Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the post, my problem is I'm too bloody minded. I understand just how stupid it is, I am being bloody stupid. The problem is my daft brain keeps telling me it'll be ok and that I need to complete the target I have set myself.
Also the problem is I am a fairly active person who is normally busy with work or family life and I am now next to useless, this also has given way to boredom and I'm climbing the walls I need to do some form of exercise.
I'm struggling to think of exercise that I can do safely without pain.
I know I'm moaning and people on this thread have had far worse and more restrictive injuries, but tonight I feel exasperated.
I did try to run on the treadmill prior to reading your post one painful mile. I won't do that again.
I've now reached a compromise in my head and I'm going to go for a brisk walk tomorrow and count that. I know it's being daft but I need to get out of the house.
Again thanks for your post it was appreciated.

To be fair, I wrote the whole thing and felt like a hypocrite because I ignore sensible advice and run through it regardless, I'm trying to cut down on it but if I feel I need to go for a run, I do. There are times I just have to get out as well, so I do understand that. But running when you're physically and properly injured, that has to be the line!

But to quote one of the few memes I see which actually makes sense - if people don't laugh at your goals, you haven't set them high enough.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Morning all. I am now back from Iceland having run the Reykjavik marathon on Saturday. As many people will know by previous marathon PB was 5.14 and I had been training hard (and following weight watchers) for the last few months as I was determined to break the 5 hour barrier. All my training had been around 11 minute miles which would have achieved 4.46. The day was unusually warm but it was a fantastic course with about 1,300 runners (20,000 runners in total doing either the Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k, 5k or 3k runs as part of the Reykjavik Cultural day) and the support was superb. I felt good all the way round, running with my mate Fiona for the first 8 miles and then we parted ways as Fi had been injured so was looking to finish rather than a time. I saw my Mum and Kev (our support team :) ) at 7 miles and again at 20 miles. I used virtually every drink station (they were every 5km with water and poweraid) and was so so happy as I crossed the finish line in 4.41.24 :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/688864007

At the end I was very tired and very happy and my first thoughts (once the lactic acid pain had gone) was so which one do I do next!

Also my fund raising has gone well and in total I have now raised £10,000 for the Martlets which was my aim!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Mark-Raven1

My next runs are a 10k in East Grinstead (25th September) and the Great South Run in Portsmouth which is 10 miles on the 23rd October.

Mark R

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Morning all. I am now back from Iceland having run the Reykjavik marathon on Saturday. As many people will know by previous marathon PB was 5.14 and I had been training hard (and following weight watchers) for the last few months as I was determined to break the 5 hour barrier. All my training had been around 11 minute miles which would have achieved 4.46. The day was unusually warm but it was a fantastic course with about 1,300 runners (20,000 runners in total doing either the Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k, 5k or 3k runs as part of the Reykjavik Cultural day) and the support was superb. I felt good all the way round, running with my mate Fiona for the first 8 miles and then we parted ways as Fi had been injured so was looking to finish rather than a time. I saw my Mum and Kev (our support team :) ) at 7 miles and again at 20 miles. I used virtually every drink station (they were every 5km with water and poweraid) and was so so happy as I crossed the finish line in 4.41.24 :)

At the end I was very tired and very happy and my first thoughts (once the lactic acid pain had gone) was so which one do I do next!

Also my fund raising has gone well and in total I have now raised £10,000 for the Martlets which was my aim!

My next runs are a 10k in East Grinstead (25th September) and the Great South Run in Portsmouth which is 10 miles on the 23rd October.

Mark R

Excellent effort. Sounds a fun trip and run. Perfectly executed. Great that the Martlets have benefited so well from your toil.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Mark R

Well done, you absolutely smashed it! I'm really pleased for you. :)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Mark R

Great effort, well done.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Mark R

Brilliant effort ,well done Mark,

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Mark R

That is a huge chunk to take off a pb. You must be made up with that, well done.

No park run today as running Newick 10k tomorrow. Is anyone else running?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is a huge chunk to take off a pb. You must be made up with that, well done.

No park run today as running Newick 10k tomorrow. Is anyone else running?

Good luck tomorrow. We need to give youngsters times to look up to. Went to Hove Park today ready for a 25" jog but [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] was so fired up his adrenaline transposed into my head. So gave it nearly all. Unfortunately the legs could only get 21:40 in very hot conditions. So that's it for sub 20 efforts until November. Still up for a Parkrun next week. I can play away if you want Eastbourne or wherever. Should be a close finish.

It's imperative you run 5-10 seconds off your race pace for 2-3 miles and then gradually open up. You know it works, I did it in the Phoenix. :lolol:

This morning I ran Sussex Trail event - The Hard 13 from Clayton, up to South Downs Way, east to Housedon Farm & back.
Was sunny & very warm out there. Finished 22nd in 2:10. The guy who was out front, by some way, collapsed about 200 yards from the finish. May have been dehydrated but plenty of paramedics around including the Air Ambulance. Hope the fella is ok. It really is not worth pushing yourself too hard in this heat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mark R

Excellent work and well done.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Mark R

Great running, really delighted for you. That's a sizeable chunk to take of a PB. Enjoy the rest and recovery and then sub 4:30 next time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Entries for the Mince Pie Ten are now open. It's Sunday 4th December 11am starting at Peacehaven Leisure Centre. Would highly recommend this race and definitely a highlight of the racing year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Entries for the Mince Pie Ten are now open. It's Sunday 4th December 11am starting at Peacehaven Leisure Centre. Would highly recommend this race and definitely a highlight of the racing year.
That's a shame, it's on the day of my dad's 60th and we're heading out for a spot of sunday lunch. A brilliant race and I'd wanted to run it again but nevermind.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Good luck tomorrow. We need to give youngsters times to look up to. Went to Hove Park today ready for a 25" jog but [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] was so fired up his adrenaline transposed into my head. So gave it nearly all. Unfortunately the legs could only get 21:40 in very hot conditions. So that's it for sub 20 efforts until November. Still up for a Parkrun next week. I can play away if you want Eastbourne or wherever. Should be a close finish.

It's imperative you run 5-10 seconds off your race pace for 2-3 miles and then gradually open up. You know it works, I did it in the Phoenix. :lolol:

Sir: I'm too simple to work out how to tag on here but if he scrolls quite a bit down this page, there is an excellent picture of Mr Bobkin: https://www.flickr.com/groups/brighton-and-hove-parkrun/pool/

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's a shame, it's on the day of my dad's 60th and we're heading out for a spot of sunday lunch. A brilliant race and I'd wanted to run it again but nevermind.

I'm sure he would welcome a slap up meal at the Toby Carvery in Peacehaven! A quick shower and you could be at one of the south coasts finest dining experiences before 1pm

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sure he would welcome a slap up meal at the Toby Carvery in Peacehaven! A quick shower and you could be at one of the south coasts finest dining experiences before 1pm

Unfortunately, he's only aware of about three eating establishments. And one of them is a hotel!

I've been out for a 13.1 miler today, feeling a bit of tenderness in my left calf which I've never have had a problem with before but I think it's more a commentary on the speed work I've been doing over the last couple of weeks. I'm definitely feeling the benefits of the training plan, but I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't involve enough milage. Quality over quantity though, I suppose.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unfortunately, he's only aware of about three eating establishments. And one of them is a hotel!

I've been out for a 13.1 miler today, feeling a bit of tenderness in my left calf which I've never have had a problem with before but I think it's more a commentary on the speed work I've been doing over the last couple of weeks. I'm definitely feeling the benefits of the training plan, but I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't involve enough milage. Quality over quantity though, I suppose.
Love Mince Pie - gonna see if I can work it around kids football.

I got semi-lost up on the Downs on a 12-miler this morning and then ran into a tree branch back in Shoreham-by-Sea. All good fun though [emoji38]

Joined by lots of those doing the South Downs Challenge. Any NSCers do it? Some of them seemed fine, others seemed almost out for the count, but had over 30km to go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here