Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vote to expel Albion from the League

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
As a fan of the club since the start of the beginning of the Withdean era I didn’t live through the dark days of Archer and only know of this based on what I’ve read subsequently or remember in glimpses from the local news as a young child.

As a result one piece of history from that time I’m aware of but would like to know more of is the vote in July 97 to expel the club from the league that the club won 47-17. Can anyone share any suggested reading on this?

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Thanks Sully should have clarified, I have read build a bonfire and was a great informative read.

I was more wondering from other sources? Build a bonfire talks a lot about the media at the time being very anti the club, particularly regarding the pitch invasions and fan protests being typecasted as hooliganism and thugary. So I was interested to read some of this to better understand why so many clubs voted for us to be expelled. Couldn’t imagine this happening today.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As a fan of the club since the start of the beginning of the Withdean era I didn’t live through the dark days of Archer and only know of this based on what I’ve read subsequently or remember in glimpses from the local news as a young child.

As a result one piece of history from that time I’m aware of but would like to know more of is the vote in July 97 to expel the club from the league that the club won 47-17. Can anyone share any suggested reading on this?

A vote of club chairmen yesterday saved Brighton from being expelled from the Football League - and the club then celebrated by confirming plans to ground share with Millwall.

League club chairmen voted by 47-17 against a motion to expel the Seagulls following the late payment of a pounds 500,000 bond requested to secure their status. It means Brighton will kick off the new season next month ground sharing with Gillingham. But the club announced that they intended to move to Millwall's New Den at the earliest opportunity.

The chief of the consortium buying Brighton, Dick Knight, expects to be named as the new chairman next week. Knight said: "The Football League chairmen have shown understanding of our position and given us the benefit of the doubt with this vote of confidence.

"As for Brighton, we're very near to completing the takeover process whereby I shall become chairman of the club. Today is a new start and we want to take the club back where we belong.

"Although we shall start the season playing at Gillingham, the overwhelming majority of our fans would prefer us to ground share with Millwall and we will be applying to the League to make the switch as soon as it is possible.

"This whole process will prove quite costly but we believe it's worth it because we want to play at Millwall."

The outgoing chairman, Bill Archer, confirmed that he would be staying on the board once he has handed over the reins to Knight and pledged a massive cash injection of his own.

He said: "I have put in pounds 500,000 for the bond and I intend to add another pounds 1.5m to help take the club into the new millennium. "We have three years to build a new stadium and we have put in a planning application to both the league and the local council and we hope to complete our objective."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-saved-brighton-to-share-new-den-1252462.html

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is there any available info on which clubs voted to expel us?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Is there any available info on which clubs voted to expel us?

Would think it was never made public, I vaguely recall some chairman of a lower league northern team wanting us out, Palace were in top division at time and probably we weren’t of any consequence to them at that time, Orient under Barry Hearn certainly weren’t sympathetic to our plight.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Oldham was one - there’s some info about this in Dick Knights book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Although they weren't in the league due to that historic result, Hereford were certainly stirring the pot with other clubs, lobbying & trying to get themselves a reprieve. I remember an interview in a newspaper at the time (forget which) where their secretary was really toxic towards BHA. Orient were certainly one. Barry Hearn had plenty to say at the time as I recall. For that reason, when these clubs were in a desperate plight in recent years, my attitude was they could 'do one.'

In the distant memory of my brain archive, Lincoln rings a bell as having been one of the 17. I stand to be corrected.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would think it was never made public, I vaguely recall some chairman of a lower league northern team wanting us out, Palace were in top division at time and probably we weren’t of any consequence to them at that time, Orient under Barry Hearn certainly weren’t sympathetic to our plight.

York City and Oldham Athletic were two northern clubs who voted to expel us. Perhaps not too surprising in the case of York, our home match against them in 1996/97 bering abandoned after the mass groung invasion.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Just referenced the book. Ian Stott the Oldham chairman was particularly hostile towards the Albion at the EGM. As well as 17 clubs voting to kick us out the league, it should be noted another eight abstained.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Its an interesting question, and I am pretty sure Ron Noads let it be known they did not vote for Brighton to expelled from the league...but that was a while ago and my memorey might be playing me up !

Palace were in the Premier League for 97/98, and therefore wouldn't have voted?

Ok. I said I believed it, but you're more likely to be right than me. Memories are strange things.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/pitch-invasion-could-be-brightons-death-knell-football-1272020.html

Pitch invasion could be Brighton's `death knell'
Monday 10 March 1997

Brighton, who are bottom of the League, and Leyton Orient could both be hauled before the Football Association after crowd trouble at the Goldstone Ground on Saturday.

The Third Division match was held up for four minutes in the second half after several home fans came onto the pitch, and one allegedly attacked Scott McGleish after he had scored for Orient in the 4-4 draw. Hove police questioned five people in the course of arrests made during and after the game, four of whom have been released on bail.

Liz Costa, the vice-chair of the official Brighton supporters club, believes there was an element of incitement from Orient players and the FA have promised to investigate. Costa said yesterday: "While there is no excuse for what happened and I condemn those who came onto the pitch as highly irresponsible, it must be taken into account that Orient players had been inciting home fans with obscene gestures.

"Brighton's future is still on a knife edge and this was the last thing we needed. It could cost us our League status... The feeling among Brighton fans at what has happened is one of anger. Barry Hearn [the Orient chairman] may be calling for tough action but Orient's part in this must be examined."

An FA spokesman, Steve Double, said: "We are obviously very concerned at the initial reports of players being attacked by fans. We will await the reports from the match officials and if necessary the police, too. We will also consider allegations of possible incitement by players."

Brighton recently failed with their appeal to the FA to win back two points following a pitch invasion in their home game against Lincoln on 1 October, but Double stressed there was no outstanding suspended sentence against the club.

Hearn said: "The security was appalling. This is a very sad day for Brighton and it could be the death knell for them.We simply can't condone what the Brighton fans did and we will protest."

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In chapter 13 of Dick Knight's book, he mentions Ian Stott, the Oldham chairman, speaking vociferously in favour of throwing us out and only Dan MacCauley of Plymouth speaking out on our behalf. 17 clubs voted to expel us, 47 to let us stay and 8 abstained.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Barry Hearn, that "saviour" of smaller clubs, was very vocal in wanting us kicked out.
That's why I can't stand the sight of him or his spiv offspring & also why Orient's plight doesn't bother me one bit.
It's called Karma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here