Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones and Driving.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Out of interest, when was the last time you saw a police car out on rounds and not speeding off to some other incident. When I started driving in the early 80s, they would lie in wait all over the place - I don't think I've seen one for maybe 20 years. No wonder people start to ignore the law.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Very moving. But I can't help wondering how soon they'll be back in their cars, with their mobile phones up and running, safe in the knowledge that in their heart of hearts, deep down, they know "Yeh right, but it won't happen to me".
It was more about the injured girl-I would be surprised if any of the others are doing anything different.

Becktheman

Jul 7, 2015
I was waiting at the traffic lights at the top of Sackville Road when a van (guess the colour) rolled into the back of my car. Went to the van and the driver was fumbling with his mobile phone and he said sorry my foot slipped.

Last edited:

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
on fines or points, when caught (if the police are about) nail & block of wood - nail the phone through the touchscreen into the wood , hand it back to the driver

driver then has to explain to boss why he needs a new works phone, kids have the embarisment of using Nokia til thier 24 montyh contrcat rolls round

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's also easier for police to make money from speeding rather than trying to prove that people are using mobile phones as people keep the phones low down most of the time.

If the police kept all the money from speeding fines, don't you think (a) they'd be out looking for speeders a lot more and (b) they'd be fining more people, rather than promoting the speed awareness courses?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've seen people driving past the Police station while on mobiles, nobody cares because the punishments aren't harsh enough.
Instant bans need to be introduced.

Or/and the chances of getting prosecuted in the fist place are so low.

Maybe its an age thing (probably), but I really do not understand why so many people - mainly younger, and so often female - feel the need to text or chat on their phones all the time.

Incidentally, just back from a week's holiday in New York, and reckon that literally 95% of women under the age of 40 (but only about 20% of blokes) were permanently texting or talking on their mobiles while walking anywhere (even while strolling round a department store, or sat on a subway train)!

If a Martian came down, it would return to its planet, and when asked to describe what young women looked like on Earth, would say "They are the ones with a Smartphone at the end of their arm, where a hand used to be, or attached to the side of their head."

How can people have so much to say or text all day long? Do they have to give their friends a running commentary on everything they do, as they do it? Do they do nothing else to do with their lives.:mad:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Or/and the chances of getting prosecuted in the fist place are so low.

Maybe its an age thing (probably), but I really do not understand why so many people - mainly younger, and so often female - feel the need to text or chat on their phones all the time.

Incidentally, just back from a week's holiday in New York, and reckon that literally 95% of women under the age of 40 (but only about 20% of blokes) were permanently texting or talking on their mobiles while walking anywhere (even while strolling round a department store, or sat on a subway train)!

If a Martian came down, it would return to its planet, and when asked to describe what young women looked like on Earth, would say "They are the ones with a Smartphone at the end of their arm, where a hand used to be, or attached to the side of their head."

How can people have so much to say or text all day long? Do they have to give their friends a running commentary on everything they do, as they do it? Do they do nothing else to do with their lives.:mad:

Not being sexist here but the difference in the sexes using phones is proof that women can't help but talk, gossip, need to know what's going on and tell everyone else what's going on.
Every day whilst driving around the city if I need to turn into a road I have to think that person ( usually a woman) is not going stop at the kerb because she is using her phone so I have to give way while she crosses, the car behind me thinks I am going to turn into a clear road and nearly hits the back of me.
Dodging women in the streets because they are on the phone, texting/Facebook while sitting in traffic, traffic moves on but they don't and the light goes red again.
Makes my piss boil.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not being sexist here but the difference in the sexes using phones is proof that women can't help but talk, gossip, need to know what's going on and tell everyone else what's going on.
Every day whilst driving around the city if I need to turn into a road I have to think that person ( usually a woman) is not going stop at the kerb because she is using her phone so I have to give way while she crosses, the car behind me thinks I am going to turn into a clear road and nearly hits the back of me.
Dodging women in the streets because they are on the phone, texting/Facebook while sitting in traffic, traffic moves on but they don't and the light goes red again.
Makes my piss boil.

On any other issue, I genuinely consider myself a good, liberal, anti-sexist, kind of bloke, but when it comes to their constant mobile phone use, young women make me despair! Even a group of women friends meeting-up in a pub or restaurant will then spend more time reading or sending text messages that they do talking to each other!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
On any other issue, I genuinely consider myself a good, liberal, anti-sexist, kind of bloke, but when it comes to their constant mobile phone use, young women make me despair! Even a group of women friends meeting-up in a pub or restaurant will then spend more time reading or sending text messages that they do talking to each other!

Me too.
So to balance things up a bit blokes in vans(especially parcel delivery)
This week, driving down the A38 at 70 mph there was a middle lane hogger driving a bit wobbly I had to overtake I looked to my left, it was a bloke in his fifties. What was his profession and had his signage all over his car? a driving instructor!!!
I looked at him as I passed and just shook my head, he carried on regardless.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I was at a roundabout in shoreham and saw an idiot holding his phone texting using his elbows to steer his car. Unbelievable. Moron.

Jan 30, 2008
PROBLEM IS ALL THESE TOSSERS MORONS ETC DON'T GIVE A **** JUST FULL OF THEIR OWN SELF IMPORTANCE what are their pathetic excuses going to be when/if they get caught
regards
DR

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems plenty of people can't go more than 2 or 3 mins without looking at their phones, it must be tough driving and not being able to look for a hour or more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Makes my piss boil.

It's everywhere, and not just women. In Canary Wharf it's impossible to walk more than a few yards without someone gazing into their phone walking straight at you, virtually any lift I get into will have everyone looking at their phones as soon as they step in and on the tube a majority of suited and booted city-type gents seem to be obsessed with Candy Crush.

I've had to warn two staff at work about their constant use of their mobiles (both male) as it got to the point of others talking about it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here