Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Another brilliant stage. Nibali is just incredible, but the young French riders were also fantastic. Pinot, Peraud and Bardet all in the top five, Valverde off the podium.

Just over four hours. Utterly ridiculous. My official time in l'etape was 8hours and 19 minutes.

Obviously, Peraud is only young when compared to me...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stage.

Nice of Nibs to stamp his authority on the tour.
I guess he felt he had to from the moment all competition was removed.

It's a bit of a shame AVV didn't lose more time.

The Belkin boys seem to have done it again.
Appearing in the top 10 for no apparent reason.
At least Net App deserve their place on page one.

Pogue, why didn't you do the ride today? it looked just about perfect!!
(That's for the celeste crack!!)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
HTBF do they maintain that cadence? Incredible.

Obviously it's impressive but they go up the tourmalet at about 13mph average. If you think what cadence you can manage at that speed it's not so difficult.

Watch them on the angliru or zoncolan and the cadence is much lower.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Great stage.

26th fastest time up hautacam for nibali! He would have been 2.5 minutes behind Riis record from 96!

Peraud for 2nd and valverde 3rd based on tt ability, I reckon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
26th fastest time up hautacam for nibali! He would have been 2.5 minutes behind Riis record from 96!

Peraud for 2nd and valverde 3rd based on tt ability, I reckon.

Encouraging news from those numbers.

As to Podium. I'm inclined to agree, but would love Pinot to hold off Valverde. Pinot, whilst not great at TTing isn't a total mug at it either and a podium spot is a massive prize for him to fight for.

I know it's only for 5th place, but it'll be interesting to see if TJVG clawed enough time back on Bardet today to jump over him. Two minutes 8 secs over the young Frenchman is certainly doable.

I'm half tempted by some odds for tomorrow, having stayed away these past two days as there's no value in the GC stage wins.

GVA 21/1
Trentin 22/1
Benatti 25/1
Gallopin 66/1
G 200/1

Unfortunatley they've got wise to Kristoff @4/1. Really interested to see which of three ways tomorrow's stage could go.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great stage.

I did! If you'd tuned in, live, about ten minutes ago, you'd have seen me finishing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Currently in Argeles-Gazost and watched the Tour come through yesterday. Scorching hot! Might have been more interesting today when we have lightening and storms.
Amazed how many people congregate to climb Tourmalet and Col d'Aubisque ahead of the Tour and most of them no spring chickens.....maybe it's about achieving ambitions but it's certainly impressive......like a world within a world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nibali would have been, but its no good comparing the 90s to today, a different era, Bjarne wasn't called Mr 60% for nothing, I'm sure Stat Bro would confirm that.
I couldn't think of a phrase to convey 'blood like treacle'.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
serious shit weather today,some photo's shame they're blurred

DSCN2293.JPG

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for the photos. Particularly loving this one :thumbsup: Hope you've had a good day.

Exciting stage today, and one for the romantics with that masterstroke from Garmin to launch Navardauskas for the well deserved win. Takes the edge off their disappointment for Bauer the other day.

Got to feel for Sagan with that crash. Poor bloke isn't having much luck, although I've a sneaky feeling that they wouldn't have caught Navardauskas anyway as they were all looking at each other and that would have been even worse with Sagan there and no one wanting to drag him to the line. Sagan's only hope for the stage win would probably have been a shit or bust attack himself to bring Navardauskas back himself.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Its been a great Tour for me , my first in HD,and delighted that a nice guy like Nibali is able to cash in on Froome and Contadors misfortune but very disturbing is the amount of young French gathering in the wings. So from GBs unassailable dominance of a year ago in all areas of cycling we suddenly find ourselves down to ONE man! Ok so maybe Geraint and Yates may come good in years to come but our list looks impoverished now compared to France. And i love seeing them fail at cycling like i'm sure they enjoy seeing us fail at football and tennis.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Its been a great Tour for me , my first in HD,and delighted that a nice guy like Nibali is able to cash in on Froome and Contadors misfortune but very disturbing is the amount of young French gathering in the wings. So from GBs unassailable dominance of a year ago in all areas of cycling we suddenly find ourselves down to ONE man! Ok so maybe Geraint and Yates may come good in years to come but our list looks impoverished now compared to France. And i love seeing them fail at cycling like i'm sure they enjoy seeing us fail at football and tennis.

I second that until you get to the bit about young French cyclists.

Personally I like to see French cyclists doing well, and especially youngsters coming through. Although I'm not really bothered by the nationality of a cyclist, more about the style with which they ride, French being the language of cycling just screams out for quality French riders to me. In terms of the Tour I first came to it just as Hinault was coming to the end of his reign and then enjoyed watching Fignon, but can't really remember any big hope (GC wise) since Virenque (sp?) who never lived up to expectation anyway and seemed limited to the KoM. So I'm pleased to see this new crop coming through. My favourite rider at the moment is also French, but I suspect Cyril Gautier will never be a Grand Tour GC rider but instead a worthy heir to Tommy V's special place in the sport.

No need to be too disheartened for our future hopes. Those Yates boys are going to be something really special I think, especially Adam. And if we're claiming the Irish as one of our own as we often tend to do, then young Sam Bennett could be the next Sean Kelly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No need to be too disheartened for our future hopes. Those Yates boys are going to be something really special I think, especially Adam. And if we're claiming the Irish as one of our own as we often tend to do, then young Sam Bennett could be the next Sean Kelly.
Tao Geoghegan Hart is likely to be the best of the lot.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tao Geoghegan Hart is likely to be the best of the lot.

Ooh, good heads up.

I'd never heard of him so did some googling and saw he came third in junior Paris-Nice (among other things) :thumbsup: The two ahead of him there have surnames that ring bells for me. Is the Van Hooydonck any relation of Edwig?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here