Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Whiter than white

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
FFS! Racism is a serious matter - the fight against racism is made to look stupid by twaddle like this. Call out racism where there is racism, don't devalue the cause by calling out racism when it isn't there!
Don't they teach kids the tale of The Boy Who Cried Wolf any more? Too wolfist, I suppose.............................

Precisely. Racism is when something is said with intent. If someone uses an antiquated term or phrase in error meaning no malice they are not a racist. I often hear people use the phrases coloured or half caste but it does not immediately make them a racist, they are just unaware that language has changed.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I suppose the one could lead to the other. That is: White = pure and clean; ergo Black = impure, dirty. So, if someone wished it to be analogous with race, it could be argued that way. But if we are heading that way, there are so many other things that could trip people up.

Remember the Cumberbatch saga a few years back, when he referred to 'coloured actors' and was roundly criticised and told he should have said 'black' or 'actors of colour'. I was watching something on BBC4 the other night and a black lady referred to 'us coloured people'. So, the whole thing is rather confusing, and seems to change from week to week.

Language is cultural too. My SA friend uses the term coloured to describe himself and they still use half caste too.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I
Remember the Cumberbatch saga a few years back, when he referred to 'coloured actors' and was roundly criticised and told he should have said 'black' or 'actors of colour'. I was watching something on BBC4 the other night and a black lady referred to 'us coloured people'. So, the whole thing is rather confusing, and seems to change from week to week.

It seems strange to me that the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP) in the USA have not seen fit to change their title in the hundred years or so of their history.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
As mentioned by others. Click bait story and can guarantee no disaplinary action will be taken unless the officer actually said something more than what is being reported.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It doesn't, but was subsequently used as a derogatory term to describe black people. We don't live in a cultural vacuum, and some phrases just take hold.

A weird one, if we're talking etymologically, is the phrase 'Paki' as an insult. It is a shortened word to describe people from Pakistan, in the same way other central Asian nations and regions are shortened - 'Uzbek', 'Tajik', 'Afghan', 'Turkmen' etc - all with 'istan' removed from the end to note their demonym, and yet, the demonym for people from Pakistan is considered offensive, principally because it was often used in an abusive and offensive manner.

This.

Of course it is racist - when it's meant to be. In the 70s and 80s it was commonly used, along with 'spade a shovel', in a 'deniable' way of being racist. 'What?' (smirking). Just like a certain person posts things on here then adds :rolleyes: or :whistle:

:wanker:

Either the OP is doing the same or he's a bit thick.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
FFS! Racism is a serious matter - the fight against racism is made to look stupid by twaddle like this. Call out racism where there is racism, don't devalue the cause by calling out racism when it isn't there!
Don't they teach kids the tale of The Boy Who Cried Wolf any more? Too wolfist, I suppose.............................

This.

It's because of shite like this that ordinary people who want to understand more about race issues are afraid to enter the conversation, let alone voice an opinion.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I suppose the one could lead to the other. That is: White = pure and clean; ergo Black = impure, dirty. So, if someone wished it to be analogous with race, it could be argued that way.

It's getting to critical mass now, all this racism stuff. Yes, the 60's, 70's and early 80's were one swing side of the pendulum (wrong), and now we're at the other side of the swing (wrong) where it's just ridiculous. In the middle, when everyone stops being a prick and starts being sensible about it, is 'right'.

The worst case scenario will be where a white person is actually afraid to speak to a black person (or even vice versa) in case they say something which can be construed as 'offensive' or racist. Mistrust and fear will actually mentally segregate people, to the point they think ' you know what, I can't be arsed with tip-toeing around and having to think about every word I say. I'd rather just not bother..'

I've never seen anyone who was actually jet black (apart from the odd Welsh coal miner after a shift), only varying shades of brown anyway. Case dismissed. We can all go home now. :glare:

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a waste of time and mental energy.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As mentioned by others. Click bait story and can guarantee no disaplinary action will be taken unless the officer actually said something more than what is being reported.

"The highly respected officer has been placed on restricted duties while the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates and has reportedly been warned the inquiry may take up to 12 months to complete."

Action has already been taken against the officer by placing them on restricted duties. Consequently, it can't be written off as nothing.

Far too often the term 'clickbait' is being used these days to instantly dismiss anything that doesn't fit the desired narrative or align with the viewpoint held..

See also 'fake news'.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"The highly respected officer has been placed on restricted duties while the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates and has reportedly been warned the inquiry may take up to 12 months to complete."

Which means a highly respected and experienced Police Officer is now prevented from doing his job properly. I bet the local criminals are well chuffed about that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I suppose the one could lead to the other. That is: White = pure and clean; ergo Black = impure, dirty. So, if someone wished it to be analogous with race, it could be argued that way. But if we are heading that way, there are so many other things that could trip people up.

it can only be argued that way if people want to say Black=impure and then go onto apply that to people. it hasnt normally meant that, check a thesaurus, might be used occasionaly used as adjective with dirt. its ironic, those seeking to clense the language of insults and offense, end up creating offense where there wasnt any.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
it can only be argued that way if people want to say Black=impure and then go onto apply that to people. it hasnt normally meant that, check a thesaurus, might be used occasionaly used as adjective with dirt. its ironic, those seeking to clense the language of insults and offense, end up creating offense where there wasnt any.

Yes, I think that's the point. It's getting to the stage where those who wish to are looking beyond the historic/real meaning of phrases and extrapolating them to race. Which will basically mean that many commonly used phrases could become 'wrong', and many of us will use them not knowing that this has changed. As I say, confusing times.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Action has already been taken against the officer by placing them on restricted duties. Consequently, it can't be written off as nothing.

Far too often the term 'clickbait' is being used these days to instantly dismiss anything that doesn't fit the desired narrative or align with the viewpoint held..

See also 'fake news'.

Sorry but bollocks. If you read the story, a complaint has been made (a ridiculous one in my opinion), the matter has to be investigated as a matter of process and to avoid things being swept under the carpet as in days gone by. Once the matter has been investigated the officer will either begin formal disaplinary proceedings or it will be found that no case exists to answer. The headline and tag line of the article that a senior police officer is facing the sack is sensationalism, poor journalism and is the only thing that is being used to fit a narrative.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It doesn't, but was subsequently used as a derogatory term to describe black people. We don't live in a cultural vacuum, and some phrases just take hold.

A weird one, if we're talking etymologically, is the phrase 'Paki' as an insult. It is a shortened word to describe people from Pakistan, in the same way other central Asian nations and regions are shortened - 'Uzbek', 'Tajik', 'Afghan', 'Turkmen' etc - all with 'istan' removed from the end to note their demonym, and yet, the demonym for people from Pakistan is considered offensive, principally because it was often used in an abusive and offensive manner.

Of course it didnt,no more than an italian being descrived as an Iti,its just a shortening

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sorry but bollocks. If you read the story, a complaint has been made (a ridiculous one in my opinion), the matter has to be investigated as a matter of process and to avoid things being swept under the carpet as in days gone by. Once the matter has been investigated the officer will either begin formal disaplinary proceedings or it will be found that no case exists to answer. The headline and tag line of the article that a senior police officer is facing the sack is sensationalism, poor journalism and is the only thing that is being used to fit a narrative.

Respectfully, I read the article carefully.

If the inquiry can take up to 12 months and restricted duties have already been enforced, then it's being taken seriously by the IOPC.

The description of 'clickbait' simply isn't accurate in this case. It's factual and real regardless of how unbelievable and spurious it may seem.

The headline of "Senior officer faces action for saying 'whiter than white' is accurate. If found guilty, he will face action for using those words.

It's possible that we have a different understanding of what the term 'clickbait' entails.

Merriam-Webster's definition of 'clickbait' is as follows:

"something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest"

Personally, I wouldn't agree that this story is of dubious value or interest as public safety is involved. You may well have a different opinion.

We might have to politely agree to disagree here.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The only use this ridiculous matter can have is to highlight how silly the world has become. Real racism needs to be stamped on hard. This should have been cleared up with a quick statement explaining to the sensitive souls out there that "Whiter than white" means beyond reproach and is not a reference to skin colour. End of.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here