Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If our nickname wasn't "The Seagulls" what nickname would you choose for us and why?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Saxons

Sūþsēaxe Where the first Saxons landed so where England was born!

We could wear horned helmets and stuff, the Yanks would love it.

Actually Sussex means South Saxons.

Wessex is West Saxons & Essex is East Saxons - they landed in Essex first

I should know, my great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,
grandfather heard it from a mate of his, down the local tavern.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The Razors
Suggesting we cut through our opponents' defences with razor like precision. Also a slyly sinister reference to the razor gangs who use to operate at Brighton Racecourse. This might also instill an element of fear in our rival supporters.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In memory of a lost venue and a local legend:

"The Goldstones"

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The Bohemians
Brighton has long been considered to be a bohemian town or city as far back as Regency times. It also begins with the letter "B" so has onomatopoeic credentials which is always a bonus. The club's crest or badge would be along these lines...

fa8b01759569884e189c08efc2012631--long-beard-styles-long-beards.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
University of Sussex American Football team are the Saxons, so thats taken! ;o)

"The Stripes"? "The Deckchairs"?

Attachments

• 25169636653_7954583a57_b.jpg
    25169636653_7954583a57_b.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 264

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I should know, my great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great,
grandfather heard it from a mate of his, down the local tavern.

51 generations @ say an average of 22 years/generation (people had kids a lot earlier in the olden days) = 1122 years ago, meaning he was alive in 896 - the mid-late Saxon period. So, for that reason, I believe you. What was his name?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The Brighton aces

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Sex. Just that.

We are The Sex, we are The sex, we are The sex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

According to Bede, the first invaders (the army led by Hengist and Horsa) landed in Ebbsfleet on the Isle of Thanet - not Essex and not Susses.

Although (pedant alert) they weren't really invaders but were mercenaries recruited by King Vortigern. And (double pedant alert) H&H were Jutes rather than Saxons - although their army was a mixture of Angles, Jutes and Saxons.

Back to the OP's question, I rather like The Martlets

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Bohemians
Brighton has long been considered to be a bohemian town or city as far back as Regency times. It also begins with the letter "B" so has onomatopoeic credentials which is always a bonus. The club's crest or badge would be along these lines...

View attachment 101195

Louche, maybe, or even villainous - but hardly Bohemian, I'd suggest. In fact, for a long, long time it was a very conservative (with a large and small 'C') town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here