Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigger gate than Leeds v Shef W today

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm guessing there has been some kind of mistake and they missed a digit off the attendance at the clash of the world's two biggest clubs.
Should have read 122,597 ???

Too right. THE Leeds United, and Massive Sheffield Wednesday? They probably had to lock the gates.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When you say "took" then that is a little misleading. The "had" 5000 at Reading but when you factor is 1. They are a Northern club and London / South East has seen many from the North move here and 2. Leeds were successful in the 1970's and created a national following during that period. As such, of that 5000 includes the fans who have only been to Leeds on a day trip but who are a part of sat the "Basingstoke Whites" or whatever.

But 'they' did take 5000 to the game, it's a statistical fact, and irrelevant where they came from, which makes it odd that for one of their local derbies the crowd seemed so low, surely people haven't migrated from the worlds most amazing place ever to live including the Milky Way.

Feb 14, 2010
But 'they' did take 5000 to the game, it's a statistical fact, and irrelevant where they came from, which makes it odd that for one of their local derbies the crowd seemed so low, surely people haven't migrated from the worlds most amazing place ever to live including the Milky Way.

LOL .. I know Yorkshire is the centre of the universe but they all seem to want o head to "that London place". I'm just saying that 5000 didnt travel from Leeds as they have national following from their days as a successful club. I expect they have hundreds or even a thousand or so "Berkshire/Reading Whites" alone. But goes to show that they and another "massive" club such as Shef W cannot muster up a larger crowd bigger than ours between them, especially as Sheffield is not that far from Leeds. What could this club achieve if e ever had a half decent top flight side?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
When you say "took" then that is a little misleading. The "had" 5000 at Reading but when you factor is 1. They are a Northern club and London / South East has seen many from the North move here and 2. Leeds were successful in the 1970's and created a national following during that period. As such, of that 5000 includes the fans who have only been to Leeds on a day trip but who are a part of sat the "Basingstoke Whites" or whatever.
Yes people keep forgetting about the many 1000's of Leeds fans in the south hence why the followings are very big nationwide.
The mad stad away end is 4200 and no doubt many were in the home ends as they got 15k yesterday.
We have nearly 21k St holders now and many who have not renewed won't pay the hideous match day prices unless we're doing well etc and certainly not this early part of the season.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It must have been the smallest announced attendance for a few years though. Probably since the first season at the Amex in fact.

A steward told me that the club estimate that "many hundreds" coming from the west by road didn't make it due to A27 closure...

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
OK. Some confusion here. Brighton understandably had a relatively low crowd of 22.5k.
The Yorkshire derby Sheff Wed and Leeds also had 22.5k which given the respective size of the clubs and fairly close proximity seems quite low, even with an early kick off. Most people I know can mange to get somewhere 20 miles away by mid day. Think of golfers and fishermen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A steward told me that the club estimate that "many hundreds" coming from the west by road didn't make it due to A27 closure...

Yes, but surely if they were STHs or had already bought their tickets, they would be counted in the attendance figures, wouldn't they?
Couldn't help noticing on the FL show (sorry, I couldn't resist another look!) the vast acres of empty seats at all the championship matches, not just our's. With spending going mad in this league now as well as in the PL, I wonder how long it will remain sustainable.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm guessing there has been some kind of mistake anhd they missed a digit off the attendance at the clash of the world's two biggest clubs.
Should have read 122,597 ???

Apparently there was so many fans they had to do a beam back at Wembley which also sold out!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This is obviously a cover up how can a clash of these footballing Giants not be a sell out or even lock out? It's dreadful for the authorities and media to lie to us in this fashion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here