Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Knife Sets

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations for knife sets? Not looking to spend stupid money but around £100 would be okay.

Thanks!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does anyone have any recommendations for knife sets? Not looking to spend stupid money but around £100 would be okay.

Thanks!
Yes. Don't get one. Get a decent chef's knife, a bread knife, and a pairing or utility knife. Done.

Depending on how you like to use the knives, I can give you some more specific advice.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes. Don't get one. Get a decent chef's knife, a bread knife, and a pairing or utility knife. Done.

And learn how to sharpen. Don't EVER use one of those V-shaped carbide "sharpeners", they pull far too much steel off.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012

Depending on how you like to use the knives, I can give you some more specific advice.

Yeah this was what I was deciding between.. buying separately or a set?

Any pros/cons to santoku knives over chefs knives?

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015

This........assuming utility same as tomato knife, if not they v handy as well!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah this was what I was deciding between.. buying separately or a set?
Don't buy a set. Decision made. You're welcome.

Any pros/cons to santoku knives over chefs knives?
Yes. A santoku is obviously Japanese, so getting a proper one would mean getting a hand made Japanese knife, which has pros and cons. You could get a western version, but that's a bit weird. They don't have a pointy end, so ladies like them. They're not as versatile as a chef's knife, but they cut things. Depends what you're cutting and what technique you use.

Personally I've gone for Japanese knives. Harder, sharper, better edge retention. But not as robust/forgiving as western knives. They're more for knife nuts I think. A decent Wusthof chef's knife is a good buy. Something like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wusthof-Cl...1526050738&sr=8-1&keywords=wusthof+chef+knife
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wüsthof-CL...50862&sr=8-2&keywords=wusthof+chef+knife+ikon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wüsthof-CL...1526050911&sr=8-4&keywords=wusthof+chef+knife
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wusthof-Cl...pID=31mGe-9kJNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This........assuming utility same as tomato knife, if not they v handy as well!
No it's not. A tomato knife probably has a serrated blade to get through the skin, but a chef knife or utility knife can do that fine if it's sharpened well. Serrated knives can still get through food after they've dulled, which is handy because you can't sharpen them. You need one for crusty bread, but otherwise straight edges give a nice cut, without tearing the food.

A utility knife is just something a bit bigger than a pairing knife - maybe 5 or 6", useful for a variety of tasks when you don't want to use your chef's knife.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was making a little Ramsey Done joke, but I'm not a fan of his tv persona :)

I'm guessing you might've been or still a chef.
My wife was a chef for over 20 years, and kept the same set of knives, but made sure they were sharpened regularly.
Could've been a bit like Triggers broom, if not :)

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
No it's not. A tomato knife probably has a serrated blade to get through the skin, but a chef knife or utility knife can do that fine if it's sharpened well. Serrated knives can still get through food after they've dulled, which is handy because you can't sharpen them. You need one for crusty bread, but otherwise straight edges give a nice cut, without tearing the food.

A utility knife is just something a bit bigger than a pairing knife - maybe 5 or 6", useful for a variety of tasks when you don't want to use your chef's knife.

Then would defo suggest tomato knife as well, used mine for all sorts during my chefing days!! But as Trigg says those 4 knives will pretty much do anything u need in the kitchen cutting wise! Obv lots of other handy bits of equipment such as palette knives, melon ballers etc etc blah blah but all depends what you are looking to do!!

Wusthof are great knives and I also loved my Zwilling Henckels but what I would suggest is to go to a local stockist like Steamer Trading(never ever suggesting buy from here!) or Nisbets and try out a few different brands as you may prefer the feel of one rather than others which you obv cant gauge online!! As example I hated the feel of the Global handles if I ever had to borrow one in a kitchen!!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
One other thing when getting your main chefs knife is make sure you get a size that is going to suffice what you intend using for, 20-25cm should be good but if you are looking at working with pastry or cutting up bigger cooked things into even portions with straight lines then you might want a bigger 30cm one

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looked at this thread title several times and assumed it was the silly advert that Bozza uses to cover his cocaine habit. What do I know, eh? Sadly nothing about knives - sorry, OP.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Not the best knives but the x50 range from procook are good for the money. You can get a free santoku knife (not a proper hand crafted Japanese one obviously) if you spend over £50.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here