Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier." OK, if you say so. So Confetti are spikiest of all.

I'm not sure I can make sense of the ordering here, except the whole looks a bit like the Isle of Wight. Still, I'm easily pleased: quite happy just to work through the list of names, thinking "Like them; don't like them" etc. Strawberry Whiplash are on here, but no Strawberry Story - where's the quality control? AND, the first name I looked for (of course) was Lawrence and the Comfortable Society. Was it there? Was it heck! I think we all remember sitting cross-legged on the floor during assembly at Wymondham College listening to Leigh crooning out Heartache before double French. Lovely days...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm not sure I can make sense of the ordering here, except the whole looks a bit like the Isle of Wight. Still, I'm easily pleased: quite happy just to work through the list of names, thinking "Like them; don't like them" etc. Strawberry Whiplash are on here, but no Strawberry Story - where's the quality control? AND, the first name I looked for (of course) was Lawrence and the Comfortable Society. Was it there? Was it heck! I think we all remember sitting cross-legged on the floor during assembly at Wymondham College listening to Leigh crooning out Heartache before double French. Lovely days...

When we're all old and demented well meaning University of the Third Age flunkies will come to our privatised old peoples' homes to play Heartache to us, looking for the flicker of recognition which proves that a remnant of our youth still remains lodged in there... somewhere.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
When we're all old and demented well meaning University of the Third Age flunkies will come to our privatised old peoples' homes to play Heartache to us, looking for the flicker of recognition which proves that a remnant of our youth still remains lodged in there... somewhere.

Leigh's shop (richter & pope) in Guildford that sells linen tea towels, pieces of rope and savon de Marseille is doing very well, plus he usually plays some rare L&TCS tracks on a loop in the shop, unless he's playing the Seven Davis Jr album. It's well worth a browse, although I felt obliged to purchase an extremely shiny trowel with a chunky wooden handle to avoid an awkward exit - the shop is quite narrow with the till near the door.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Another great actic find at the weekend. Shame about the corner tears. Thinking of taking this along when I go to see The June Brides at the end of the month and getting them to sign it. But maybe not....

image.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
June Brides tonight anyone?

Can't make it I'm afraid, and I'm not sure what my opinion is on seeing reformed C86 bands - clearly, it could be a lot of fun, but I can imagine it may be tinged with melancholy, trudging home in the rain, putting on "You'll Never Be That Young Again" when you get in, digging out those old 7" singles from the attic. Actually, sounds right up my street - I'll look out for them next time. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] would be mad for this, but it may be a little inconvenient for him.

Flex Your Head

I'm not sure what my opinion is on seeing reformed C86 bands

Me neither, but I have to admit that they (June Brides) were far better than I thought they would be at Indietracks last year. Brilliant Corners were even better, which was really surprising as they always left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed back in the 80s.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am going to The June Brides and will report back later in the weekend. At £8 I could not say no really. Just hope for a bit of Disneyland.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't make it I'm afraid, and I'm not sure what my opinion is on seeing reformed C86 bands - clearly, it could be a lot of fun, but I can imagine it may be tinged with melancholy, trudging home in the rain, putting on "You'll Never Be That Young Again" when you get in, digging out those old 7" singles from the attic. Actually, sounds right up my street - I'll look out for them next time. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] would be mad for this, but it may be a little inconvenient for him.
100% would have been, but just got back (to Winchester) from Cardiff after taking the lad for a look around the Uni. Shame.

As mentioned a while back, loving the new School album. Didn't meet Liz in Cardiff either :down:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thought June Brides were pretty good but not outstanding last night - after what seemed a bit of a nervy start and to my ears not a great sound early on, it got better as it went on. What was the chant of Seagulls from the trumpeter about? I Fall was the stand out for me. Pretty poor turn out could not have helped - Green Door Store (what a great venue - love it every time I go there) only about half full. Good reminder though that the June Brides do have some great songs.

Really enjoyed the support band - The Fallen Leaves - sound and venue seemed better suited to them.

Onto Joanna Gruesome on Tuesday.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thought June Brides were pretty good but not outstanding last night - after what seemed a bit of a nervy start and to my ears not a great sound early on, it got better as it went on. What was the chant of Seagulls from the trumpeter about? I Fall was the stand out for me. Pretty poor turn out could not have helped - Green Door Store (what a great venue - love it every time I go there) only about half full. Good reminder though that the June Brides do have some great songs.

Really enjoyed the support band - The Fallen Leaves - sound and venue seemed better suited to them.

Onto Joanna Gruesome on Tuesday.

Agree with you about venue ( great smell of damp) and not being helped by poor ish turn out. I thought with it being a Friday more people would have been up for it. Respect due to the one individual who did get to the very front and dance but he was very much on his own. The band themselves were pretty good I thought and very much how I remember them just twenty five ish years older. Support Fallen Leaves I did not know much about but judging from their ages and the amount of merchandise they have been around a while. They went down well but not sure what the flask of 'tea' was in aid of. Anyway- for those interested in this type of thing here is the set list-
Instrumental, January Moon, Conversation, I'm Undone, This Town, I Fall, On The Rocks, Josef's Gone, Better Days, 10 Miles, Sick Tired, Quite Free, Cold, In The Rain.
And yes...no Disneyland.

attwood

Aug 1, 2006
The chant of 'Seagulls by the trumpeter is easily explained: Jon Hunter is an Albion fan with a season ticket in the Upper West

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The chant of 'Seagulls by the trumpeter is easily explained: Jon Hunter is an Albion fan with a season ticket in the Upper West

Ah thanks- I did n't know that or indeed that they had any local connection. This makes the low turn out even harder to understand.

Flex Your Head

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here