Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do you live: East or West Sussex?

Where do you live: east side or west side?

• East east east Sussex

Votes: 123 39.7%
  • West west west Sussex

Votes: 128 41.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 59 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Very true. I always remember Bramber for a rather peculiar local museum, long since closed. I was taken there several times by my parents many many years ago. It had a stuffed two headed cat on display. Gave me nightmares for years.

Can anyone else remember that? I'm probably going back to the early/mid 1960's.

It was called Potters museum of curiosities, i remembered it from when I was a kid, and had told my kids about it.
It closed in Bramber in the seventies, and I had always wondered what had happened to it, then, on a family holiday we went to Jamaica Inn on Bodmin moor, and there it was. Exactly as it was in Bramber, I took the kids round it, and spoke to the woman in charge who said it was closing down the following week, and was going to be split up and auctioned, which it was.

Mr Potter of Bramber
by Tony Ketteman

Had you lived in West Sussex during the last quarter of the 19th century, you may well have chosen to spend a sunny afternoon sampling the delights of Bramber. This is still something people do, but the modern visitor enjoys a very different experience to those tourists arriving by train over a century ago.

Potter's Museum
This postcard is held at Steyning Museum. It shows Potter's Museum (also known as Bramber Museum) in The Street, Bramber. The view is across the front garden with an ornamental stone fountain, flower beds and benches during the 1930s.

To the late Victorians, Bramber was a thriving entertainment centre, known for its tea gardens and in particular, for Potter's Museum. So popular were these attractions that the platform at Bramber station had to be lengthened to accommodate the long trains needed to bring the crowds at weekends. For those of you who lived locally in the 1970's, Potter's Museum will be remembered as somewhere to delight the children on those wet days in the school holidays. We saw Walter Potter's stuffed animals as a curiosity, but they are now out of fashion and not quite in tune with our present view of the world.

The Victorians viewed the world differently and a case displaying a stuffed bird or family pet was a commonplace in the parlour. This echoed the grander displays of the stag's heads of the hunting classes and the trophies from India displayed by the sons of empire. Given this interest, it is no wonder that Potter's collection of humorous taxidermy drew such large crowds of day trippers to Bramber.

Stuffed CanaryWalter Potter was born in 1835 and began to experiment with taxidermy by the age of 15, preserving the body of a pet canary. His family ran the White Lion (now the Castle) in Bramber and as he expanded his experiments in preservation, he was obliged to move to the stable loft. This was the time of the Great Exhibition and one of the attractions was much to the taste of the Victorians, Hermann Ploucquet's display of taxidermy. The Comical Creatures from Wurtemberg showed stuffed animals in human situations. They were so popular that a book of hand-coloured engravings of them was published. We have no way of knowing whether young Walter Potter saw the exhibition or the book, but his growing interest in taxidermy was clearly much in tune with popular taste.

By the age of 19, he had produced 98 stuffed birds which made up the first of the tableaux for which he became well known. This was "The Original Death and Burial of Cock Robin", inspired by a book of stories belonging to his younger sister. Within the large glass case was displayed the sorrowful funeral procession of Cock Robin together with the Sparrow who killed him with his bow and arrow, Parson Rook and the Owl who dug the grave, accompanied by the mourners, all of whom made their way through the graveyard.

The tableau was an immediate success with the customers of the White Lion when it was first displayed in a summer house behind the inn in the summer of 1861. This success launched young Walter on a career preparing stuffed animals for Victorian parlours, but he continued to produce the more creative tableaux. His growing stock meant a move to new premises in 1866 and again in 1880 to the specially constructed building still in Bramber today. By then the collection was termed a 'museum' and the tableaux of small animals and birds had been joined by the likes of the two-headed lambs and four-legged chickens which fascinated later generations of children.
Where did Waiter obtain the large number of animals he used in the displays? We know that he had an arrangement with Ward's Farm in Henfield to take over their continuous supply of unwanted kittens produced by the farm cats, and his growing reputation locally meant that the public brought him items of interest.

Walter died in 1918 and was buried in Bramber churchyard, but the museum continued under the direction of his daughter and grandson. Sadly, by the early 1970s the family had decided to sell the Museum, which resulted in it moving first to Arundel, then to Jamaica Inn in Cornwall in the mid 1980s. The final blow for Walter Potter's collection came with the decision by the proprietors of Jamaica Inn that they could make more profitable use of the space occupied by the collection which was therefore auctioned in September 2003.

The management of Steyning Museum decided it should try to retain some of the collection for Steyning, Bramber and Beeding. Chris Tod, the museum curator, travelled to the auction in Cornwall. The prices were sky high and the museum did not manage to acquire all that it would have liked, to commemorate the achievement of Walter Potter. Steyning Museum's collection was displayed in a special exhibition and some of this, including the canary above, is currently on show in our new extension.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Very true. I always remember Bramber for a rather peculiar local museum, long since closed. I was taken there several times by my parents many many years ago. It had a stuffed two headed cat on display. Gave me nightmares for years.

It also had a classroom full of Ginger kittens who had supposedly all died of natural causes before being stuffed and put in a class cabinet. Remember it well.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I live on a boat and go wherever I fancy. Nearest football league club to me at the moment would be Wolverhampton Wanderers I think. But I'll be at the Amex on Saturday!

image.jpg

:whistle:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton born and bred but moved to the dark side after meeting my wife and spreading the seed. It's ok but there is no place like home

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

I remember Potter's Museum of Curiosity when it was in Arundel in the 80s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...uffed-animals-goes-on-show-again.html?image=4

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
I lived in East Sussex for about 11 years, then West Sussex for about 8 years - without moving house.

Now neither.

without moving house - i also lived in East,West and Mid Sussex - (Albourne)

I think that the pole should be updated for East,West and Mid Sussex and B&H

or Brighton in East Hove in West

Sussex was divided into two administrative counties, East Sussex and West Sussex together with three self-governing county boroughs, Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings. In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, the county boundaries were revised with the mid-Sussex area of East Grinstead, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill and Hassocks being transferred from East Sussex into West Sussex

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As a hard core West loyalist, I'm hoping that this secret ballot will allow the 'shy Westies' (who for reasons known only to themselves would not have disclosed their whereabouts to pollsters) will 'come out' and allow the under-dogs to bask in an historic victory.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The sooner the county becomes one again the better.

In population terms a re-merged county would put us 8th in population terms, so on a par with Hampshire, Kent and Essex - rather than the 27th and 29th places we occupy now as two counties.

Similarly, we'd be 9th largest in size, rather than 20th and 22nd.

Last edited:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Born & grew up in west not far from Brighton. Live in hove, have never lived in Brighton.

If anyone ever asks me where I'm from I say Brighton & not Sussex

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oooh, the West is making a comeback :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here