Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The two Tory candidates for next MP

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Gove sounds the best bet to me.Boris for Chancellor-the Treasury and BoE need sorting and he has a good history for sacking incompetent time-servers.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It will be from a pool of 3: Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Theresa May.

the Tory party are an odd lot.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is none of these 3 in the end.
Bojo and Gove have the blood of Cameron on their hands, which hasn't played out well in leadership battles, previously.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Be interesting to see how many people who voted out based mainly on immigration will want Johnson as the next PM without realising he is pro immigration.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's believed 50% of Tory MPs are 'remain', 40% 'leave' and 10% fence-sitters.

A new Tory leader would almost certainly have to call an early general election as, not unlike Labour, the new leader (assuming it's a 'Leave' person, and that that will still be seen as a divisive issue) won't have the full support of their party's MPs.

What a mess.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Really? Didn't think they had worked at the EU since 2004?

You're right, he hasn't. He was Chairman of the British Council from 2004-2009. He now sits in the House of Lords.

The only way he'd be out of a job is if the members of the unelected House of Lords suddenly became subject to elections.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's believed 50% of Tory MPs are 'remain', 40% 'leave' and 10% fence-sitters.

A new Tory leader would almost certainly have to call an early general election as, not unlike Labour, the new leader (assuming it's a 'Leave' person, and that that will still be seen as a divisive issue) won't have the full support of their party's MPs.

What a mess.

the problem with that scenario is we would have a pro remain labour party fighting an election on a "btw we will take you out" ticket. Trust me that aint going to happen. He'll be the third unelected pm in less than 30 years. Deal with it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Be interesting to see how many people who voted out based mainly on immigration will want Johnson as the next PM without realising he is pro immigration.

The issue isn't immigration its how much immigration, i bet you ticked the remain box?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
the problem with that scenario is we would have a pro remain labour party fighting an election on a "btw we will take you out" ticket. Trust me that aint going to happen. He'll be the third unelected pm in less than 30 years. Deal with it.
Um... what?

A pro-remain Labour campaigning on a pro-leave ticket. Okeydoke.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Please let the new leader be Boris. He'll reduce them to an unelectable shambles in no time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
the Tory party are an odd lot.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is none of these 3 in the end.

They've a long history of ignoring the favourite and going for an outsider. Heseltine lost to Major in 1990, Kenneth Clarke failed in 1997 against Hague, Portillo and Clarke again lost to the odious IDS in 2001 and David Davis lost to Cameron in 2005. And going further back, Thatcher's win was a surprise against Heath. I think you're spot on about Gove and Johnson having blood on their hands. I reckon Theresa May but as a real long shot I'll say Priti Patel.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Um... what?

A pro-remain Labour campaigning on a pro-leave ticket. Okeydoke.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Put it another way. You think the tories are suddenly give up power before this is all sorted out allowinglabour to run a phantom referendum campaign in the election or to say they would take us out?

Or an election after brexit where there would be greater stability but then to rock the boat with an election?

Its a no brainer, its not going to happen for sound political and economic reasons.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
They've a long history of ignoring the favourite and going for an outsider. Heseltine lost to Major in 1990, Kenneth Clarke failed in 1997 against Hague, Portillo and Clarke again lost to the odious IDS in 2001 and David Davis lost to Cameron in 2005. And going further back, Thatcher's win was a surprise against Heath. I think you're spot on about Gove and Johnson having blood on their hands. I reckon Theresa May but as a real long shot I'll say Priti Patel.

Absolutely no way it'll be Patel. No chance.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Put it another way. You think the tories are suddenly give up power before this is all sorted out allowinglabour to run a phantom referendum campaign in the election or to say they would take us out?

Or an election after brexit where there would be greater stability but then to rock the boat with an election?

Its a no brainer, its not going to happen for sound political and economic reasons.
As things stand, a pro-leave PM wouldn't have the numbers to get Article 50 through Parliament, assuming he/she went through the democratic route, unless the MPs vote in the Commons against their conscience saying 'it's the will of the people'.

I have no idea what you're on about with Labour's 'phantom referendum campaign'. We've just had the referendum - so what referendum would they be campaigning for this time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here