Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I think you have confused the $ rate and the EURO rate.

Here’s a graph of the GBP/EURO for the last 10 years. As you can see, it’s been as low as 1.02 in that time. Yes, Brexit uncertainty has caused the rate to drop, but markets hate uncertainty. It’s highest point in the last 10 years is 1.44 not 1.60.

I would estimate (from looking at the 10 year chart) the average rate has been close to 1.20 - 1.25.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
An absolutely embarrassing post, and a perfect example of everything that is wrong with modern day Britain.

Going back a few years, there was a poll on NSC about how we defined ourselves, British, English or European I think were the options. I was quite surprised that a significant minority of people defined themselves as European, so as I used to spend the summers photographing hotels and resorts all over Europe I thought that I'd ask people that I met (usually groups of people in their 20's) how they thought of themselves, whether they thought of themselves firstly as French/German/Spanish etc or as Firstly European. Nobody throughout the summer in the many resorts that I was in defined themselves as European, everyone that I spoke to said they thought of themselves firstly as German/ Spanish/French etc. In fact the French particularly used to get indignant and irritated that the question was even asked.

It's so depressing:nono:

This is an odd and unhelpful way to think about it though.

I am a 'Sussexer' (?)
I am English
I am British
I am European
I am a citizen of the world

None of these are mutually exclusive. If I drew a venn diagram, it would just be a series of circles within circles
I don't feel more strongly about one compared to another. There is no hierarchy. And I can't think why there has to be.

We can have different opinions about what sovereignty and governance - what power should lie at what level. But that is different from defining personal identity.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
This is an odd and unhelpful way to think about it though.

I am a 'Sussexer' (?)
I am English
I am British
I am European
I am a citizen of the world

None of these are mutually exclusive. If I drew a venn diagram, it would just be a series of circles within circles
I don't feel more strongly about one compared to another. There is no hierarchy. And I can't think why there has to be.

We can have different opinions about what sovereignty and governance - what power should lie at what level. But that is different from defining personal identity.

Yes, I'm talking about personal identity, which is a binary choice for me and many others.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
But why does it have to be binary? Genuine question. Being one does not exclude being any of the others.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But why does it have to be binary? Genuine question. Being one does not exclude being any of the others.
Because it is a matter of personal identity. I am British, and I am English; in no particular order - I'm equally happy and at ease with both. But European? - no, other than geographically; I feel no identity with Europe, and I don't love my continent over, say, North America or Asia. British - or English - though......yes, I am, through and through.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes, 100%. And I’ve never voted Labour in my life.

I’d rather someone centre left was leading the party but would put up with Corbyn for a few years if it meant staying in Europe.

My position exactly. I believe the statistics suggest that Labour will gain more pro-Europeans than it will lose traditional anti-immigrationalists.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Because it is a matter of personal identity. I am British, and I am English; in no particular order - I'm equally happy and at ease with both. But European? - no, other than geographically; I feel no identity with Europe, and I don't love my continent over, say, North America or Asia. British - or English - though......yes, I am, through and through.

Exactly. So It is NOT binary. If you can feel English and British, so you can also feel European. (you don't, I do, both valid)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perfect example of the EU in action.The ECB have decided the new 100 and 200 Euro notes should be smaller,so they fit better in wallets.Now over a million cash machines have to be altered to dispense the note.:mad:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Perfect example of the EU in action.The ECB have decided the new 100 and 200 Euro notes should be smaller,so they fit better in wallets.Now over a million cash machines have to be altered to dispense the note.:mad:

How is that different from all the British ATMs that had to be altered to take the new £1 coins? Blimey, there's a lot to hold the EU to account for but changes to currency isn't one of them

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Any news on more of your delicious American meat products? What’s the GAMMON like? Haha!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Put anything in charge as long as we remain in Europe it will be worth it and better than leaving. If we leave the UK ceases to exist, it will no longer be a country we were born and grew up in. Many of us will feel homeless.

A little extreme but I understand your fustration, but we are in a different place and are damaged goods, the Tories have done a spectacular job in creating an atmosphere is division.

If we leave the UK will still exist, but if we crash out there is a high probability it will no longer exist

Its all ifs right now, nothing is certain

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
How is that different from all the British ATMs that had to be altered to take the new £1 coins? Blimey, there's a lot to hold the EU to account for but changes to currency isn't one of them

Oh dear,and I thought you were quite intelligent.The new pound was an anti-counterfeiting measure,not a vanity item.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Any news on more of your delicious American meat products? What’s the GAMMON like? Haha!

What a shame you are such an insular racist.American meat tastes much nicer,and is more healthy,being raised outside the polluted atmosphere of mainland Europe.You just carry on being a caricature of an EU white supremacist,gives us such a laugh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a shame you are such an insular racist.American meat tastes much nicer,and is more healthy,being raised outside the polluted atmosphere of mainland Europe.You just carry on being a caricature of an EU white supremacist,gives us such a laugh.

Which particular meat are you talking about? Why is it healthier?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Personally, I prefer to be indentifiable and characterised by things other than my nationality. I hope I have progressed enough in life, and am interesting enough, so that I am defined by terms ahead of the default of my place of birth. But each to their own.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Like many people, and perhaps in particular like many supporters of habitually lower-league football clubs, I do have a sense of 'place'. I wouldn't say I am proud of my links with Brighton, or Sussex, or Lincolnshire, England or Britain because pride only comes from achievements, but I am pleased I have connections with those places. Most of the time I cheer them on in spirit.

The interesting one in that list is England. It is often singled out by flag-waving nationalists and populists and Brexit voters. Nothing wrong with that. England's green and pleasant land is where we come from. It is also a country that has no armed forces, no head of state, not even, really, a national anthem of its own. It has no parliament. And yet, many of us feel a strong affinity to it, in spite of the way it disgracefully lets itself down from time to time. A sense of place goes deeper than these totems, than politicians jeering at foreigners. It's a quiet thing for most of us. Remainers' fondness for their country is no less strong than anyone else's. It is just less shouty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Oh dear,and I thought you were quite intelligent.The new pound was an anti-counterfeiting measure,not a vanity item.

Seriously? You really are clutching at straws, now.

This change is nothing about 'vanity'. This too is an anti-counterfeiting measure - it is just that as they needed to renew the notes, they took the opportunity to alter the dimensions - to make their height standard with the lower denomination notes, and so EASIER for machines to process.

Even by your standards, an utterly pathetic effort.

The new €100 and €200 notes are a different size to the old €100 and €200 notes. Both denominations are now the same height as the €50 banknote. However, their length remains unchanged – the longer the note, the higher the value. Since the €50, €100 and €200 banknotes are now the same height, they can be more easily handled and processed by machines. They will also fit better in people’s wallets and last longer, as they will be subject to less wear and tear.

In addition to the security features that can be seen with the naked eye, euro banknotes also contain machine-readable security features. On the new €100 and €200 banknotes these features have been enhanced, and new ones have been added to enable the notes to be processed and authenticated swiftly. As Executive Board Member Yves Mersch highlighted in his speech unveiling the new banknotes, with the changeover to the new €100 and €200 the entire set of euro banknotes will continue to offer strong protection against counterfeiting. This makes euro banknotes even more secure, but also easier to check and handle."

http://www.stevenbron.nl/2018/09/19/ecb-presents-new-100-and-200-euro-banknotes/testomgeving

(apologies for posting a link - hopefully the internet goblins won't get me)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Which particular meat are you talking about? Why is it healthier?

Argentinian beef,Canadian pork,are raised in much less polluted surroundings,so must be healthier than European products.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here