Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20+ goals a season striker?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
CH kept faith in Hemed and eventually was rewarded. However he then went back inside his shell when we needed him most. Either that or the quality of the opposition was too much for him.

For a sustained push for auto promotion we must get two new first choice strikers in, keeping Hemed on the bench.

I'd rather get one of real quality and pray for no injuries than 2 who may not be much better than what we have.

We need 2 strikers, i'm not sure we need 2 first choice strikers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"we have 20+ goals a season strikers on our books on a regular basis."

i didn't realise you meant they didn't actually have to have *scored* 20 goals in a season. (before or since) . you just think they could/should have.
In which case . fair enough.

I'd like to think that you'd agree that any of Murray/Barnes/Ulloa would score a shitload of goals at this level with the current massively improved level of service. The fact that our current first choices up front are unable to do so is a cause for concern shirley? And yes I am fully aware how many goals Hemed has scored and Baldock hasn't. IMHO both has reached their personal ceiling. No shame in that, but it doesn't help us progress to the next level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anybody suggested Matty Taylor of Bristol Rovers or have we been put off by CMS coming with a great reputation.

PLEASE somebody proven at this level or above! We have been shit at finding lower league British strikers for years, almost as shit as we are at bringing them through the ranks.

BZ and Murray being the obvious exceptions

biddles911

May 12, 2014
CH kept faith in Hemed and eventually was rewarded. However he then went back inside his shell when we needed him most. Either that or the quality of the opposition was too much for him.

For a sustained push for auto promotion we must get two new first choice strikers in, keeping Hemed on the bench.

I think 17 goals for a first season is good and I certainly think Hemed could be our first line striker next season. He'll score a lot more in my view with an upgrade on Baldock.

The idea that running around pulling defenders in his wake is enough at this level is risible in my opinion. If it really is good enough let's get Paula Radcliffe on the books; she'd show most defenders a clean pair of heels!

Got to have a replacement for Baldock but I'd settle for a 10+ goal man who can really support Hemed (surely a lot easier to find than a 20+ man too?).

Obviously need replacement for BZ but would keep Wilson if he's available. He looked tremendous for the first few games until he fell ill and he will improve.

Great if we can get a proven 20+ goal man too but they're like gold dust and cost as much!

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
PLEASE somebody proven at this level or above! We have been shit at finding lower league British strikers for years, almost as shit as we are at bringing them through the ranks.

BZ and Murray being the obvious exceptions

Proven? Who? and how much do you think we have?

Cos our budget we have to gamble on either: old legs, young legs or overseas legs!

We have hemed, and goals from other positions, we just need another stiker or two to get into double figures at least!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we were just unlucky with CMS due to injuries and the system we played. Mind he doesnt seem to have improved at Luton. It worked for us with Peter Ward.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I think 17 goals for a first season is good and I certainly think Hemed could be our first line striker next season. He'll score a lot more in my view with an upgrade on Baldock.

The idea that running around pulling defenders in his wake is enough at this level is risible in my opinion. If it really is good enough let's get Paula Radcliffe on the books; she'd show most defenders a clean pair of heels!

Got to have a replacement for Baldock but I'd settle for a 10+ goal man who can really support Hemed (surely a lot easier to find than a 20+ man too?).

Obviously need replacement for BZ but would keep Wilson if he's available. He looked tremendous for the first few games until he fell ill and he will improve.

Great if we can get a proven 20+ goal man too but they're like gold dust and cost as much!

i dont agree about Hemed, he was almost ever present and 17 goals doesn't tell the whole story as he's the penalty taker.... how many from open play? 10-12?

thats no return at all for a team producing this many chances, with such quality midfield and wings, he's pretty decent with his head, he's also not so decent on his feet.

if we're serious about the autos, we need quality first choice competition for both Hemed and Baldock, Murray would be the ideal choice for the Hemed role and in this team and these wingers, he would have a field day. Baldock does defend brilliantly when we havent got the ball and drops into midfield, he also makes a lot of intelligent runs that create spaces, he's just lost his finishing touch. He's more complicated to replace as he does everything well except score. We dont need a proven goalscorer to replace Baldock, we need a forward who can defend well + score more than Baldock (ala Ashley Barnes) And i think Hemed does better with Baldock than he would without him, but Murray and Baldock would get a lot more. Murray and another better goalscorer who can double up to make a 5 in midfield and we'd be really going places next season.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
i dont agree about Hemed, he was almost ever present and 17 goals doesn't tell the whole story as he's the penalty taker.... how many from open play? 10-12?

thats no return at all for a team producing this many chances, with such quality midfield and wings, he's pretty decent with his head, he's also not so decent on his feet.

if we're serious about the autos, we need quality first choice competition for both Hemed and Baldock, Murray would be the ideal choice for the Hemed role and in this team and these wingers, he would have a field day. Baldock does defend brilliantly when we havent got the ball and drops into midfield, he also makes a lot of intelligent runs that create spaces, he's just lost his finishing touch. He's more complicated to replace as he does everything well except score. We dont need a proven goalscorer to replace Baldock, we need a forward who can defend well + score more than Baldock (ala Ashley Barnes) And i think Hemed does better with Baldock than he would without him, but Murray and Baldock would get a lot more. Murray and another better goalscorer who can double up to make a 5 in midfield and we'd be really going places next season.

Hemed scored 5 penalties so a net 12. Most of the other leading goal scorers in the division have a similar number however so it doesn't really affect his overall ranking.

We clearly have a different view of Baldock's worth to the team. Don't deny his level of effort though I can't say I've been very conscious of his defensive capabilities.

Just don't think they work particularly well together and we can't have a front line striker only scoring 4 goals a season particularly with the chances we create now.

Think most contributors on the thread recognise the need to strengthen forward options though particularly as we'll probably lose BZ and Wilson.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont shoot the messenger but son has just phoned and apparently where he was working today he was told that Murray deal was done and finance agreed but CH said he was not needed at the 11th hour but will definitely be joining during the summer. I hope it is true but only passing on what son tells me from 3rd hand.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
WE need two strikers as most people know once Bobby and Wilson leave . We need an experienced goal scorer and a young hungry one.

Young one? Go and get Lookman from Charlton. Won't cost a bomb now they are in league 1.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Hemed scored 5 penalties so a net 12. Most of the other leading goal scorers in the division have a similar number however so it doesn't really affect his overall ranking.

We clearly have a different view of Baldock's worth to the team. Don't deny his level of effort though I can't say I've been very conscious of his defensive capabilities.

Just don't think they work particularly well together and we can't have a front line striker only scoring 4 goals a season particularly with the chances we create now.

Think most contributors on the thread recognise the need to strengthen forward options though particularly as we'll probably lose BZ and Wilson.....

Wilson wont be any great loss, BZ on and off the pitch as he's a true Albion legend

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... and another better goalscorer who can double up to make a 5 in midfield and we'd be really going places next season.

dropping back to midfield will always reduce the opportunities and lower the goal count, so suddenly the goalscorer is not looking so great, getting frustrated, fans on his case etc. so does one pay out for the goal scorer, who then stays further up field, or pay less for the grafter who doesnt score but makes up the numbers in midfield.

while they are good at their roles, i dont think Baldock and Hemed link up well, so often a ball into either will be lost as there's no immediate outlet under pressure, or lose second balls. its more complex than simply having a couple of high double digit goalscorers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here