Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What did we learn from last night 28.08 2018

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Button's handling and command of the area was fine, though his kicking (when he connects) needs some work. Worried that he seemed to be a bit rattled by the Southampton fans.

Barclay played - for the most part - fairly well. Got done for the goal, but certainly put in a shift.

Collar also marshalled some busy Premier League players pretty well.

Bernado is a better centre back than full back, especially in the second half.

Suttner was reasonable enough. Didn't really learn much about him, though his outlet ball was often not available.

Gross' talents are wasted as a holding midfielder.

Kayal - again, didn't learn too much about him.

Jahanbahksh needs to learn to challenge in the air against a full-back. 11th best player in the team.

Gyokeres looked lively, and is a real prospect. Looked to be more easily shepherded in the second half, and was struggling to offer Suttner an 'out' ball as the game progressed. Delighted all the kids stayed on for 90 minutes.

Bissouma is a live wire - and very exciting to watch, though needs to know when and when not to challenge. Yellow cards could be an issue for him this season.

Locadia, when the ball was played directly to him, looked strong. Having said that, he did look a bit asleep at times when the ball came his way. At least he knows the concept of offside. His main problems seemed to be no-one was near him for a pass, and was a bit too isolated.

Hughton, for his part, was experimenting. And it's to quite a bit of credit that a team of four debutants (including three U23s) held - and at times bettered - a largely first-team Southampton side for 87 minutes, until they brought on the heavy artillery. That said, playing aerial football against a Mark Hughes side is rarely advisable.

There, that's what I felt I learned.
Agree with all the above. Much credit to a fairly makeshift team not used to playing together, using the youngsters well to get them valuable experience against decent opposition. Gyokeres I'd seen play before and he has a lot of potential; settled well and wouldn't be surprised to see him on future first team team sheets. Barclay seemed nice and vocal, and Collar (someone I'd not heard of before) impressed. Seemed strong and made some sensible decisions.

I think Bissouma is going to do really well for us, just needs to settle a bit. Agree that he could be prone to the odd yellow from time to time due to his enthusiasm. AJ didn't show an awful lot but guess he is easing his way into things, and Locadia, with the right service, could do well. Just wish he looked a little more up for it, and a bit more mobile. He's clearly not the sort of player to put a shift in throughout the match!

The Thai Green chicken curry pies were nice too. I learned that as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Locadia had no service ,whatsoever,although he is not the "wasp ",that Murray is .
Bissouma was the best player on the pitch.
Gyokers will,score goals,i am just not sure at what level yet.
Ali J needs time (I hope)
Bernardo is very quick,i like him.
Collar more dependable in defence than Schellotto....Already.
Barclay looked a fine prospect,to add to our center halfs
Button,looks very capable,and i rate him over Krul....

i thought the exact opposite as Collar was poor and looked out of his depth, perhaps he will make it one day.

Button didn t look an improvement on Krul, well not a £4m one. I would like to see Steele step up as he always played well against us.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
He's a different player to Glenn Murray. His transfer fee has little bearing on it.

Well to you UEFA accredited coaches probably but to us mere oiks with little understanding of the game both where bought to the club to score goals, sadly one of them is considerably better than the other so your right it is like comparing apples and oranges!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
irrelevant as he is back up to Glenn Murray.

As he would be the focal point to score then of course you will talk about the pair of them in the same breath.

Last night, Locadia was largely isolated - even Murray can't function that well at all without Gross, or any other support.

In short, there seems to be an element of 'Locadia didn't score, therefore he's not as good as Murray'. If you're going to compare them on one game, and on merely one solitary aspect of the game, that's way over-simplifying it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think it is very difficult to take anything meaningful from a game like that.

To really judge a player, you need to see them alongside other first choice players in a game that really matters, with a proper tempo and urgency to it.

My takeaway on Locadia, not just on last night mind, is that I'm starting to think we'd get the best out of him playing as a wide player but only in situations where we don't need to rely on his defensive contribution. I think he looks at his best picking the ball up between the lines, with space to attack and I think he has ability. My fear is we can use him for say the last 10 minutes when we gamble a little bit but over 90 minutes we need someone with Knockaert and March's defensive work ethic. Locadia is perhaps the type of player who would look a lot better if our midfield 3 were so strong that the wide players didn't have to contribute so much to the defensive side of the game.

With that in mind, I actually think Jahanbakhsh was promising. Not because he did anything to excite us but because he looks like a willing team player and I think he might have a bit more about him in terms of offensive quality than Solly. I can see Jahanbakhsh doing a good job for the team first, which I think is Hughton's first priority. To make sure everyone contributes to the shape and the discipline and then from that solid base produce moments of quality. Obviously when you spend £17m you are hoping to see that offensive quality but we have to give him some time. He didn't really get to many opportunities to show his quality last night but I thought he did the basics well.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We will be in trouble if Murray gets injured. Locadia not good enough?

Thats less than fair on Locadia.

Murray has had the luxury of Stephens, Knockeart, Solly etc providing amunition for him. Locadia wasn't afforded that luxury so you can't even compare anything between last nights match and what has gone on before

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
i thought the exact opposite as Collar was poor and looked out of his depth, perhaps he will make it one day.

Button didn t look an improvement on Krul, well not a £4m one. I would like to see Steele step up as he always played well against us.
There were 2 rumours about Button's cost - £4 million, and £300K. I tend to believe the lowest quote.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
We learnt that Locadia cannot and will not head a ball. If Murray is injured we are in trouble, I was very much in the Locadia will come good camp. But not so sure now, think the wrong striker may have gone out on loan.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

For once i agree with you, Collar was scared to bring the ball forward and is already 21.

Button was very shakey and is certaintly not a patch on Krul.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For once i agree with you, Collar was scared to bring the ball forward and is already 21.

Button was very shakey and is certaintly not a patch on Krul.

I said this on the match thread, but Collar started off looking nervous for the first 10-15 minutes, but he grew into the game and coped very well.
Button produce two or three fine saves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I said this on the match thread, but Collar started off looking nervous for the first 10-15 minutes, but he grew into the game and coped very well.
Button produce two or three fine saves.

I didnt notice him improve and was a liability at all times and it was just a matter of time before Hughes brought on Redmond to exploit our weakness.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought Locadia did alright too.

I thought the idea was that all our players/forwards had slightly different attributes....

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
We learnt that Locadia cannot and will not head a ball. If Murray is injured we are in trouble, I was very much in the Locadia will come good camp. But not so sure now, think the wrong striker may have gone out on loan.

Totally agree. My worries re Locadia are that he admits that he's not good at heading the ball so with supply from the two wingers, high balls coming over could be worthless if aimed in his direction ( Ulloa or Hemed would have been a better option ). Secondly he seems to lack pace, which would mean that playing him down the middle to chase a through ball, the opposition defence or goalkeeper have a good chance to mop up ( we saw this against Arsenal last season when Murray was played through ). One option would be to play Yve Bissouma feeding off him. Yes, it's too early to judge him but he needs to prove his doubters wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here