Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Brentford (H)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Greer and Calderon - two great stalwarts, but age caught up with them some time back. Both are still good with the ball, and Calderon is classier than many of our recent/current forwards in attack. But opposing forwards destroy them both for pace and they get caught of position, with zero hope of recovering. A major weakness to us. Hopefully Hughton deals with this in this or the next transfer window. Calderon to become a club coach?

Rohan Ince was man of the match for me. Imperious, attack minded, creative, a powerhouse. Plays beyond his young years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale - 7 - some good saves
Calderon - 5 - jointly at fault for the goal with Greer. Can't fault his effort
Bennett - 5 - can't defend
Dunk - 5 - Just an idiot, for giving the ref an opportunity
Greer - 5 - Poor decision on goal
Holla - 6 - always available, but too slow
Ince - 9 - head and shoulders above everything around him
Baldock - 5 - Not a winger
JFC - 6 - far better further forward
Solly - 6 - Good and bad, slows the game down too much for me, but he is learning and is getting better
CMS - 5 - game trier as always. But the shot at the keeper was a very bad miss

COG - 5 - nothing of note
Colunga - 6 - Better than CMS and Baldock
Halford - 6 - nothing of note

Ref - 3

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale - 8 Played well. No chance with the goal
Calderon- 6 Our Best defender today and also one of the few who looked like scoring or assisting a goal.
Dunk - 4 Took his first booking for the team due to poor play in front of him. Second silly and gave "ME ME ME" the chance to again take centre stage.
Greer - 2 Awful. Sold himself in every tackle and distribution caused their goal and never improved.
Bennett - 5 Just not very good.
Holla - 5 Overshadowed by a bigger better player next to him
Ince - 10 This man will play for England
March - 3 Very poor, need 10 touches when a first time shot is on the cards. Wake up boy for Christ sake.
JFC - 5 Gave him 5 because he may of deserved it, did he? Not sure didn't see him do anything
Baldrick - 5 Covered in a defensive position too much. Not his fault played in a position he's not used too.
CMS - 4 L2 Lower L1 at best. Runs about but never looks dangerous. Needs to read up on off side rule.

Subs
Halford - 5 ok
Colunga -3 weak
O'Grady - 7 Always looks like he could offer something,

Ref.0 If I was that bad I'd be homeless.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I reasonable game doesnt make the season. His problem is he is clumsy and loses the ball but to his credit he usually wins it back.

You wont agree but we are crying out for Bruno to come back on Wednesday.

Oh shut up man. Bruno back no no no. Calderon was our most dangerous player.

One good game for Ince, you are barking mad. Your sons agree with me listen to them you might learn something.

Look at the games we have won this year and then look at who has been playing, then come back to me.

Keep taking the tablets you old fool.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Don't want to be critical of our new manager, but I will. Why not start with a proper striker (O'Grady) instead of our Duracell player, CMS? If COG hasn't got 90 mins in him, then at least keep him on until he runs out of steam. And why play a striker ('cos that was he is apparently), Baldock, on the wing? Colunga (who is also not a winger) did much much better in that role when he came on. We have a winger, March, so why not play him on the wing? Yes, I know he stuck with the line up that had won us the last three games, but our weaknesses were fully exposed today. Brentford could easily have had three or four today if they had their shooting boots on, so questions as well about our defence.

Stockdale 8. Kept us in the game. Joint MOM.
Calderon 6. Did OK defensively and some good forward runs, but partly at fault for the goal (together with Greer).
Greer 5. Passing very poor today (again) and played Calderon into trouble for Brentford's goal.
Dunk 6 Loses two points for the second yellow. He knew he was on a yellow so should have stayed well away from the guy. His intervention was not required. Otherwise a decent game.
Bennett 7. Did OK without being at his best.
Holla 7. Some decent attacking play and a couple of good shots. OK defensively.
Ince 8. Very good game again, but not quite at same consistent standard as last three games. Joint MOM.
JFC 6. Better than some recent performances, but we need someone better in that position.
March 5. One glorious chance to shoot but on his wrong foot. By the time he had shifted feet the opportunity was lost. Prefer to see him out wide, particularly in the absence of Kazenga.
Baldock 5. He's not a winger. Either play him as a striker or not at all..
CMS 5. Ball control a little improved, but not what we need in the striker role.

Subs:
Colunga 7. Much better than Baldock. One great shot that deserved a goal.
Halford 7. He should be starting. I like this guy.
O'Grady 6. Not given enough time or service to achieve much today.

In spite of the defeat I feel much more positive than in the Hyypia days and I'm confident Hughton can get us out of trouble. Thought the team played with much more purpose and energy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 8
Calderon 7
Bennett 6
Dunk 2
Greer 4

Ince 8
Holla 4
JFC 6

March 6
Baldock 5

CMS 6

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh shut up man. Bruno back no no no. Calderon was our most dangerous player.

One good game for Ince, you are barking mad. Your sons agree with me listen to them you might learn something

They said you would stick up for Calderon who was 50% equal with Greer for the goal but even you must realise now that Bruno ix far better and less of a liability.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just brilliant how some people rate Dunk higher than other players......the man was stupid and got sent off after an hour effectively costing us the game, he must rate the lowest ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Calderon was our most dangerous player.
One good game for Ince, you are barking mad.

Agree with both of these bits. Calderon was dangerous and never gets picked up when he attacks, the trouble is defensively he is not up to it. Midfield replacement for Holla perhaps?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stockdale 6.5
Calderon 5.5 - out of position at times but a threat going forward
Greer 4 - I saw him as making the key mistake with goal, misreading the bounce of the ball, terrible distribution, refusing to pass to Calderon again (if we're weaker with Calderon it is Greer's refusal to use him as an outlet that is contributing to that)
Dunk 3 - There were other defenders back for the first booking, when you're on a yellow you don't raise your hands. It doesn't matter how much of a meal Juta made of it, Dunk was an idiot, and then he did the Colunga trick of walking up the pitch wasting time when we're trailing rather than getting off and letting us get on with trying to rescue a point.
Bennett 5.5
Holla 4.5
Ince 7.5
JFC 5
Baldock 5 Not convinced by him as a left sided wide striker. Don't think he has the defensive skills for it, he needs to be the sort of forward who isn't expected to track back and provide support, other than for set pieces
CMS 4 Some good touches early on, a great pass in the first half, but no threat up front, as the game got going his touch got worse, his opportunities to score were wasted either soft strike straight at their keeper or a wasteful shot wide of the goal when he was never going to score at the near post
March 4.5 Didn't he used to have pace, or am I imagining that?

Colunga 4.5 Quiet.
Halford 4.5 Whenever he is put upfront, he losing all his energy.
O'Grady Not sure he had enough chance to contribute enough to be rated

Their goalkeeper made some good saves, some saves that looked better than they were, and some shots that went straight at him. So many goalkeepers come to the amex and put in such performances. Should we start to accept the quality of goalkeeping in the championship is actually very high, rather than putting it into some mythical amex effect?

Jan 9, 2015
March was big disappointment, slow in thought and action, and ran out of puff by halftime. Baldock played out of position. Ince outstanding. Won't accept any excuses for Dunk. Violent conduct, deserving of straight red. Silly boy. Must grow up. Need O'Grady to play with Baldock or CMS as two man front line against Ipswich.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Here's a rating; Brighton 0 points, Brentford 3 points. Everything else is pendantic irreverence.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They said you would stick up for Calderon who was 50% equal with Greer for the goal but even you must realise now that Bruno ix far better and less of a liability.

Er no. You didn't go to Charlton did you? When Bruno came on he was dreadful. Don't take my word for it look at the threads.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree with both of these bits. Calderon was dangerous and never gets picked up when he attacks, the trouble is defensively he is not up to it. Midfield replacement for Holla perhaps?

I agree. I know I stick up for Calderon and believe he is better for the team than Bruno, but, I have always conceded he/they both need replacing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here