Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton fans with half and half scarves

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Saw loads on sale and loads being worn. Didn't see any in our end myself. Almost all of those that I saw were Chinese Man Utd fans of which there appeared to be hundreds if not thousands. Place has turned into a tourist attraction rather than a football club...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
35 years since we played at OT in the top league. Or, put another way, anyone under 45 wont remember that day.
This game was a culmination of years of hard work from the club. It was the game many looked for first on the fixture list, and not because they are Man Utd supporters. On my coach alone four people came back with half/half scarfs, maybe for themselves or their kids, who knows, but being on that coach meant they had loyalty points so must be fans. On arrival I took selfies of me in front of that well know sign. Inside I got a steward to take a photo of me with the pitch behind. This game, beyond any other, said "yes Brighton have made the big time".
After the game I walked past the sellers with the scarfs and thought NEVER.

There are some posters who think taking selfies at football, is a big no no.

Each to their own. There is no right or wrong.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Loads of kids with half and half scarfs in TW Train back. They are a family over for the weekend from Singapore.

I think the kids may become hooked on the Albion now from a far.

Played a great game today. Confused the hell out of a dozen half and half scarf sellers by asking if they had any half and half hats.

What fun to see their faces when we wound say it’s all the rage down south.

Half and half Brighton/Palarse scarfs Tuesday anyone.

I want a half and half hat

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
To be honest the main points that amazed me yesterday was how many “home” fans were more excited than my two lads, and took more photos and I’d have thought the Theatre of Dreams would’ve been a cauldron of noise, I thought I’d picked the wrong ground and was at The Cricket Club

Reminded me of my 1st trip to OT, 1986, aged 10, with my mum and lil bro. Asking for directions to OT we did actually end up at the cricket ground. After 30 mins of trying to find the way in, and very disillusioned over the apparent smallness of it, we were quite grateful when someone pointed us in the direction of the gigantic football stadium down the road.......

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Loads of kids with half and half scarfs in TW Train back. They are a family over for the weekend from Singapore.

Fair enough.

I think the kids may become hooked on the Albion now from a far.

Played a great game today. Confused the hell out of a dozen half and half scarf sellers by asking if they had any half and half hats.

What fun to see their faces when we wound say it’s all the rage down south.

Half and half Brighton/Palarse scarfs Tuesday anyone.

That's a capital offence.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Saw loads on sale and loads being worn. Didn't see any in our end myself. Almost all of those that I saw were Chinese Man Utd fans of which there appeared to be hundreds if not thousands. Place has turned into a tourist attraction rather than a football club...

We were talking about this yesterday. Then with a complete lack of irony moved on to discussing the time we went to watch Barca at the Nou Camp a couple of years ago.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
8711399d4c11352734e8b691792ac25c--old-trafford-selfies copy.jpg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Reminded me of my 1st trip to OT, 1986, aged 10, with my mum and lil bro. Asking for directions to OT we did actually end up at the cricket ground. After 30 mins of trying to find the way in, and very disillusioned over the apparent smallness of it, we were quite grateful when someone pointed us in the direction of the gigantic football stadium down the road.......

Ha thats brilliant! Reminds me of when my mom and dad first came to Brighton. He called me up hours late and said I cant find where you live. Hold on theres some people here let me ask hold on. Shows 3 yardies the address on the back of an envelope. "Brighton this is f ucking Brixton are you taking the pis s?". Dad shut your windows and look for the A23 see you in a bit

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Got there fairly early and it was just an endless stream of selfies in front of the Best, Law, Charlton statue or posing in front of the ground. The megastore ( just a bit! ) was rammed at 11.30 and the half and half scarves were doing a roaring trade. I saw them being worn everywhere. Saw a number of adult Albion fans wearing them before the game and at a motorway services, on the way home. I would never buy one as it gives off the message of a ' one-off ' Yesterday proved to me that we will be visiting OT again next season and hopefully a few more times after that.
Also begs the question as to what the true hardcore figure is for those that do all home games at OT? Apparently they have 55,000 STH so that leaves about 15,000 ish for tourists, taking off 3000 for away fans. No wonder it feels like a tourist attraction. I would imagine there are some games where the number of tourists is even higher.They have a 20 year waiting list for a ST but can still sell matchday tkts all over the world and continue to build the fanbase. Clever.

But that is the whole point. Manchester united are a global brand and people all over the world want to see them and I suppose in the same way as people want to see their movie star heros, they are the same with united. Football is almost a distraction from wanting to make money and sell the brand. I suppose it its the same with Barcelona and Real Madrid.

I suppose that shows how far we have come that we can compete(albeit we lost) with the likes on manu on the pitch. We are light years away from doing so off it....but as are almost every club in the prem.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Excellent work! Hiney art an NSC institution. There are some great ones, I have previously told someone 'fixtures' in a meeting for realing the same old crap and got strange looks. I have also inadvertantly told someone they are gonna get Jamieed and regularly use the word binfest which I believe [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] coined. I had to also have meetings which were ridiculous with HR their system requirements were just a joke but we had to go along with. I was humming to myself "stand up if you hate HR" courtesy of Digweedstrousers whether it was audible or not I dont know they probably thoughtt I was just a bit weird if so.

Some of NSCs goldest

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Excellent work! Hiney art an NSC institution. There are some great ones, I have previously told someone 'fixtures' in a meeting for realing the same old crap and got strange looks. I have also inadvertantly told someone they are gonna get Jamieed and regularly use the word binfest which I believe [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] coined. I had to also have meetings which were ridiculous with HR their system requirements were just a joke but we had to go along with. I was humming to myself "stand up if you hate HR" courtesy of Digweedstrousers whether it was audible or not I dont know they probably thoughtt I was just a bit weird if so.

Some of NSCs goldest

Has the CJTC not made an appearances in any of your meetings?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My sons football team went on a stadium tour to Old Trafford last year. Those tours are a big money spinner in themselves, groups of 40 staggered every 15 minutes for an hour visit culminating in a trip to their club shop. I'd say 90% of the visitors are Asian.

It was quite an eye opener.

no just like any other industry they have had the T&M people in to design the most efficient work flow. its the new disney.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
that was my opinion too based on what i saw. I was quite near the MU fans on the left hand side and the ones that looked to me like obvious 'real' fans did not have them and did shout a bit of abuse at us..

Vast numbers not speaking English.......people (particularly Asian) leaving the store loaded down with bags of gear. Fair play to MU, they appear to have optimised a commercial model. Atmosphere was shit from the ‘home’ support as a result though.

Easy to see the seat allocations - to the left of us, everyone was sat down, watching us, taking pictures, filming the game and taking selfies. To the right of us, they were stood up, shouting and making w***** signs at us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here