Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working 9 to 5

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Until my company unceremoniously closed it doors without notice 3 weeks ago I had been having one weekday evening off for about 17 years. 9 to 5 would seem quite strange now.

The dole office have told me they expect me to spend 35 hours a week looking for work. At least I get to choose them. Inevitably I use the evenings were possible. Force of habit.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
For the last 5 years have worked 4 days per week reducing my hours to just 30 now. Paid off the mortgage a few years ago and now want a better work/life balance as I do find my job fairly tedious although well paid. A few investments in property and planning to retire at 55. Best decision I made going to a 4 day week, although easier for me as I don't have children to support.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Having two jobs, my days vary.

Self employed: Depends on the workload but can be 10-12 hours a day, as something may pop up or a client want something urgently. I try to split my day up and do a fair bit of work late at night (website moves, go lives etc).
Retail: I work 16 hrs a week so all day Sundays and two evenings a week, usually 6pm-10pm, so a day CAN be 7am-midnight (though not solid, I may find the XBox magically turns on and a controller appears in my hand...)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Last job was teaching. 7:30 to 12:30 with 50% of time in the staff room. 5 minutes walk from home. 26 weeks a year holiday. Was able to quit the rat race after those 2 years in Saudi and haven't worked for anyone since 1996.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lecture 12-3 Fridays, October- March, have office hours earlier that day. Arrange tutorials half a day a week online so can do that from home. Put in an appearance occasionally for meetings and marking exams. Media interviews take up a bit of time as need to be researched but overall I'm very lucky. Run a consultancy in my spare time so pick and choose the hours.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
9-5, but am waiting for the time to change it to 4. I don't earn much money, but if i can work less and have a bit more energy, it'll be worth it. I tell myself that i'll start a course and expand out of the role i am already in, which doesn't require an enormous amount of IQ, but really i know i will spend that day without company catching up with what is on my tivo, or heading to the cinema. I'll feel bad at the end of it, knowing how little i'll've achieved, but film's film and i cannae do without it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Loosely 9.00 - 5.30, but with just a 10 minute 'commute' so work / life balance pretty good. Leave the house at 08.30, breakfast in Waitrose (free coffee) on the way and at my desk by 9.00. Meet my wife for lunch, and home by 18.00. Could earn more elsewhere, I'm sure, but not fussed. All good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I aim for 08:30 - 17:30 and take an hour for lunch. Reality is I often do a few extra hours during the week but usually balance it out with a shorter Friday. Commute is a 10 minute cycle ride...or tram ride if I'm going somewhere after work. I'm happy with this and wouldn't like shifts; I prefer to know where I stand with evenings and weekends. Also, after years of getting up too early and/or silly commuting, me and the wife now have a 7am rule-we don't get up before 7am for work. This works well and means we have a life during the week. It has limited where we can live though.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'm supposed to work 8 - 4:30 but it more like 9:30 - 3:00. My boss is pretty relaxed and working in IT, I can always connect the laptop up and sort any issues remotely that might crop up which rarely ever do. Oh and work 5 mins from home. Work/life balance is great.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yup. Years ago I used to work at The Grand and on Saturdays had to co a split shift if I wanted to go to football. Start 6am, finish 10:30, football in afternoon, then back to work for 6.30pm until around midnight

Seriously hard core industry to work in, it makes me shudder when I think of the blood and sweat I've lost to cooking, the relationships that have ended and the friends I've lost touch with, all because it's such a demanding job that consumes you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
6 hours teaching between 9.30 and 19.10 Monday and Wednesday, 3 and half hours between 11.45 and 18.00 Tuesday and Thursday, then just an hour and a half on a Friday morning. Planning, marking etc fitted around that. Could be worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here