Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Birmingham (h)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Some generous ratings for me. Thought we were poor.

6 - average

Stockdale 6
Bruno 7
Bong 7
Dunk 6
Uwe 8
Knockaert 7
Kayal 5 - looked tired
Stephens 7
March 7
Murray 7
Hemed 5

Tomori 7
Norwood 5 - goal his fault
Murphy 6

Actually looking at mine, I think I've been too generous as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably agree with most of those. I didn't think we ever got going in the first half after the goal, and I think we were quite fortunate to find ourselves 3-0 up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Norwood missed his tackle in the build up to their goal. Down to him, rarely wins a 50/50 challenge. Passes well but that's not enough.

It was actually 2x 50/50 challenges he lost in the circa 1min buildup to the goal. He can play in a 442 it just needs to be with Stephens, we won many games that way.

Watching a different game to me....

March was much better than Knockaert
And Kayal much less sloppy than Stephens and his pass for the opening goal exceptional.
Hemed was working his socks off in there also, plus topped it off with a goal.
Even Bong who i always worry about after lay offs was very good in my opinion, up to speed very well

Knockaert made the run and pass for Bruno for the first goal. He provided the layoff again for Bruno to deliver the cross for the second, and he put the ball in from the free kick for the third. Again, a 'bad' game for him is quite a productive one.

Kayal's passing range was good last night, but he definitely looked jaded. Stephens may have made an error or two, but this is likely considering he must touch the ball more than any other player in almost every game. Aside from that he was his usual self breaking up play and covering his CBs and was definitely the stronger of our two CMs, as evidenced by losing the midfield when he came off.

Bong seems to have shaken off his slow buildup to form, it was as if he'd never been injured last night.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It was actually 2x 50/50 challenges he lost in the circa 1min buildup to the goal. He can play in a 442 it just needs to be with Stephens, we won many games that way.

Knockaert made the run and pass for Bruno for the first goal. He provided the layoff again for Bruno to deliver the cross for the second, and he put the ball in from the free kick for the third. Again, a 'bad' game for him is quite a productive one.

Kayal's passing range was good last night, but he definitely looked jaded. Stephens may have made an error or two, but this is likely considering he must touch the ball more than any other player in almost every game. Aside from that he was his usual self breaking up play and covering his CBs and was definitely the stronger of our two CMs, as evidenced by losing the midfield when he came off.

Bong seems to have shaken off his slow buildup to form, it was as if he'd never been injured last night.

It was Kayals pass to knockaert that made the first goal, Knockaerts pass although vital was not the telling contribution as it were... not for me anyway.
Absolute basics of wing play the 2 contributions he made to the goals, where as March was much more effective as a genuine winger last night, better delivery and went past his man with ease.

Stephens also gave away too many silly free kicks in dangerous areas last night especially first half.
The game was over when Dale went off, the last 20 mins were like a training session for us, its hard to come on and play in that.

we are generally always outnumbered in midifeld its worth mentioning, so the job Stephens and Kayal plus other have done this season is excellent i realise, just thought Stephens was down on his normal levels

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some EXTREMELY generous marks for Uwe on this thread. Love the big fella to bits, but he was APPALLING in the first half, and very lucky that none of his THREE gifts of possession at the back led to goals.

Great in the second half though :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was Kayals pass to knockaert that made the first goal, Knockaerts pass although vital was not the telling contribution as it were... not for me anyway.
Absolute basics of wing play the 2 contributions he made to the goals, where as March was much more effective as a genuine winger last night, better delivery and went past his man with ease.

Stephens also gave away too many silly free kicks in dangerous areas last night especially first half.
The game was over when Dale went off, the last 20 mins were like a training session for us, its hard to come on and play in that.

we are generally always outnumbered in midifeld its worth mentioning, so the job Stephens and Kayal plus other have done this season is excellent i realise, just thought Stephens was down on his normal levels

Agree with you about Kayal's pass, which was almost as good as Stockdale's to Knockaert for our second goal. You also make a fair point about March's crosses and his gliding past opponents, although none of his set-ups produced anything substantial. The rest I'm probably with [MENTION=33924]Nixonator[/MENTION].

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stockdale 7 just one mistake missing a cross
Bong 7 Good game helped by no out and out winger to mark
Hunemeir 6 Very good 2nd half but numerous mistakes in 1st half could have cost
Dunk 7 Good until went off
Bong 6 Good 2nd half but passing in 1st half was terrible
Stevens 7 Good game
Kayal 6 Average. Played very deep which was prob under manager instructions.
March 6 Good 1st half faded 2nd. Out of game for long periods. No fan but can see why manager prefers Skalak away.
Hemed 5 After sub appearances deserved to start. However apart from goal contributed nothing. Pity would like him to do well. Unlike Murray doesnt make himself available or win any headers from long balls.
Murray 8 Good game. Worked hard Hold up play good as well as first touch.
Knockhaert 5 I know he produced couple of good crosses but expect more from him. Dont know if tired or has been sussed out but seem to have lost spark and no longer able to go passed players. Must say forgive him anything for what he has produced up to 4/5 games ago ut hope he can go up a notch for last 6 games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would it be remiss of me to suggest that you've changed your tune?
Not sure it's tune changing, just trying to be realistic based on Huddersfield's injuries and their last 2 results. I'm still not celebrating, because while that's my current guess (and may be pessimistic still), that doesn't mean Huddersfield won't go on a winning run while we have a bad patch.

If your latest prediction is right, we only need one more win. I'll take that :wink:
Likewise.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure it's tune changing, just trying to be realistic based on Huddersfield's injuries and their last 2 results. I'm still not celebrating, because while that's my current guess (and may be pessimistic still), that doesn't mean Huddersfield won't go on a winning run while we have a bad patch.

Likewise.

I was just of the view that people were expecting too high a points total for most teams in the top six and especially the third-placed, which would have been against historical precedent. At one point, I began to waver from this (i.e. tune-changed :smile:) but currently I'd be surprised if our third-placed total from last year (itself an historical anomaly) is surpassed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was just of the view that people were expecting too high a points total for most teams in the top six and especially the third-placed, which would have been against historical precedent.
It would have meant more points than in the past, yes, but then the teams at the top at the time [of those predictions] were also higher than at any point in the past, so not outlandish predictions.

At one point, I began to waver from this (i.e. tune-changed :smile:) but currently I'd be surprised if our third-placed total from last year (itself an historical anomaly) is surpassed.
You didn't expect Huddersfield to lose their last two games though did you. Now that they've lost them, and picked up injuries, it looks unlikely they'll beat 89.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt think we played that well but the result was the most important thing to achieve.

Stockdale. 7. Did what we now expect of him
Bruno. 7. Showed his class and link up with AK well.
Hunemier 8. Dodgy start but took command when Dunk went off.
Dunk. 6. Very short time on the pitch so difficult to grade
Bong. 8. Showed why he is 1st choice left back for CH
Knockhaert. 7. Some good moments but silly booking.
Stephens. 7. Controlled our midfield as usual
Kayal. 6.5 Not yet back to the form of last season but getting nearer
March. 6.5 Did ok but not as good as when he comes on late to change a game.
Hemed. 6. Gets in Murrays way and doesnt win enough in the air but did win 1 important one.
Murray. 7.5. The difference between auto and play offs.
Subs

Tomori. 7.5. Slotted in well to replace Dunk
Norwood. 6. Doesnt win the ball enough and so we dropped off when he replaced Stephens
Murphy. 6. Not much impact but did his job.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Some EXTREMELY generous marks for Uwe on this thread. Love the big fella to bits, but he was APPALLING in the first half, and very lucky that none of his THREE gifts of possession at the back led to goals.

Great in the second half though :thumbsup:

Kind of have to agree, he really didn't start very well at all and rarely won the aerial battle with Donaldson. Second half he was great though! Thought Tomori was every bit as good in the time he was on the pitch, just without the mistakes that Uwe made in the first half.

I had no idea who was going to be given MOM last night. Nobody really shone for me, it wasn't a fantastic performance by any means but we did what we had to do.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It would have meant more points than in the past, yes, but then the teams at the top at the time [of those predictions] were also higher than at any point in the past, so not outlandish predictions.

You didn't expect Huddersfield to lose their last two games though did you. Now that they've lost them, and picked up injuries, it looks unlikely they'll beat 89.

I didn't expect Huddersfield to win all eight games in April, probably five, but might have to lower that now. Even if that get those five now, I suspect it won't be enough for them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't expect Huddersfield to win all eight games in April, probably five, but might have to lower that now. Even if that get those five now, I suspect it won't be enough for them.
If they get 5 wins in April (with another loss and a draw), they can get 90 points with their last game. Maybe not enough for promotion, but beats our total from last year. But 2 losses against weak opposition, and injuries, makes it all a bit unlikely.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I didnt think we played that well but the result was the most important thing to achieve.

Stockdale. 7. Did what we now expect of him
Bruno. 7. Showed his class and link up with AK well.
Hunemier 8. Dodgy start but took command when Dunk went off.
Dunk. 6. Very short time on the pitch so difficult to grade
Bong. 8. Showed why he is 1st choice left back for CH
Knockhaert. 7. Some good moments but silly booking.
Stephens. 7. Controlled our midfield as usual
Kayal. 6.5 Not yet back to the form of last season but getting nearer
March. 6.5 Did ok but not as good as when he comes on late to change a game.
Hemed. 6. Gets in Murrays way and doesnt win enough in the air but did win 1 important one.
Murray. 7.5. The difference between auto and play offs.
Subs

Tomori. 7.5. Slotted in well to replace Dunk
Norwood. 6. Doesnt win the ball enough and so we dropped off when he replaced Stephens
Murphy. 6. Not much impact but did his job.

No suprises you made Bong highest rated.... although he had a good game.

You never fail to dissapoint BG, and i love you for it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Stockdale 7. Good game. Looked like a deflection on the goal.
Bruno 8. Great cross for the first goal and a welcome return. However he did waste three opportunities in the first half with overhit passes.
Dunk 8. Playing very well until he went off.
Hunemeir 9. Superb ... and a great goal. MoM.
Bong 8. Played very well for first game back from injury.
Stephens 7. Some very good stuff, but also some of his suicide stuff that creeps into every game. Misplaced passes and losing the ball in dangerous situations. He needs to cut out that weakness in his game.
Kayal 7. Good solid game.
Knockaert 7. Not his best, but some nice stuff along with a tendency to hang onto the ball too long.
March 7. Brilliant at times, but probably didn't get enough of the ball.
Hemed 6. Well taken goal. Prefer Baldock in that role.
Murray 8. Worked so incredibly hard all game. great goal.

Subs:
Tomori 8. Superb display. The guy is everything Akpom isn't.
Norwood 6. OK.
Murphy 6. OK

Ah, nothing like bias. Hehe.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Stockdale 7 just one mistake missing a cross
Bong 7 Good game helped by no out and out winger to mark
Hunemeir 6 Very good 2nd half but numerous mistakes in 1st half could have cost
Dunk 7 Good until went off
Bong 6 Good 2nd half but passing in 1st half was terrible
Stevens 7 Good game
Kayal 6 Average. Played very deep which was prob under manager instructions.
March 6 Good 1st half faded 2nd. Out of game for long periods. No fan but can see why manager prefers Skalak away.
Hemed 5 After sub appearances deserved to start. However apart from goal contributed nothing. Pity would like him to do well. Unlike Murray doesnt make himself available or win any headers from long balls.
Murray 8 Good game. Worked hard Hold up play good as well as first touch.
Knockhaert 5 I know he produced couple of good crosses but expect more from him. Dont know if tired or has been sussed out but seem to have lost spark and no longer able to go passed players. Must say forgive him anything for what he has produced up to 4/5 games ago ut hope he can go up a notch for last 6 games.

Think this marking is pretty realistic. I thought both Bong and Bruno looked pretty rusty (understandably?) and Bruno made some very uncharacteristic passes which were well over hit.

5 for AK is a bit harsh though. He did some good link up play and helped open up the Brum defence several times.

He seems to be receiving the ball much deeper than earlier in the season, often going backwards, and is being closed down very quickly, presumably because other sides have got the message about his abilities.

Despite this he's still scoring and getting plenty of assists. He's just not producing as many of those thrilling runs as before.

Particularly impressed with Murray. Despite his age, he runs everywhere, is invariably the target for headers, which he usually wins, and scores plenty.

He may not be as prolific as earlier in the season but he's made all the difference this year between automatic promotion and the play offs.....

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

I think you will find that it was the Referee that gave away the silly free kicks, not Stevens or any other player

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockers 7
Bruno 7
Bong 6.5
Dunk 7
Uwe 8
Knockers 7
Kayal 6
Stephens 7
March 6.5
Murray 7
Hemed 5.5

Tomori 7
Norwood 5.5
Murphy 6

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think you will find that it was the Referee that gave away the silly free kicks, not Stevens or any other player

He was niggly no doubt but we still gave too many silly ones away, escpecially Stephens last night.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here