him not playing because of his attitude is laughable considering they had Gibson on the books.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
He was training, why not throw him in? It is not like he could have been worse.
The idea of him not playing because of his attitude is laughable considering they had Gibson on the books.

Who knows? I wondered that at the time when the press were all over it. Why not just play him! But perhaps he was dire in training. And with a crap attitude and basically hated by the fans, maybe playing him isn’t a good idea. Perhaps they thought he would consider leaving if he wasn’t being showcased. Frankly it seems as if he’s regressed significantly since he was younger, so maybe one of those people who has given up after he made it. Prior to joining Blackburn he’s played less than an hour in the Championship. Maybe he needs more time to ge up to speed.

Doesn’t stop him being an ass though

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The way it comes across in the show, this was towards the end of the transfer window, but was Kayal not injured in a pre-season in July?

Kayal broke his leg in the friendly against Atletico. They more than likely couldn't be bothered to update the power point presentation to remove him before they took it to the meeting.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've finished episode 4. Things are looking up, new manager, a couple of good wins. They'll be safe, right?

:lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who knows? I wondered that at the time when the press were all over it. Why not just play him! But perhaps he was dire in training. And with a crap attitude and basically hated by the fans, maybe playing him isn’t a good idea. Perhaps they thought he would consider leaving if he wasn’t being showcased. Frankly it seems as if he’s regressed significantly since he was younger, so maybe one of those people who has given up after he made it. Prior to joining Blackburn he’s played less than an hour in the Championship. Maybe he needs more time to ge up to speed.

Doesn’t stop him being an ass though

Going to City ruined him.

The atmosphere was already toxic I honestly dont know how it would have made it worse.

Mcgeady seemed to have a shite attitude, but was played most weeks.

I thought Coleman was pretty average, I am not sure that side should have gone done.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just watched the first few. Not bad, made much more entertaining by the fact that we all know how it ends. Far too much confidence that they'll simply be challenging at the top cos they're one of the big boys just relegated. Big mistake.

Don't like how much these documentaries over dramatise action on the pitch though. Super slow-mo and hugely dramatic music for a penalty during a pre season friendly for example. Thought that during the City one too
Way more entertaining than the squeaky clean City one though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here