pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
DJ Janice Long was the winner on the first ever episode of 3-2-1

[YT]F2QA4DTH1Vs[/YT]

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Courtesy of Richard Osman on Twitter. The 1922 Committee was formed in 1923.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
After we played at Highbury in 83, there was not a bigger crowd in the 20+ years afterwards before they shut the place (nb this is not a fact just a stat that i think MAY be a fact on gates I observed afterwards. Confirmation would be good! Anyone!?)

Arsenal v Manchester United, 20 February 1988 There was 54,151. Think official attendance for our semi final was given as 54,000.

May be others ?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Nope. That was Burnell and Hewish in '67. A defining characteristic of a pulsar signal is that it, err, pulses; the wow signal didn't, instead following a bell curve.

The wow signal remains unexplained.

I thought I read it turned out to be a microwave oven

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The third longest pallindrome in the english language is racecar

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you have seven queues for pie and beers at half time and have to choose one.... the one which looks favourite (and the one you join) will always contain people with massive orders and have the slowest person in the stadium serving them... And... if you dare to change lanes, the one you left will always speed up, leaving you looking at the bloke who was behind you in the first queue leaving with two pints and a smile whilst you're four from the fecking front of the one you left to join...

:annoyed:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought I read it turned out to be a microwave oven

There’s been loads of possible explanations, including US or USSR satellites, spy planes, hot air balloons, weather balloons, unusual atmospheric conditions, UFOs, and, yes, microwave ovens. Some options were posited by scientists, others by less scientific folk, and some by conspiracy theorists. So you probably have read that it was a microwave oven. However, the WOW signal had a frequency of 1420 MHz (plus one of two decimal place extensions), microwaves operate at around 2450 MHz, wildly different.

The frequency of Hydrogen, which is our best guess of what an alien intelligence would use if they were intent in letting the universe know that they were there? 1420 MHz. Whaddya know.

There’s still been no generally accepted explanation of the signal. It’s definitely the most likely candidate for an extraterrestrial alien transmission. How likely? Nobody knows.

Last edited:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Historically, Father Christmas was dressed in green. It was only thanks to a Coca-Cola marketing campaign that he was rebranded to wear the more familiar red that we now associate with him.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Historically, Father Christmas was dressed in green. It was only thanks to a Coca-Cola marketing campaign that he was rebranded to wear the more familiar red that we now associate with him.

A myth unfortunately. Santa has been portrayed almost exclusively in red and white since the early 19th century. Coca Cola did t start using Santa in their campaigns until 1933. His modern image, clothing, beard, rotund body etc was made popular by cartoonist Thomas Nast as early as 1837 and that was an amalgamation of existing portrayals . Sorrry!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Kevin O'Brien's maiden Test Match hundred in Ireland's inaugural Test Match against Pakistan in May was the first century scored by a batsman in a follow-on innings of a Test Match against Pakistan since Mike Gatting's 150* at The Oval in 1987.

If that doesn't blow your mind, nothing will.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here