Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] HDMI splitter

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That is what I should have bought instead of a splitter:dunce:

If you buy it from Amazon then don't forget to use the link above....:thumbsup:

1PkTP9.gif

I have 1 hdmi socket on my tv and to save keep changing from my Roku stick to HDMI Cable to laptop I bought a 2 way splitter on e bay but when inserted the tv screen is blank. I normally watch freeview via HDMI 1 but when using the Roku or HDMI cable have to switch to HDMI 2. I did this and the screen showed nothing neither Roku or Laptop what am I either not doing or doing wrong please. The splitter is a basic extension cable from 1 male input to 2 female outputs. Many thanks for any advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvCwtLLV6I

I see i'm a bit late on this one:rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does this switch automatically or is it easy to do with the remote control taking into account I am not a technical geek. I have read some product information on Amazon and some show they switch automatically and some dont so I am still in a slight quandry as to which one I want and should buy,

They switch automatically normally, but if for some reason you have a couple of devices working you can use the remote to switch it. You only need to know which port number corresponds with which input device.............

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They switch automatically normally, but if for some reason you have a couple of devices working you can use the remote to switch it. You only need to know which port number corresponds with which input device.............

That seems simple enough and presumably you set the switch for that port. Rather intrigued as to how an automatic switch knows which one you wish to watch or do you choose and set it in which case an automatic one is not a lot of advantage.

Last edited:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
That seems simple enough and presumably you set the switch for that port. Rather intrigued as to how an automatic switch knows which one you wish to watch or do you choose and set it in which case an automatic one is not a lot of advantage.

The action of of turning the connected device on normally alerts the HDMI port to its presence, the switch detects the pulse and automatically selects the right port. You may find that you still need the remote to be able to select the Roko, as they only go into standby when not in use so you don't get a 'switch on' pulse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thank you to everybody who has contributed. I shall order a switch probably from Amazon but the only downside with Amazon is that you do not get the postage charge etc until right near the end of the transaction as opposed to E bay which states it from the outset.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thank you to everybody who has contributed. I shall order a switch probably from Amazon but the only downside with Amazon is that you do not get the postage charge etc until right near the end of the transaction as opposed to E bay which states it from the outset.

The other downside with Amazon is the very little tax in the UK and trade off this competitive advantage at the expense of those who do pay. Allegedly. But dont worry about it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I'll try to organise a whip round from your loyal followers :moo:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just bought a replacement :)

These are notoriously buggy things.

So I have at me desk

1) Normal PC with HDMI output
2) Let's call it a freebox box with HDMI output. That converts PC monitor into TV
3) I dock a laptop in there as well. So I can use that with the monitor.

So I've got a arrangement with USB switches and (as above) an HDMI switch.

My current switch is a nightmare as I think it has no independent power in.

I've come to the conclusion that it refuses to power itself alone from the "Freeview" box. It will only switch when the PC is outputting a signal.

SO

New one arrived today and works fine (*). It has an independent power supply. Only annoying thing it didn't come with one and take an "old fashioned" round 5 volt input. Luckily I have boxes of leads and found an obscure USB to male 5v lead. Plug that into a USB three pin plug job done.

(*) Turn the PC on it automatically switched to that :)

.. but it works.

3 inputs, one output with it's own tiny remote control and manual button to flick sources.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for the offer but wont need it but would still like to know what I am going to be charged as I do with cowboy builders, thats not you obviously.

And I've got the old one if I can get it off the wall (*). .

It's 2 weeks old and tiny. Has a small switch to switch the source, no remote.

PM me you are welcome to it. I'll post it for free. If it doesn't work bin it.

(*) Strong double sided.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've contacted BG - but I've just stupidly realised (because I do the same) you can screen mirror to Roku depending on the windows version.

Potentially no need for stick or HDMI lead and Roku never gets unplugged.

:ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for your pm clapham_gull but I inadvertently deleted your 2nd pm telling me how to do it. I have sent a pm to Bozza to see if it can be restored or perhaps you could resend it to me thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here