Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As a relative JCL to this thread am guessing the NSC strava population is purely for Brighton based peeps?

I'm in Harrow and finding it tough to motivate with little or no dhirect competition etc.

It has a nationwide spread of Brighton fans. Get on there.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can someone clarify for me, on the half marathon, are there several pace runners in each "pen".

I'm in the 2.15-2.30 pen, so would their be a 2 hour pace runner in there or only a 2.15 and 2.30 chap?

Sorry for the INANE questions!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How do you link the group to the app? I've created my profile via My google account and clicked the link above but no group section on the app?

Once you're in the group (I'm not sure if someone has to accept you) then within the home screen of Strava where it lists activities, there is a dropdown at the very top centre (on the iPhone at least). By default it shows people you are following, but you can switch that to show the NSC group (and any other groups you are part of).

Edit: I think you have to join the group using the web rather than the app before the above will happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I can see both [MENTION=638]Bigtomfu[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] in the group now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can someone clarify for me, on the half marathon, are there several pace runners in each "pen".

I'm in the 2.15-2.30 pen, so would their be a 2 hour pace runner in there or only a 2.15 and 2.30 chap?

Sorry for the INANE questions!

You can always change pen. Either just blazen it out or cover your number/colour with a bin bag as you go in.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You can always change pen. Either just blazen it out or cover your number/colour with a bin bag as you go in.

Oh, don't get me wrong....I think I'm in the right pen!!!

Just wondering if there would be a 2 hour chap to aim for if I'm feeling like its going quite well.....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Just wondering if there would be a 2 hour chap to aim for if I'm feeling like its going quite well.....

Chasing a pacer really helped me and got me three minutes under 2 hrs which was the target. Does get a bit busy around and about them though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He'll be 15 minutes in front then.

Oh ok. I was being massively thick there.

I was thinking, because it's stuttured, my pen would have a 2 hour guy in there AS WELL as obviously we will be MILES behind the original 2hour chap.

I know what I mean :lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Chasing a pacer really helped me and got me three minutes under 2 hrs which was the target. Does get a bit busy around and about them though.

That's my plan......although it's much easier for me to say that when I'm sitting here sipping a coffee and not blowing with cramped legs!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Take it from experience, if you're thinking two hours is on, start with the pacer - it's almost too much of an effort to catch up with them, and then subsequently stay with them. I tried to catch the 3:30 (or was it 3:45?) pacer at Brighton marathon from my starting point by the 4:00 one. I think I did close to a sub-7 min mile for mile one of the Marathon! Absolute madness, and I blew up by mile 18/19.

More recently, I stuck with the 1:40 pacer at Worthing Half last weekend, not really knowing if I could keep up. Eventually got ahead of him, and finished in 1:39 dead.

So basically what I'm saying is be brave, because it's far easier to ease off than it is to catch up.

Good luck.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Take it from experience, if you're thinking two hours is on, start with the pacer - it's almost too much of an effort to catch up with them, and then subsequently stay with them. I tried to catch the 3:30 (or was it 3:45?) pacer at Brighton marathon from my starting point by the 4:00 one. I think I did close to a sub-7 min mile for mile one of the Marathon! Absolute madness, and I blew up by mile 18/19.

More recently, I stuck with the 1:40 pacer at Worthing Half last weekend, not really knowing if I could keep up. Eventually got ahead of him, and finished in 1:39 dead.

So basically what I'm saying is be brave, because it's far easier to ease off than it is to catch up.

Good luck.

That's great advice. Thanks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good luck.
Good advice. Couple of years ago I ran London after doing Brighton the week before, deliberately avoiding looking at my watch and aiming for around 4 hrs. Saw a pacer up ahead just after half way, so caught the group up....turned out it was the 3.30 group. Completely died on my arse 30 mins later:-D

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Good luck.

Really good advice, as others have rightly said. Pacing yourself is the hardest thing to do when running a long distance and you can easily make a complete womble of it. I was going well at 4/5 miles on Sunday and thought I had a chance of closing the door on the 1:30 pacer but by mile 7 I was fighting to stay ahead of the 1:40 fella who cruised past me just after mile 8 and I was done, expired beyond words. Then at the 10 mile mark I was trying to motivate myself to give it a Parkrun style run but I just had nothing left because pacing was all over the place. It's easy to say it in hindsight, and in preparation, but you have to be smart during a long run and pace it wisely otherwise you'll find you have nothing left. I missed my target on Sunday by about a mile and a half, in terms of pace, which is disappointing but completely my own fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here