Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber on talksport imminently

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think I read somewhere that his salary has been pretty much doubled to prevent being head hunted :p
What, so the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Spurs etc couldn't afford him? Obviously he could still go if another club wants him. I don't think it would be such a big deal though - there was a huge amount of work getting us from the League 1 Withdean team to where we are now, and if someone else had to come in they wouldn't have half as much work to do.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think that needs a thread of it's own. Happy you like him not all of us like his corporate bullsh1t

Yeah me too, I also hate how corporate Bloom's made us. With all that money he's pumped into the club, he should just hirer some AAT level 3 teenager to run the business. That'll make us closer to the average joe. We don't need experience to manage a multi million pound income.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Is that because he's a ****ing tw@?

Yes! After that interview he started a new topic talking absolute shite criticising Beckham for starting the new MLS franchise rather than getting a group of investors to buy an English club. Apparently Beckham has 'turned his back on English football'. As the excellent Bob Mills pointed out, it's not as easy as that over here and to be honest, it's up to Beckham what he does isn't it? It was just a nonsense topic.

Can't stand him. Barber was very good though!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes! After that interview he started a new topic talking absolute shite criticising Beckham for starting the new MLS franchise rather than getting a group of investors to buy an English club. Apparently Beckham has 'turned his back on English football'. As the excellent Bob Mills pointed out, it's not as easy as that over here and to be honest, it's up to Beckham what he does isn't it? It was just a nonsense topic.

Can't stand him.
Is that because he's a ****ing tw@?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Liverpool are reported to have looked at him last Summer, but they went for Peter Moore instead.

Typically I now can't find the link where this was mentioned.

Someone called Kieran Maguire wrote this about him in his Albion end of year accounts financial round up via http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

"One expense that will perhaps result in comment is the remuneration of chief executive Paul Barber, who joined the club over five years ago.
Barber’s pay more than doubled to over £1.2 million. Part of this was performance and bonus related, part of it was to prevent other clubs headhunting him. It was publicised in The Times that PB was on Liverpool’s radar when they were looking to replace Ian Ayre, their chief executive. Ayre’s package at Liverpool was…£1.2 million

We’ve had some dealings with PB here at the Price of Football, and our view is he’s worth every penny. There can be few chief executives of what is now a £140 million a year business who will reply to every email they receive, and engage in fan debate to the degree that Barber has done during his time at the club.

Ultimately if Tony Bloom thinks Paul Barber is worth the money then that’s more than good enough for us. We don’t always agree with the decisions made, but then I don’t always agree with decisions made by my wife either, and still manage to think she’s wonderful.
For some reason PB generates a hysterical reaction from the Mavis Reilly element of the fanbase, who use any excuse to give him stick. We find such behaviour bewildering."
http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
So you'd replace one corporate CEO with another corporate CEO? Why?

Indeed. It's like when we get a new England manager: the new one isn't any better, just a bit different. And sometimes (Steve McCaren) they're decidedly worse.

Like a lot of people I don't like the corporate, marketing spin, nor do I agree with every decision, but he is undoubtedly one of the main reasons we are in the Prem. And who would people swap him for? The winner of next year's Apprentice?

Besides TB trusts him and that's good enough for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did he speak about his beloved Spurs?

What point are you making, here?

Would it have mattered if he had? Does the fact that the CEO of our FOOTBALL club is an actual FOOTBALL FAN count against the bloke?

Would it be better if he knew only of numbers and corporations, and nothing of football? Or are you suggesting that Bloom should recruit solely from a tiny talent pool of die-hard Albion fans?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In a 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2)
A formation we generally don't play. The point was, who have we got as backup for Stephens and Propper? They both played alongside Gross in the 3-5-2, so he wasn't backup. We've only got Kayal, unless Gross is good at that role too.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What point are you making, here?

Would it have mattered if he had? Does the fact that the CEO of our FOOTBALL club is an actual FOOTBALL FAN count against the bloke?

Would it be better if he knew only of numbers and corporations, and nothing of football? Or are you suggesting that Bloom should recruit solely from a tiny talent pool of die-hard Albion fans?

Bloody hell, you having a bad day? Don't take things so literally. He's a Spurs fan; as you say, so what. I like Mr Barber. Wouldn't want anyone else in the job.

Kin ell.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I love that bit on transfer deadline day when Sky show Jim White entering the building. As if it's somehow significant. To anything.
Does my ****ing head in. Football's the greatest sport on earth, so I like to tune in and see the final transfers being completed. I have no ****ing interest in that self obsessed self publicist c*** pretending any of it is about him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bloody hell, you having a bad day? Don't take things so literally. He's a Spurs fan; as you say, so what. I like Mr Barber. Wouldn't want anyone else in the job.

Kin ell.

That's all good then.

Was an odd question for you to ask, in the context of this thread, if it were not intended as a dig :shrug:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This came up in the thread about another team, where some made the point that the management team were a massive reason for our success. I don't think anyone on the plant really 'likes' corporate stuff, but it's mental that some people seem to think it would be better to have a bunch of amateurs running the show.

Perhaps we could fire PB and get the Wealdstone Raider in? He's obviously passionate about the game! He'd be down on the touchline slagging off the opposition and calling out the fans and manager. THAT'S the sort of chap we need in charge. Not some highly paid professional bigwig!

Jesus.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here