Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Skalak's shirley a goner, at least on loan. Won't ever cut it at PL level in my humble opinion.

Need to find a club first!

We were rumoured to have paid around £2m for him, I don't imagine we would get that back at this point; he hasn't played for a year and was only backup in the Champ. Perhaps a loan first would be necessary in order to put him in the shop window in order to generate an acceptable fee. Do we know when his contract finishes?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We were rumoured to have paid around £2m for him, I don't imagine we would get that back at this point; he hasn't played for a year and was only backup in the Champ. Perhaps a loan first would be necessary in order to put him in the shop window in order to generate an acceptable fee. Do we know when his contract finishes?

The club can't be looking at a material fee. Need to reduce our wage bill and give squad places to PL able players.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I don’t think we paid anywhere near 2 million for Skalak, trying to get that back isn’t going to figure into our transfer planning all the time we are in the PL. He’s out of contact at the end of the coming season, so I suspect he’d be available for a heavily discounted price, if not for free. Possibly a deal similar to Lua Lua going to Sunderland which was them effectively taking over the remainder of his contact.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nah...everything before the prem has been expunged from my memory.

I always thought he wasn't up to it...for me he was a bit like the Barnes argument.....some think he was great nad some don't. I'm one who didn't!

He is also very injury prone.
37 appearances (including cup) in our promotion year

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
His overall games/goals doesn't really have the context he played left midfielder in his first season with us and more of a between the lines type role after that.

I accept he is likely to go as he'll want to be playing games and he'll struggle to here but if he was in our squad next season I'd be ok with that. Good pro, good attitude.

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
As you say his partnership with Tomer Hemed was great, perhaps Reading could do a lot worse than bidding for both.

Definitely. Any Championship club could come to us and buy a ready-made quality Championship strike partnership. (Assuming they've got the money of course).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And best ‘secondary striker’ stats in the division.........by a distance.

It's no good supplying facts when I am driven by bigoted ambivalence. I thought he was rubbish and I stick by it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t think we paid anywhere near 2 million for Skalak, trying to get that back isn’t going to figure into our transfer planning all the time we are in the PL. He’s out of contact at the end of the coming season, so I suspect he’d be available for a heavily discounted price, if not for free. Possibly a deal similar to Lua Lua going to Sunderland which was them effectively taking over the remainder of his contact.

Talking of which, KLL, age 27 but no club. Waste of talent.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Baldock on his way to Reading?

Any links?

Sure.

2nd best Secondary Striker (on goals ratio and assists) that season. Scored every 2.9 games in that position and assisted every 9.6 games.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fernando-forestieri/leistungsdaten/spieler/44948/plus/0?saison=2016

Best Secondary Striker (on goals ratio and assists) that season. Scored every 2.75 games (infinitely better goals than FF) in that position and assisted every 7.3 games.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sam-baldock/leistungsdaten/spieler/67211/plus/0?saison=2016

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We're allowed 17 non-HGP. We've currently got Ryan, Bruno, Schelotto, Bong, Suttner, Bernardo, Balogun, Propper, Kayal, Gross, Izquierdo, Knockaert, Hemed, Andone, Locadia and Skalak. Which is 16, including a couple of players we expect might be moved on. So still room to move.

The other 8 players allowed must be home-grown, for which Button, Steele, Dunk, Duffy, Stephens, March, Murray are 7 we expect to have in there, plus Baldock, Towell and Norwood are still with us.

Murray definitely isn’t HG. Is Towell?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Murray definitely is. I don't know about Towell, but I reckon thats a moot point.

It’s a moot point as he won’t make the 25 but Richie Towell isn’t a HGP, his youth career was in Ireland and Scotland. Only time spent at clubs associated with the FA or Welsh FA are considered for HGPs.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Skalak's shirley a goner, at least on loan. Won't ever cut it at PL level in my humble opinion.

In everybodies humble opinion l would imagine! The trouble is, for a player to leave, either permanantly or on loan, another club has to want him, and in Skalak's case that doesnt seem to be happening.

A concern to me is that he seems to be happy to sit on his lucrative contract raking in the cash, rather than be out there actually playing football. I'm surprised that knowing he has absolutely zero chance of making it in the Premier League here, he doesn't demand a transfer. His seeming lack of ambition may well be a cause of concern to would be suitors too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here