Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good run from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] today and some amazing park run times yesterday from nsc runners. The super egos could have some new faces by the summer.
My 15 mile Sunday run became 17 miles after I missed my turn. I clocked 105 miles in January which is a fifth of what I managed last year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good run from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] today and some amazing park run times yesterday from nsc runners. The super egos could have some new faces by the summer.
My 15 mile Sunday run became 17 miles after I missed my turn. I clocked 105 miles in January which is a fifth of what I managed last year.

Certainly some fast times coming in and it's not even 5k race season yet.
Since Xmas I have run 112 miles which is more than I ran in the 17 months before that. Very happy with that and will be happy to make the C-List for the Weakest Link Relay.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Certainly some fast times coming in and it's not even 5k race season yet.
Since Xmas I have run 112 miles which is more than I ran in the 17 months before that. Very happy with that and will be happy to make the C-List for the Weakest Link Relay.

17 months? Superb. Good to have you back coach

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Excellent. Either your foot has swollen or that can of Dark Star just isn't big enough after 28+ miles.
I did have TWO!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Another 15 mile to be registered by me - the furthest I've ever run and probably at the limit of what I can run without taking water... so it'll be on with the hydrating backpack when I run 17 miles next weekend.

No Parkrun for me until after Brighton Marathon, then I'll hopefully get sub-19 again!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else do the south of England xc mudfest yesterday?

I spotted your good effort on Strava. How was it? Is it open to all comers? I'd be interested to enter next year for sentimental reasons. I finished 35th as a 13 year old in the U-15s Southern XC there in 1973 and got selelected for the Sussex Squad before being advised to leave in the summer. The beginning of my downward slide.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
35km for me today. My longest run to date and the fourth time I’ve gone over 30km. It seems a very odd problem to have but I’m actually going to be ready for a marathon too early, with Edinburgh still four months away. My legs start to tire a bit towards the end of these long runs and I’m losing a bit of pace in the last few KMs (not helped today by coming to a stop as I crossed the locks in Shoreham Harbour) but I still did the whole thing at an average of 5:02/km and the more I practice I hope to be able to keep it under 5:00/km throughout. It’s all looking good.

I’m not sure what to aim for at Worthing and Brighton HMs now. My only previous HM was a 1:46:00 so I’ll smash that but it’s hard to know how low I could go. I’d love a 1:35:00 but it might be a bit ambitious.

The way you're going, you're going to be competing with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and me around Worthing! How far after Worthing is the Edinburgh marathon? The biggest problem I've faced in all marathons to date is fading in the final 5/6 miles. My plan to combat it this year is to run more double days in the few weeks beforehand, I want to do a couple of 10 mile runs in the same day for example, to try and improve my capacity to run on already tired legs.

Your splits for the sunday run were really consistent, they dropped away but it wasn't like they fell of a cliff face - very strong and consistent. There's a new contender in town! I think the Arena 80c 10k NSC race is going to be star studded this year...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The way you're going, you're going to be competing with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and me around Worthing! How far after Worthing is the Edinburgh marathon? The biggest problem I've faced in all marathons to date is fading in the final 5/6 miles. My plan to combat it this year is to run more double days in the few weeks beforehand, I want to do a couple of 10 mile runs in the same day for example, to try and improve my capacity to run on already tired legs.

Your splits for the sunday run were really consistent, they dropped away but it wasn't like they fell of a cliff face - very strong and consistent. There's a new contender in town! I think the Arena 80c 10k NSC race is going to be star studded this year...

He's certainly doing well. For us mere mortals [MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] is coming up fast on the rails. Although I'm not star studded can we aim for the Phoenix 10K in July? I'm away in October.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's certainly doing well. For us mere mortals [MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] is coming up fast on the rails. Although I'm not star studded can we aim for the Phoenix 10K in July? I'm away in October.

Absolutely - the Phoenix is ideal, it's an evening race so we can strut our stuff and then go piling into the Brunswick afterwards for the post mortem!

Hopefully it'll be a return to pleasant weather for it this year though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I plan to give myself some extra oooomph in the final miles by strengthening my core. Is this something you do or have considered?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I plan to give myself some extra oooomph in the final miles by strengthening my core. Is this something you do or have considered?

I do core sessions on a daily basis, I think that raw, hard miles are the difference in the final run in though. I wasn't able to do too many miles in preparation last year, I had issues with my shins so I was doing a lot of swimming, cycling and gym sessions (rowers, steppers and eliptical trainers, mostly). They did the job, but I can't help feel I missed some raw road milage to really get me over the line.

I've piled into 140something miles so far, and I intend to be in the 50-70 per week range after Worthing is out of the way. Providing there are no ill effects of all the sessions prior to that, I should be able to ramp the miling and get myself capable of running the whole thing hard. Not going off too quickly is also my target this year!

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
I spotted your good effort on Strava. How was it? Is it open to all comers? I'd be interested to enter next year for sentimental reasons. I finished 35th as a 13 year old in the U-15s Southern XC there in 1973 and got selelected for the Sussex Squad before being advised to leave in the summer. The beginning of my downward slide.....

Was harder than when I did the same course 3 years ago due to the weather.
Kind of open to all (with a supposed 90 minute cut off - which doesn't look like it was enforced). You might need to be a member of a club. Will probably be in London next year as they tend to alternate venues.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I love Phoenix and definitely aiming for this year again should my training continue the way the first three weeks have gone. Will be playing the Forest Green Rovers role so will have to be last out of the pub to make up for it

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sunday was a good day for me. Decided to up my training pace and was aiming for 18 miles in 3 hours as my next goal is sub 4.20 at Brighton.

Started off pushing the pace and did have to drop back slightly but finihsed pretty much on the time I wanted. Never seen so many runner out and about on the Worth Way and Forest Way. 101 miles so far for me in January, so on target for my 1,111 for the year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1379405116

CRUK 10k for me in London on Sunday, followed by the Levellers at the Roundhouse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do core sessions on a daily basis, I think that raw, hard miles are the difference in the final run in though. I wasn't able to do too many miles in preparation last year, I had issues with my shins so I was doing a lot of swimming, cycling and gym sessions (rowers, steppers and eliptical trainers, mostly). They did the job, but I can't help feel I missed some raw road milage to really get me over the line.

I've piled into 140something miles so far, and I intend to be in the 50-70 per week range after Worthing is out of the way. Providing there are no ill effects of all the sessions prior to that, I should be able to ramp the miling and get myself capable of running the whole thing hard. Not going off too quickly is also my target this year!

I tend to agree with this. What core stuff do you do. I’m new to this and am just looking at a few planks at the moment.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I tend to agree with this. What core stuff do you do. I’m new to this and am just looking at a few planks at the moment.

I follow a girl called Chloe Conquers on Instagram, she does some amazing core workouts and they're really impactful. I have started doing a routine which includes hanging from an overhead bar and doing the cycling motion, slowly and controlled, then raising my knees up to my chest and back down until legs are straight, and back up again. The challenges are holding yourself up, and then being able to do 10/20 of the cyclies and then 8/10 of the raises. It's tough, and you really feel it afterwards.

Otherwise, sit ups are always effective to start, side planks as well - look up Russian Twists too, they're very good when done correctly. There are loads of core exercises, the trick is not doing the same ones over and over again because they lose effectiveness and impact - which defies the purpose!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I love Phoenix and definitely aiming for this year again should my training continue the way the first three weeks have gone. Will be playing the Forest Green Rovers role so will have to be last out of the pub to make up for it

And last in the pub?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here