Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley win over Leeds is huge.......

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive seen so many teams fall apart with big leads I am taking it one game at a time as we need about 10 more wins. I thinnk as well as momentum we need to avoid an injury/suspension crisis. But 11 points ahead with about 5 games left would start to look cool.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just a 16 point swing between us and Rotherham needed now before we can start the "They can't catch us" thread :thumbsup:

I'm hoping [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] is keeping a close eye on this as if memory serves me correctly it's his thread he starts most years and he must be the chap to start this seasons one please if I'm correct :)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it used to be Acker who did that thread, but now hardly posts on NSC.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not me. Unless it's my memory that's failing.

It's probably me Sir - u thought it was you who had a particularly soft spot for starting the thread and updating it - must be someone else :dunce:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many points do we need to become mathematically safe from relegation this season?
I think it's probable that we already are. I don't think it's mathematically possible for 21 other teams to get above 57 points. Any - or all - of the bottom three theoretically could, but in that case there would be other teams below the 57 points mark.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I think it's probable that we already are. I don't think it's mathematically possible for 21 other teams to get above 57 points. Any - or all - of the bottom three theoretically could, but in that case there would be other teams below the 57 points mark.

Gah! Too much maths involved for a Sunday afternoon to be completely sure but I'm having a safe from relegation party anyway :banana::O:clap::cheery:

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I started an "official cant catch us thread" 2010/2011 season don't know if their was one before that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Gah! Too much maths involved for a Sunday afternoon to be completely sure but I'm having a safe from relegation party anyway :banana::O:clap::cheery:

Gulp! Put that champagne on ice for a while!

The teams below us would need to share out a total of 497 points between them to all get to 58 points. With 229 matches left available for them to get those points, assuming there are no draws, that's 687 points up for grabs ............. now, if they get together and make sure they share them out appropriately, and we lose our remaining 20 matches - we are stuffed!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All this talk about others catching us, yet I still wonder how others looks at us. Are we now considered as a good team, going up. After over 40 years supporting us I still have a doubt about our ability to succeed. Completely irrational but perhaps I can't actually believe we are the real deal. This season and especially the way we won on Friday does make one believe it's our time to go up. May can't come quick enough!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All this talk about others catching us, yet I still wonder how others looks at us. Are we now considered as a good team, going up. After over 40 years supporting us I still have a doubt about our ability to succeed. Completely irrational but perhaps I can't actually believe we are the real deal. This season and especially the way we won on Friday does make one believe it's our time to go up. May can't come quick enough!
Look on any other messageboard of a rival team, and there will be plenty of posters saying Newcastle and us are 'gone' and that the playoffs are the only chance for them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Look on any other messageboard of a rival team, and there will be plenty of posters saying Newcastle and us are 'gone' and that the playoffs are the only chance for them.

I agree but after all these years it's the acknowledgement I find hard. Years past after a good win I would rush out on a Sunday (weekday) to buy the papers to read up on our achievements. These days it's different, it's instant via message boards, online paper reporting, sky and so on. Adulation flourished on a team appears "in the moment" these days where before it was built up over time. I'm just nervous it will go pear shaped again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Gulp! Put that champagne on ice for a while!

The teams below us would need to share out a total of 497 points between them to all get to 58 points. With 229 matches left available for them to get those points, assuming there are no draws, that's 687 points up for grabs ............. now, if they get together and make sure they share them out appropriately, and we lose our remaining 20 matches - we are stuffed!
Despair not, though - if we beat Cardiff and 'Udders, I believe that if we do this calculation again, we would be mathematically safe. I think ...................

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you're not able to enjoy this season and just want it to be over.

For me, it's all about the journey. I'm less fussed about next season, I am just relishing every performance like Friday's. I think we'll do it because, aside from the barcodes, I've not seen anyone else with the quality and consistency to catch us.

It's all about the glory.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here