Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to make the Carabao Cup more exciting

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Play the first few rounds on international weekends?

In theory that would mean more youth players, plus no dull international breaks.

I am not sure how that would work with the League 1/2 teams.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The thing is although we all think its a bit of a waist of time, the bigger clubs do take it seriously as they dominate the last 10 + years winners , silverware is silverware, and lets face it we would love some of that !

2018 Manchester City
2017 Manchester United
2016 Manchester City
2015 Chelsea FC
2014 Manchester City
2013 Swansea City
2012 Liverpool FC
2011 Birmingham City
2010 Manchester United
2009 Manchester United
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2007 Chelsea FC
2006 Manchester United
2005 Chelsea FC

That's because lower league teams don't take it seriously either. Fleetwood made 11 changes last night.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Probably not as most females cant, proficiently,.if your level of proficiency is Non League Premier (Burgess Hill) or above.

I can definitely confirm that the position of left-back does exist in women's football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can definitely confirm that the position of left-back does exist in women's football.

it may exist but that is where the comparison ends. IMHO

Perhaps my attitude would vary if either of my granddaughters wanted to play football but at the moment I do not agree with Ladies Football at any level.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
it may exist but that is where the comparison ends.

Of course there is a difference in ability due to physiology, but why use a tongue in cheek thread to post such a dull point.

Now give us a decent rule. You've got plenty of time on your hands.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anyone complaining that last night was not fun, to be taken to the time machine and returned to the Gillingham years were they have to watch all 46 league games back to back with no sleep or alcohol permitted.

Then when returned to the present day, if they still say that last night was a bore-fest then they have to repeat the Gillingham years, and also have to include all our LDV, Sherpa Van, etc games.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone complaining that last night was not fun, to be taken to the time machine and returned to the Gillingham years were they have to watch all 46 league games back to back with no sleep or alcohol permitted.

Then when returned to the present day, if they still say that last night was a bore-fest then they have to repeat the Gillingham years, and also have to include all our LDV, Sherpa Van, etc games.

But I was a Gillingham season ticket holder and I still found last night boring.

Perhaps a rule is that we play all Carabao Cup games in Gillingham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the end it was a clash between two Premier League teams. Should have been quite enticing on paper. But deliberately not opening the North Stand and giving the also-rans and possible ones-for-the-future a bit of a run-out sends out a clear message that the club's just going through the motions of fulfilling its contactual obligations to the Football League. Fair play to those who paid good money to attend this travesty. Not for me I'm afraid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course there is a difference in ability due to physiology, but why use a tongue in cheek thread to post such a dull point.

Now give us a decent rule. You've got plenty of time on your hands.

I didnt suggest that each team should include 1 female.

As it happens I thought that last nights match was one of the most boring for many a year. Very little skill or endeavor showed by either team until they brought on Austin and Redmond.and what did we counter that with nothing.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
At random points during the game a klazon sounds (chance for sponsorship there straight away. 'oh, it's the John Smiths klazon')

At this stage the ends the teams are attacking immediately swap. The 'keepers make a mad dash to get to the other end and a brilliant attack turns into panicked defending.

To add to this the people controlling the klazon are in a studio in London and not actually watching the game so a 30 yard screamer could turn into a brilliant own goal mid air

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Added time multi-ball

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In the end it was a clash between two Premier League teams. Should have been quite enticing on paper. But deliberately not opening the North Stand and giving the also-rans and possible ones-for-the-future a bit of a run-out sends out a clear message that the club's just going through the motions of fulfilling its contactual obligations to the Football League. Fair play to those who paid good money to attend this travesty. Not for me I'm afraid.

Seems that Sky TV were certainly on the ball when realising what a low key non-event this match would be. I (wrongly) assumed that as it was the only all Premier League tie, and that Sky usually regard Brighton v Southampton as a "derby", that it would be a shoe-in to be televised. They rightly swerved it though, I guess in the knowledge that a half empty Amex hosting Chris's reserves would be the morgue-like waste of everyones time that it turned out to be.

Good decision. The Wimbledon v West Ham tie they showed was excellent. The ground was packed to the rafters, and the atmosphere was terrific. There was one point where the Wimbledon fans loudly chanted "your support is F****G SHIT", picked up loud and clear by the mics so clearly that the commentator was moved to apologise to people at home if they heard any bad language. Marvellous.

The League Cup can still be worthwhile when you get ties like that, pitching a minnow at home to a PL club. Maybe they should seed the draw, so that the lowest seeds ALWAYS get a home tie against the bigger ones.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Apply a Golf Style Handicap:

Div 2 Teams = 3 goal head start
Div 1 Teams = 2 goal head start
Championship = 1 goal head start
Prem = 0 goal head start

Pies:

Each player should down a bottle of Newcastle Brown (or other sponsors ale and a pie before kick off)

Sniper:

Each stadium employs a sniper, using VAR, the sniper will take out (leg shot) anyone who has dived.

Goal Music:

Even under these circumstances it can't been employed

Progression:

At 20 mins if the score is 0-0 the team with the least possession in the opposition half loses a player, same rule applies at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80 minutes.

Flasks:

Unfortunately they are still not permitted in this competition

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
For the last 10 minutes, plus stoppage time, both goalies leave the field of play and the game continues without any keepers.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Perhaps my attitude would vary if either of my granddaughters wanted to play football but at the moment I do not agree with Ladies Football at any level.[/QUOTE]

Do not agree with?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the last 10 minutes, plus stoppage time, both goalies leave the field of play and the game continues without any keepers.

Also put an outfield player already on the pitch to stop a team bringing on a keeper on 78 mins on the field in preparation for the 10 minutes. So no GK subs after 60 mins.only like for like due to injury. I am sure that Guardiola would bring on a sub keeper on 78 mins and play him outfield for 2 mins to circumvent any rule.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Perhaps my attitude would vary if either of my granddaughters wanted to play football but at the moment I do not agree with Ladies Football at any level.[/QUOTE]

Do not agree with?

Dont think it should exist.as a competitive sport I think the same about Ladies Cricket too many trying to be seen to be correct. Let men be men and ladies be ladies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here