NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sadly in a coma, critical condition following a car crash

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
He was still writing and recording 30+ years after his first record deal. His voice never lost its rich, cool strength. I first saw him live in Folkestone in (I think) 1989 and a further four times after that. I corresponded with him a couple of times on Facebook through the years and last year he used one of my photographs of a past show as the poster for what proved to be his final tour. He allowed me to bring my camera that night too and after all those years I was finally able to meet him. He was genial and very giving of his time. Sadly, as it was the final night of that tour, it proved to be his final gig.

I am proud to say that he chose one of my shots that night to be his official Facebook page picture and that this has been used as the final image in the BBC report linked by Box of Frogs at #2. I cannot thank the man enough. He was supportive of my fledgling photographic efforts and provided me with not only with an iconic track of my youth but several wonderful live shows covering three decades. He might not have changed the world with his music but he made it a nicer place for many, many people.

Goodbye Colin and thanks.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
His final live show :cry:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Great photos [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never heard of him, or the song (the only 'Wonderful Life' I remember was a naff record by Louis Armstrong), but hey, RIP to the man.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Thanks Mr. Frogs. He was very kind in allowing me free tickets, my long lens and a front row seat. He was a singer, songwriter, painter and poet. Creativity was in his blood and he was so happy to help me out in my efforts. I am going to miss him a lot.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Never heard of him, or the song (the only 'Wonderful Life' I remember was a naff record by Louis Armstrong), but hey, RIP to the man.

Has this never blipped on your musical radar?

And if not, this is running on TV currently...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. Not eve a glimmer of recognition.
I had three daughters growing up in the 80s and 90s, so the house was always full of music (must have included most of the numbers in the 'Now, That's What I Call Music' tapes too) - but this? No, just nothing I'm afraid.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
These days pop stars are falling by the wayside faster than managers. Lemmy, Bowie, Glenn Frey, Mott the Hoople drummer, Jimmy Bain of Rainbow and now Black. And still Glitter lives on :(

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So sad to hear that Colin Vearncombe of Black has died. They may not have had many albums but I loved 'Wonderful Life' so much that I had it on tape - played it to death and then on CD. In fact it was the very first CD I bought. I still listen to it often and I think it's stood the test of time so well. I have all the other albums too and even saw the band a fair few times but nothing comes close, for me, to that wonderful debut album. And what an opening song. That album has so many qualities, not least Vearncombe's beautifully melodic singing, the bitterest, sweetest lyrics and the subtle melancholic orchestrations and it's undoubtedly very English and it's unashamedly pop.

I stayed away from paying tribute to Bowie over the last month because, having never really given Bowie the attention he deserved, any words from me would either be a bit fraudulent or other more eloquent people would have already said what I felt. Bowie's death shocked me whereas Vearncombe's has moved me because of the strength of feelings I have for his music and especially that first album. RIP Colin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_k3XCb_rWQ

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Saw him at the Albert Hall 1990 ish, Wonderful Life remains the soppy 'our tune' for me and my wife.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sweetest Smile was always may favourite.

'I think my heart must be made of clay
Cause everyone said it would be broken some day
And now I've come to that fateful day
So I sit on the floor with my head in my hands
And don't tell me how to make it pay I write a new song every day
I just wish I was made of wood
I might not feel pain even if I should
Even if I should '

How sad, RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here