Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More sense from Mr Naylor

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
This Naylor appreciation is unnerving me somewhat; I've got used to resenting his affiliation to the Albion ("and now the one you've all been waiting for...".

That said, of late 'he's' started to pen a couple of articles which make sense. Can't help think he's got a 'ghostwriter' involved. Excuse my cynicism, he's written too much guff in years previous; can't help it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The flaws in his "system" were plain for all to see when we lost at Brentford, all except Hyypia and Jones that is who've done nothing to address them.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
No wonder he is not liked around the Amex.Talks far to much sense..Funny how people like Hart, Samarah and Naylor all can see the bleeding obvious, yet the club keep ploughing down this dead end street.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
No wonder he is not liked around the Amex.Talks far to much sense..Funny how people like Hart, Samarah and Naylor all can see the bleeding obvious, yet the club keep ploughing down this dead end street.

I think that Naylor must have started reading Hartys musings in the Herald and thinking..."I know, I'll just re-write what this guys saying"

Those two seem to have converged more than ever this season.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This Naylor appreciation is unnerving me somewhat; I've got used to resenting his affiliation to the Albion ("and now the one you've all been waiting for...".

That said, of late 'he's' started to pen a couple of articles which make sense. Can't help think he's got a 'ghostwriter' involved. Excuse my cynicism, he's written too much guff in years previous; can't help it.

Absolutely. Maybe he died in a motorbike crash and they have decided to keep him going. Bob Dylan died in the 60's and the reinvention went electric. Naylors reinvention has a little more spark than before.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
im plooked if i know what the answer is....somethings definitely missing....the players need to want to play for the manager , to literally cop it in the face , nutts , whatever....clearly there is a bit of a gap between management and players that needs to be bridged asap..!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Where's the driving force in midfield? Where's the man who has the creativity? Where's the man up top who will score goals?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oscar done what any half decent manager/head coach should do, he played to the strengths of the squad he had.

No he didn't..4/5 games from the end of season we were in mid table and he had continued to not start with our most disruptive player KLL. Belatedly he started him and we went WWDD and scraped into the playoffs. Snr stupidio then dropped him we went 1 down brought KLL and drew, dropped him again and we lost. His legacy looks reasonable but it is misleading, he got very lucky.
Note how SH has eventually started picking KLL from the start.
Note we beat Palace 3-0 with KLL starting and then Poyet said he was going to change from the away leg of the play offs then didn't as he was deliberately late/childish
All of these Managers have not had the experience to know a talent when they see one or how to set the team up. Poyet had the money, the others don't but all lack the decade+ of knowledge we need at this level

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
The flaws in his "system" were plain for all to see when we lost at Brentford, all except Hyypia and Jones that is who've done nothing to address them.

Exactly, Brentford setup to exploit the space behind the full backs with forwards peeling wide or pacey players directly carrying the ball from deep positions into vast gaps. This tactic has been repeated in most games (most impressively by Boro) and all Sami has done is rotate the midfielders who you presume should be learning to protect the space his system vacates. While we leave these gaping holes we are also totally toothless up front and have a static midfield. The combination of tactics and personnel just do not fit. It's absurd that it's been allowed to continue this long.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No he didn't..4/5 games from the end of season we were in mid table and he had continued to not start with our most disruptive player KLL. Belatedly he started him and we went WWDD and scraped into the playoffs. Snr stupidio then dropped him we went 1 down brought KLL and drew, dropped him again and we lost. His legacy looks reasonable but it is misleading, he got very lucky.
Note we beat Palace 3-0 with KLL starting and then Poyet said he was going to change from the away leg of the play offs then didn't as he was deliberately late/childish
All of these Managers have not had the experience to know a talent when they see one or how to set the team up. Poyet had the money, the others don't but all lack the decade+ of knowledge we need at this level

It was also stated many times through the season that KLL was having to be used carefully because of on going knee trouble.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would be interesting if Sami decided to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation that is in vogue with some PL teams. Usual back 4 with Holla and Ince holding, Teixeira centre of the 3, with Lualua and Gardener the other two, with licence to drift wide. Any of the misfiring forwards up top. The other need would be for a solid back 4, with only one of the full backs moving forward rather than both. We would be more solid to ensure that we are not always chasing games.

As other have said the current system would work with better players, which are probably out of our price range.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Although usually a glass half full kind of fan, more than willing to give players and managers time rather than slating and writing them off in the first half dozen games, I just can't see how Hyppia can hold on much longer. IMO he has to return 5 pts from the next 3 league games to be able to justify holding on beyond the international break.

A point away at Bournemouth would be a great result in the firm they're in, and with Wigan struggling we simply have to turn them over. Blackburn are flirting with the playoffs so even at home I'd accept a point there.

The problem for me is there don't seem to be any green shoots. If we were playing well but individual mistakes were costing us, or we were losing to worldy 30 yarders or getting unlucky with deflected cross-shots, I'd be able to defend the system. The problem is we don't cross, we don't get to the byline for a cutback and we don't play through balls for Baldock/CMS/Colunga to latch onto. We pass the ball sideways 35 yards from goal, get it wide to a wing back and he checks back inside. Rinse and repeat. Then after a while, Gardner gets a bit of space and shoots over from 30 yards. I cannot for the life of me understand the plan. And worse than that, Hyypia stands cross-armed in the technical area for 75 minutes, then brings on Paddy for a defensive midfielder. Now we've got nobody to protect our centre halves on the counter, and our creative player is picking it up from Greer/Dunk 70 yards deeper than we want him to be, to try and cause some damage.

The concerning thing for me against Rotherham was that nobody wanted the ball. Stockdale would have it, want to give it to someone, and our 10 outfield players were walking away from him, shoulders slumped, heads down. They're trying to hide, and when you're low on form you have to redouble your effort, there's no room for passengers. If Hyypia, a Champions League winner, can't motivate players sufficiently, and refuses to change a system that CLEARLY isn't working, then regardless of my tendency to give the benefit of the doubt, it has to be time to pull the trigger.

A new man would need half a dozen games to get to know the squad and implement his system before the transfer window, by which point he can go out and bring in what he thinks we need. If we were to sleepwalk into December as we have through September & October, I'd begin to fear relegation.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The big question is whether Sami is capable of improvement and change. Some people aren't. So many think they can make it as a manager but they are simply not suited to it. Football history is riddled with big name players who have failed in the managerial game.
Just because he was an outstanding centre-half at the highest level doesn't guarantee a successful managerial career. World Cup winners like Moore and Charlton were truly inspirational on the field. They led by example. They didn't have the right attributes off it.
From what I've seen of him so far ( and I desperately want him to succeed ) he hasn't got the right attributes. He clearly lacks experience and is naive in the extreme. He doesn't appear to be able to rally the troops, to motivate and to man-manage. It is a tough learning curve and BHA can't afford to wait for him to gain experience at their expense.
Three games to the November break. Three games to save his job.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yet again, unless you are prepared to call Bloom & Barber liars, we have been told the playing budget is the same each season.
British Bulldog has it right regarding LuaLua.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Same players though. I know Sami is making basic tactical errors but we have no wingers or strikers that would work together. That's not his fault.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Pretty sure that when Buckley went (and before) he was asked if he wanted a replacement or another winger.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It won't go down well at the club, who are extremely sensitive to criticism these days, but Naylor is spot on with that article.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Where's the driving force in midfield? Where's the man who has the creativity? Where's the man up top who will score goals?

They're playing for Derby, Forest and Wolves.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Although usually a glass half full kind of fan, more than willing to give players and managers time rather than slating and writing them off in the first half dozen games, I just can't see how Hyppia can hold on much longer. IMO he has to return 5 pts from the next 3 league games to be able to justify holding on beyond the international break.

A point away at Bournemouth would be a great result in the firm they're in, and with Wigan struggling we simply have to turn them over. Blackburn are flirting with the playoffs so even at home I'd accept a point there.

The problem for me is there don't seem to be any green shoots. If we were playing well but individual mistakes were costing us, or we were losing to worldy 30 yarders or getting unlucky with deflected cross-shots, I'd be able to defend the system. The problem is we don't cross, we don't get to the byline for a cutback and we don't play through balls for Baldock/CMS/Colunga to latch onto. We pass the ball sideways 35 yards from goal, get it wide to a wing back and he checks back inside. Rinse and repeat. Then after a while, Gardner gets a bit of space and shoots over from 30 yards. I cannot for the life of me understand the plan. And worse than that, Hyypia stands cross-armed in the technical area for 75 minutes, then brings on Paddy for a defensive midfielder. Now we've got nobody to protect our centre halves on the counter, and our creative player is picking it up from Greer/Dunk 70 yards deeper than we want him to be, to try and cause some damage.

The concerning thing for me against Rotherham was that nobody wanted the ball. Stockdale would have it, want to give it to someone, and our 10 outfield players were walking away from him, shoulders slumped, heads down. They're trying to hide, and when you're low on form you have to redouble your effort, there's no room for passengers. If Hyypia, a Champions League winner, can't motivate players sufficiently, and refuses to change a system that CLEARLY isn't working, then regardless of my tendency to give the benefit of the doubt, it has to be time to pull the trigger.

A new man would need half a dozen games to get to know the squad and implement his system before the transfer window, by which point he can go out and bring in what he thinks we need. If we were to sleepwalk into December as we have through September & October, I'd begin to fear relegation.

Spot on post, best Ive read in ages. Decisive action is needed. A 1/4 of the season has gone and we are in real trouble.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's a very good article from Naylor, and an interesting selection of Hyypia quotes that implies the manager thinks the players aren't taking instruction and/or are not good enough right now.

The 4 options open to Hyypia have been explained and I fancy Bloom might be questioning the wisdom of the recruitment structure, and so might be inclined to give Hyypia the benefit of the doubt for now.

However, you have to ask yourself why was Toko bought, why is Agustein still here, why has Sami not rested Greer and given Hughes some game-time and what has happened to the Teixera of August?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here