Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Give it a go. I think Josh Homme has got his level of support and input just right on this. You can hear the QOTSA in there, but he doesn't "Homme" all over it, so to speak. Breathed new life into Iggy by giving him a superb support band, IMO.

Will do. In fact I saw it Saturday evening and did give it a go...just too drunk to remember anything.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will do. In fact I saw it Saturday evening and did give it a go...just too drunk to remember anything.

First 5 tracks are all winners (especially American Valhalla), really like Paraguay at the end as well.

Best opening line on the album (from Sunday)

"This house, is as slick as a Senator's statement."

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Listening again to the Anohni album, this time with headphones on and it's a different experience entirely. There are some very dark moments in it. I still maintain it's her best album in years. No doubts about that.

Just been listening to it on the way to and from that fantastic Complicite/Simon McBurney performance at The Attenborough Arts Centre. I got a totally different experience of the album in an enclosed space, and the lyrics are well worth highlighting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First 5 tracks are all winners (especially American Valhalla), really like Paraguay at the end as well.

Best opening line on the album (from Sunday)

"This house, is as slick as a Senator's statement."

Got myself a nice beer and spinning this now. Really enjoying it. Gardenia is a stand out track. I also really like the production especially the bass work and it's sound.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Finally got round the listening to Parquet Courts - Human Performance and I think I really like it, first listen was questionable but a second go through it clicked a bit. Decent effort, will now head into the back catalogue I reckon.

6/10

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Anhoni album keeps growing and growing as well.

Agreed. I think you could be right about AOTY, definitely a contender and if it isn't on the Mercury List then I'll eat my hat.

Have you heard of The Burning Hell? I've been listening to their album a lot this weekend and can't get enough of it. Difficult to describe adequately but very good.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agreed. I think you could be right about AOTY, definitely a contender and if it isn't on the Mercury List then I'll eat my hat.

Have you heard of The Burning Hell? I've been listening to their album a lot this weekend and can't get enough of it. Difficult to describe adequately but very good.

I know of them because, the name appeals and they play Brighton regularly but I don't think I've ever heard them. Will do so at some point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The much-awaited new Richard Ashcroft album 'These People' is out today. Forget all his other solo stuff which has, frankly, been pedestrian at best. In the words of @Wozza it's his best solo stuff and I agree. There's no denying it, it is a bit dad rock in places but that was inevitable and it's well within acceptable limits and unlike anything he's done since The Verve, there's a few killers in there too. Hold On and This Is How It Feels in particular are great summer anthems. Hold On is my ear-worm at the moment, as it happens. It does lose its way a little after track 6 but even those fillers are much better than his previous album fillers.

I love this video to Hold On too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjgA_EslBY

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right. Going to kick of today with the new Moderat album, then move onto PJ Harvey, then Iggy and finish with a bit of Max Richter. All good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS in a moment of post-gig euphoria I resolved the issue of the bent Suuns sleeve and bought a pristine copy at their gig last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Late to the party but the new PJ Harvey album is great. Very melodic in parts. Interesting lyrics and themes

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Been waiting for this, a couple of listens :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Front.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Late to the party but the new PJ Harvey album is great. Very melodic in parts. Interesting lyrics and themes

This is working its way to be a contender for my album of the year.

(the Orange Monkey does sound like an Arcade Fire song though)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Currently taking in the new Pantha Du Prince album 'The Triad'. First impressions are that it's a STONKER. Really enjoying it on it's second time through, some lovely build ups and lots of intricate TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO but without ever really sounding like it is gonna go off into the world of up it's own arse like minimal can.

Solid 8/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here