Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton out- Discuss

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Is that the same Danny Murphy who has never even dipped his toes in the Football Mangement waters but thinks he knows everything about it.

Let me ask you this - What do you do when you are Managing a football team and preparing to play a particular opponent

1. You get your own players prepared as much as you can but

2. And just as importantly you watch their previous games to see what it might take to beat them.

They have lost 3 and in every one of those 3 games Spurs have had 54% 60% and 66% possession - so it is not hard to understand that you can concede possession to Spurs. Let them burn themselves out physically and hit them on the counter attack as a means of beating them.

OK it didn't happen because on the counter attack we squandered our opportunities but with a bit more composure in the final third by a few of our players we could quite conceivably have done the same as Watford, Inter Milan and Liverpool did to them.

So I think the tactics were fine but we just didn't have the ''cutting edge'' when we got into scoring opportunities.

While I agree I do feel we rarely come out and try to boss the game from the first whistle. Look at our restarts we knock the ball to Duffy who stops it for Dunk to lump it towards Murray and we lose possession. Look at Spurs they have the confidence to get the ball down and play it about.

We are a good side just need confidence to keep the ball and let the opposition do the running about. We have the players not the tactics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stick him in, if he is the next wonder lad, it's not as if he is a 10 year old.

Let him prove himself and grow some balls, this form of control is way too protective IMO, if he doesn't play he will never learn and be a world beater. I am sure he is hungry enough.

Yeah that'll work.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Teams without the ball have to cover more ground in chasing the ball (and shadows).

YES but teams like Spurs play some brilliant passing balls through teams in the middle of the pitch, if you commit further forward so its better when you get them to try and commit their full backs further forward and then try to turn over possession in the middle of the park and then counter them.

By next week we could have played 5 of the current Top 6 in the league. After that I am liking the look of the run of fixtures. I think you might see us be a bit more committal in those fixtures, especially at home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And sticking your fingers in your ears and singing ding a ling a ling doesn't help. The negatives are that our away form is abysmal and we stayed up last year because of what we achieved at the Amex. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest our away form is going to improve so we are going to have to rely on the home form again.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. Ding a ling ding a ling.

I thought you wanted a discussion, not an exchange of schoolboy taunts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think some of our fans think they are supporting a better team than Brighton. Sad that a thread like this is even started, the op should have a word with himself after thinking how far we have come since CH arrived. Whether we like it or not survival is all that actually matters now that we are at the top table, we are on course to give ourselves a chance. We are not going to be one of the attractive teams in this division for a while, if ever.

I’m really warming to your voice of positivity :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hughton in. Discussion not needed.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everybody OUT.

Mourinho might be looking for another job sometime [emoji1782][emoji48][emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This.

Nothing to discuss.

Great manager, lucky to have him.

I agree, as per our other discussion I think too much emphasis is placed on managers for performances. I honestly don’t see any difference in how we set up yesterday to MU other than we didn’t play as well and the opposition got at us more.

I don’t see CH micro managing in a game either, he lets it flow and let’s his players take responsibility. We’ve been praised for the intensity of our high press this season, but it also highlights how difficult it is to carry that out effectively.

One other thing people aren’t mentioning form the last 2 games is the absence of Gross, massive miss, he is so under appreciated in what he brings to the team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree, as per our other discussion I think too much emphasis is placed on managers for performances. I honestly don’t see any difference in how we set up yesterday to MU other than we didn’t play as well and the opposition got at us more.

I don’t see CH micro managing in a game either, he lets it flow and let’s his players take responsibility. We’ve been praised for the intensity of our high press this season, but it also highlights how difficult it is to carry that out effectively.

One other thing people aren’t mentioning form the last 2 games is the absence of Gross, massive miss, he is so under appreciated in what he brings to the team.

Agree to a point, but it doesn’t mean he is always right [emoji2]

Yesterday, initially, I think we were too deep and showed too much respect. I also wouldn’t have removed Solly as he had the beating of Trippier.

All opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Agree to a point, but it doesn’t mean he is always right [emoji2]

Yesterday, initially, I think we were too deep and showed too much respect. I also wouldn’t have removed Solly as he had the beating of Trippier.

All opinions.

Your right, but the substitution of Solly would have been mapped out before the match regardless of how he has played, they couldn't believe it on the box, another strange decision notched up by what appears to be pre-planned, it's happened to Knocky before and I just get the feeling it's his regimented approach to his match plan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Groß is a big miss, plus although Montoya is playing really well, Bruno's leadership is one ingredient which could be needed.
Last season, we had several strong leaders on the pitch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Groß is a big miss, plus although Montoya is playing really well, Bruno's leadership is one ingredient which could be needed.
Last season, we had several strong leaders on the pitch.

Great point re Bruno.

Montoya is very good, but we are missing Bruno.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have a look at the West Ham vs Chelsea stats. I tried to watch this game but it was so Hughtonesque from West Ham that I decided to turn off after 10 mins. Strange how easy it is to lose interest when it’s not your team playing like that :smile:

OK they got a draw but had one yes just one shot on target with 28% possession and what I watched was 10 WHU players behind the ball breaking quicker than us when they did break though.

It seems CH is not the only one employing these tactics in the PL against the top teams, even at home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed Icy, but without a striker than can run faster than me, we're ****ed on the break. As is clear to see.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed Icy, but without a striker than can run faster than me, we're ****ed on the break. As is clear to see.

Which is why I’d play Locadia against City :smile:

100% free hit, we are really going to get feck all at the Etihad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have a look at the West Ham vs Chelsea stats. I tried to watch this game but it was so Hughtonesque from West Ham that I decided to turn off after 10 mins. Strange how easy it is to lose interest when it’s not your team playing like that :smile:

OK they got a draw but had one yes just one shot on target with 28% possession and what I watched was 10 WHU players behind the ball breaking quicker than us when they did break though.

It seems CH is not the only one employing these tactics in the PL against the top teams, even at home.

We actually have very promising attempts on goals stats, even better than Hudd & Newcastle.

IMG_2868.PNG

But not sure how Bmuff, Palace, Fulham & Wolves have managed so many more than us this season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We actually have very promising attempts on goals stats, even better than Hudd & Newcastle.

View attachment 100807

But not sure how Bmuff, Palace, Fulham & Wolves have managed so many more than us this season.

We have scored more goals than Palace, more than Wolves who everyone is tossing off over and more than everyone below us except Fulham, who we’re level with.

Attacking isn’t our issue in terms of goals scored. In fact, given those attempts stats, we seem to be finishing better chances more clinically

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not sure I agree. We were more reserved yesterday than we were against MU. Whether that was due to the players or CH's instructions is a different point, but just have a look at Danny Murphy's analysis on MotD about how we held back yesterday. We went for it from the off against United and ended up with three goals in the first half. We only really started playing yesterday in the second half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here