Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

May Has 10 days.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Maybe because 100 billion deficit wasn't the best starting point.

No it wasn't which begs the question, why did Osbourne promise to eradicate the deficit by 2015 citing austerity as the answer? ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What point are you trying to make there?

I was responding to [MENTION=6436]Poyningsgull[/MENTION] post 'Get a life chaps. It a lovely day' which seems to be saying that the debate should be suspended or somehow ceases to have any importance for now because it's a rare sunny weekend here in the UK. Which just seems to me to be more than a bit of a crap thing to say.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
She'd have been gone AGES ago if Tories had anything close to a decent option. Shame Ken Clarke's no longer in the conversation.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Leadership comes to the fore when times are tough not when they are easy or you are in opposition. She now finds herself in the same low position as Corbyn before the election, from which the only way is up. Still wondering where all her ministers were before Friday and why does this country not have a disaster response unit?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I was responding to [MENTION=6436]Poyningsgull[/MENTION] post 'Get a life chaps. It a lovely day' which seems to be saying that the debate should be suspended or somehow ceases to have any importance for now because it's a rare sunny weekend here in the UK. Which just seems to me to be more than a bit of a crap thing to say.

No more crappy than trying to blame Theresa May. The whole debacle is is the result of usual cost cutting in these cheapskate times and cheapskate country we live in. If you think handing over to Jeremy Corbyn will stop these terrible events, then you are sadly mistaken.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No more crappy than trying to blame Theresa May. The whole debacle is is the result of usual cost cutting in these cheapskate times and cheapskate country we live in. If you think handing over to Jeremy Corbyn will stop these terrible events, then you are sadly mistaken.

It's not like May was skulking around with a box of moltov cocktails but the wider political context is important and should be discussed and scrutinised as should the PMs response, which was pretty abysmal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My initial post (which you commented on) was about the level of deficit inherited by the Tories from Labour. This is proved by the charts. So, if the deficit had not been reduced, then level of debt we have now would be much higher (even you can't disagree with basic mathematics). So far you have not managed to say one thing which shows that the level of deficit inherited was very high. You have resorted to changing the goalposts and selecting debt as the matrix now and not annual deficit.

So yes, I do understand what cherry picking is and you are demonstrating the art form exceedingly well.

Please will you confirm that an annual deficit of 11% is not sustainable for an economy (this is what the Tories inherited from Labour).

Because I don't think it was especially high. You need to see figures in context and debt only increased 20% over the full 13 years of Labours tenure. Given the need to pour money into the neglected coffers of the NHS, schools, economy, infrastructure and then bail out the the banks and shore up the economy in 97 when the global financial crisis hit I think this is highly commendable....especially when you view what happened when the Torys took over.

And giving clarity to a previously short response isn't moving goal posts.

And at the end of the day you simply can't argue against the fact that 7 years of Tory austerity has resulted in doubling the government's debt.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There'll be another election within a few months, I'm sure.

A coalition/confidence and supply deal between May and the DUP will be neither strong nor stable, May can't count on enough support from anywhere to run a minority government with any hope of passing anything and Corbyn doesn't have anywhere near enough seats to do so, even if he made any coalition agreements.

The only question in my mind is how soon we end up back at the polls.

Those were my thoughts too, straight after the election, but 10 days on I'm not so sure. The Tories are in a right mess , all of their own making, but know that an October poll would bring certain defeat, probably on a 1997 level.

A leadership election is guaranteed, with May being hung about to dry over the summer and take all the current stick, again rightly so. Th problem they have is twofold:

One, there is a lack of decent choices, all of the so call favourites are going to be tarred with the same brush of the last useless campaign, they need someone young, to the left of the party.but who?

Their other problem is Brexit, (which would be equally a problem for Labour) the Tories are as as divided as the UK over Brexit

They failed miserably to talk about the economy, low unemployment, and ran a very negative campaign, and they failed to realise that the country has had enough of austerity.

Having said that McDonnell and Corbyn would, without doubt, bankrupt the Country within
a five year term, and we'd be like Greece, cap in hand to the EU.....oh wait.

What a dreadful choice we currently have.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
She can if she wants to. While some of the rhetoric has been OTT, she should have turned up on Thurs and said "that group of people of there in the blue jackets are your council housing, go and explain your situation, and they are there to help We may not be able to house you within the borough straight away, but will as soon as we can, if that's what you want. Those people in the red jackets are psychologists here to help you through what you have seen and heard. They are here to help you, please use them - and that goes for the emergency services too".

If she had done something like that, it would have been "leadership". She needs to remember that she works for us. The 600 or so sitting MPs are getting a billion pound refurb of the Commons, the 600 or so people from these flats need just a fraction of that - and that's where they LIVE..

Trouble is, unfortunately these people of generally poor, so nobody will listen to them.

It's remarkable how badly her advisors / she have dealt with this.

When you consider how Tony Blair persuaded the Queen to respond to the people's feelings when Princess Diana was killed. She has been amazingly compassionate towards victims of the recent disasters and has done everything the PM should have.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Those were my thoughts too, straight after the election, but 10 days on I'm not so sure. The Tories are in a right mess , all of their own making, but know that an October poll would bring certain defeat, probably on a 1997 level.

A leadership election is guaranteed, with May being hung about to dry over the summer and take all the current stick, again rightly so. Th problem they have is twofold:

One, there is a lack of decent choices, all of the so call favourites are going to be tarred with the same brush of the last useless campaign, they need someone young, to the left of the party.but who?

Their other problem is Brexit, (which would be equally a problem for Labour) the Tories are as as divided as the UK over Brexit

They failed miserably to talk about the economy, low unemployment, and ran a very negative campaign, and they failed to realise that the country has had enough of austerity.

Having said that McDonnell and Corbyn would, without doubt, bankrupt the Country within
a five year term, and we'd be like Greece, cap in hand to the EU.....oh wait.

What a dreadful choice we currently have.

Indeed. Caught between a rock and a hard place. The GE result has given us the worst of all worlds. In a perfect storm of political instability, high debt/deficit, Brexit uncertainty, ongoing terrorist threat, and an increasingly unstable world/security situation

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed. Caught between a rock and a hard place. The GE result has given us the worst of all worlds. In a perfect storm of political instability, high debt/deficit, Brexit uncertainty, ongoing terrorist threat, and an increasingly unstable world/security situation

Bad GE result? No way, Jezza and his mates were high-fiving (when he didn't miss) their wonderful victory, who cares the effect on the country of offering free Uni?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bad GE result? No way, Jezza and his mates were high-fiving (when he didn't miss) their wonderful victory, who cares the effect on the country of offering free Uni?

'The effect on the country'? Really? After 7 years of austerity, after the Tories have overseen the rise in food banks, a huge rise in child poverty, the longest fall in value of wages since records began, the most unaffordable homes ever, the systematic abuse of disabled people... and that is the card you are going to play? ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The whole debacle is is the result of usual cost cutting in these cheapskate times and cheapskate country we live in.

Totally agree with you. Hopefully the beginning of the end of austerity measures that, as usual with the Tories, recognise the cost of everything and the value of nothing. People seem to be suddenly becoming alive en masse to the very real human cost of perpetual cost-cutting for no real reason other than to 'reduce the deficit' and give multi-nationals and non-Doms an easy ride on their taxes. People have just had enough of that BS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect that the majority, including many in the Conservatives, do consider that she is cold and has no empathy
I disagree.
As for voting for a leader, no one voted for her apart from the people of Maidenhead. You vote for your own MP
As I'm sure you're aware, I understand the voting process. I didn't vote for my local Labour MP as I didn't want to vote towards Corbyn being PM. So at which general elections have you voted Tory (I can work out who was leading the party each time)?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ok, last time as it's tiring. Maybe it's too much for you? :lol:

At no point did BG say about Sinn Fein supporting the Tories.

Near the beginning of the thread BG said JC would try for a coalition with Sinn Fein. The fact that that's impossible since they don't even take up their seats in Westminster seems to have passed BG by. BG then goes on to talk about sanity and Tory voters, clearly including himself. Not very sane when he doesn't even understand the basics.

Go back and re read the thread if you're still confused. I'm off to listen to some Count Arthur Strong as it's more entertaining than this effort from you and BG.

What you seem to conveniently miss is the fact that there is nothing whatsoever other than principals stopping the Sein Fein members taking their seats at Westminster and then siding with Corbyn. We all know the pricipals of most MPs especially those lead by a 'reformed terrorist'.

larus

Because I don't think it was especially high. You need to see figures in context and debt only increased 20% over the full 13 years of Labours tenure. Given the need to pour money into the neglected coffers of the NHS, schools, economy, infrastructure and then bail out the the banks and shore up the economy in 97 when the global financial crisis hit I think this is highly commendable....especially when you view what happened when the Torys took over.

And giving clarity to a previously short response isn't moving goal posts.

And at the end of the day you simply can't argue against the fact that 7 years of Tory austerity has resulted in doubling the government's debt.

Haha, 11% annual deficit is not high. OMG, you've plumbed new depths here.

On one hand you are chastising the Tories for the doubling of the National Debt, but if they inherited a debt vs GDP ratio of 60% and had continued to spend (waste) at the same level (say 10% GDP) as 'Prudent' Brown over say 5 years, then the debt ratio would be in excess if 100%. I would hazard a guess that economics and maths aren't exactly strong points for you.

And as for only 13% over 13 years of Labour, what about the PFI debts not included? They are debts and liabilities.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
She can if she wants to. While some of the rhetoric has been OTT, she should have turned up on Thurs and said "that group of people of there in the blue jackets are your council housing, go and explain your situation, and they are there to help We may not be able to house you within the borough straight away, but will as soon as we can, if that's what you want. Those people in the red jackets are psychologists here to help you through what you have seen and heard. They are here to help you, please use them - and that goes for the emergency services too".

If she had done something like that, it would have been "leadership". She needs to remember that she works for us. The 600 or so sitting MPs are getting a billion pound refurb of the Commons, the 600 or so people from these flats need just a fraction of that - and that's where they LIVE..

Trouble is, unfortunately these people of generally poor, so nobody will listen to them.

Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What you seem to conveniently miss is the fact that there is nothing whatsoever other than principals stopping the Sein Fein members taking their seats at Westminster and then siding with Corbyn. We all know the pricipals of most MPs especially those lead by a 'reformed terrorist'.

So it's only their principles that they have stuck with for the last 35 years, and you don't trust politicians who don't stick to their principles.

I'm not supporting any political group here but can you see that you are just posting complete nonsense :facepalm: It's really time to stop digging or start thinking. It might be easier to go for the former

demotivation.us_IF-YOU-FIND-YOURSELF-IN-A-HOLE-the-first-thing-to-do-is-stop-diggin_137392900719.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So it's only their principles that they have stuck with for the last 35 years, and you don't trust politicians who don't stick to their principles.

I'm not supporting any political group here but can you see that you are just posting complete nonsense :facepalm: It's really time to stop digging or start thinking. It might be easier to go for the former

View attachment 86431

Surely if they are so opposed to the affects that the DUP agreeing to a pact with the Tories and are determined to help Corbyn bring about their downfall, as their leader says, it is time to perhaps reconsider their principals and act in accordance with todays demands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here