Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to make the Carabao Cup more exciting

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Like the Red Bull Soap Box races, have extra points for pre match team performance - so a 30 second variety performance.

Agreed about point 5 Penalties - always thought that would be a good idea.

If a team gets a penalty, they can either take the kick, or nominate an opposition player to leave the field for the rest of the game.

Play with 2 balls.

Pre match lottery - the winning fan on each side gets to play the last 10 minutes.

Play with 2 balls. Classic!

Like the penalty idea as well.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
All players dress like this:

download.jpg

Plus we get commentary in the ground by a sozzled pundit.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The thing is although we all think its a bit of a waist of time, the bigger clubs do take it seriously as they dominate the last 10 + years winners , silverware is silverware, and lets face it we would love some of that !

2018 Manchester City
2017 Manchester United
2016 Manchester City
2015 Chelsea FC
2014 Manchester City
2013 Swansea City
2012 Liverpool FC
2011 Birmingham City
2010 Manchester United
2009 Manchester United
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2007 Chelsea FC
2006 Manchester United
2005 Chelsea FC

This also shows that little teams like Swansea, Birmingham, Liverpool and Spurs can get to win something.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
The thing is although we all think its a bit of a waist of time, the bigger clubs do take it seriously as they dominate the last 10 + years winners , silverware is silverware, and lets face it we would love some of that !

2018 Manchester City
2017 Manchester United
2016 Manchester City
2015 Chelsea FC
2014 Manchester City
2013 Swansea City
2012 Liverpool FC
2011 Birmingham City
2010 Manchester United
2009 Manchester United
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2007 Chelsea FC
2006 Manchester United
2005 Chelsea FC

I don't think they take it that seriously... It's more a fact that they have a much better 'second' team that most other teams including in the prem (Us, Palace, Burnley etc) and therefore have a much better chance of being able to deal with injuries and still be able to play their 'first' team in the leagues...

Not saying that's entirely the reason they win it - but it's much easier for them

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Was anyone else perplexed by the ball? It seemed like a balloon, very light and didn't produce the same noise on impact as the PL ones.

I'd hate to use that week in week out in the EFL.

I remember managers complaining about it last year.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As with that other minor trophy "The FA Cup " the competition has been devalued over time by the FA, and The Premier League. The big clubs (and I include BHA in that now) see it as a way of giving the second 11 something to do, and aren't really interested until the 1/4 final stage. They simply play a second 11 right up to the point where there are a couple of games left and then they put the big boys in, discarding the very players who have got them to that position. Fans now see the games as a minor distraction on a Tuesday night and are staying away in droves, as seen in the over half empty stadium last night. The clubs that do take it seriously (league 1 and 2) realistically aren't going to win it, but at least put forward their first teams. As a reward they don't even get the respect of playing half decent teams, but rather half the under 23 squads and fringe players of the bigger clubs. By all means use the cups to blood players, but at least pick teams that are going to make an attempt at winning the bloody thing

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Cup draws used to mean a lot more to me when we were in the EFL - praying (not literally) for a Prem side. But my desire for us to get through the rounds is still as strong as ever.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

2018 Manchester City
2017 Manchester United
2016 Manchester City
2015 Chelsea FC
2014 Manchester City
2013 Swansea City
2012 Liverpool FC
2011 Birmingham City
2010 Manchester United
2009 Manchester United
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2007 Chelsea FC
2006 Manchester United
2005 Chelsea FC

take it seriously or have insanely good squad depth?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Posted in a different thread before I saw this one.

Play mens team in the first half, womens in the second.
If you want to go even more radical mix the two.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
this thread maybe tongue in cheek, but you're actually on to something. i wonder what scope there is to play with game format and be innovative (you could sell it to the FA/FIFA as a useful testing ground for new ideas) - giving the tournament something distinctive.

sad truth is that even for Brighton fans, this competition clearly doesn't create much excitement anymore - in the early rounds at least.

one thing i'd like to see trialled is hockey style penalty shoot outs - player runs with ball from 20-25 yards out and has a time limited 1 on 1 with keeper.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unleash a Caribou onto the pitch at some point in the game. Each side must nutmeg it to have it removed.

The only answer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Exclude any teams who have qualified from Europe the previous season, to give lower prem (rather like us) or championship sides a good chance of victory

I'm not saying it's a good idea. It's just an idea

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Div 1 and Div 2 teams in the 1st round Championship clubs added in the 2nd round and Premier clubs in the 3rd. All teams must play 7 players who have appeared in 75% of games in the season fpor 3rd round onwards.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
How about making it the ENGLISH league cup. Only English born players can play. If you don't have enough, don't enter, or play kids.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
1) Play all matches behind closed doors to save the fans their money.
Or
2) Decide all games on the toss of a coin. This would also save the fans money, and the competition could be over in no time, depending on the tossers.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Half time raffle with the prize to play in the second half in a position of your choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here