Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC salaries...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In a weird kind of way, I think the BBC are happy with the 'gender pay gap' row as some kind of lesser of two evils. They have led the story on both the web site and radio stations with that angle. Maybe better than 'they're all grossly overpaid'?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I stopped Sky Sports a few years back, but when I have seen footage, I love the work of Neville, Carragher and Souness who all absolutely love the game, played at a high level and are cuttingly honest. Henry comes across as the quiet one who cannot get a word in with whoever he's teamed up with.

I think Carragher is a hypocrite. He's a professional Scouser when it comes to boycotting The Sun as doesn't want to lose face locally, but still happy to trouser a million plus a year from another part of the Murdoch empire.

Sourness is okay, Neville comes out with the occasional good point (I would say that though as I may be working for him soon) but there's a lot of Shearerlike blandness too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually it was the last Tory Government which made it a condition as part of the agreement to re-new the BBC's charter. Whilst the Labour leader has been recently talking about reducing the high salaries of some of the BBC's stars, the charter was agreed in the early months of last year. In this case, it was nothing to do with Corbyn.

The specific item of transparency on BBC pay received cross party support, with all Labour MP's on the culture voting for the motion:
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?edmnumber=37&session=2016-17
Which was then accepted and included in the final Charter by parliament.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Gary Barlow does the teas . For everyone.And onnfriday he takes his home made flapjacks round as well. Good bloke and a tough gig .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think Carragher is a hypocrite. He's a professional Scouser when it comes to boycotting The Sun as doesn't want to lose face locally, but still happy to trouser a million plus a year from another part of the Murdoch empire.

Sourness is okay, Neville comes out with the occasional good point (I would say that though as I may be working for him soon) but there's a lot of Shearerlike blandness too.

I like their school kid excitement as they fiddle around with their special effects highlighting why Arsenal or whoever conceded again. Sourness says less, but has a cutting bluntness, getting to the bare bones.

On BBC, I rate Martin Keown. He may not have the charisma of Henry or Ginola, but he alsO played to the highest level, is honest and unbiased, without being a snide or know it all.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You're not making any sense, I was expecting factual challenge but all you have shared is some of your feelings.

All the while the BBC continues to criminalise the poor for the purpose of feathering the beds for the likes of millionaires like Vanessa Feltz, Alan Yentob and Clare Balding I will look forward to its eventual and certain destruction.

After the revelations today the BBC should step away from making criminals of non payers and revert to civil action.

Anyone who disagrees with that is not a progressive, they are a f*cking Tory of the worst variety.

FACT
Oh dear. I refer you to my original post about you being wrong about everything. Probably shouldn't have engaged further. Because you're wrong, about everything.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lineker gets 1.75 mill to say " so Alan , good goal or bad defending "

Then for £400k Shearer talks us through what we can all see clearly on our screens .

Money well spent if you ask me :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Supported by Labour and Jezza will finish it by ending the BBC gravy train.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-bbc-salaries-cut-gary-lineker-chris-evans-slash-labour-win-a7849696.html
Who could argue with him?

"Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to slash the salaries of BBC stars such as Gary Lineker and Chris Evans, if Labour wins power."

Just short of five years for Lineker to keep banking £1.75m a year. I doubt he's crying into his salt and vinegar crisps tonight.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thierry Henry is on £4 million for the same degree of inanity on Sky.
A lot of cash for shrugging in a Gallic manner and stating the obvious for sure.

Still love him though and don't care about how much he's paid. The bloke is one of the greatest players I've ever seen so it's still cool to see him on tv, and whatever they decide to pay him, it doesn't affect me.

Just like people working for the BBC.

Why is anyone actually angry?*

*not you Cunning Fergus, just sane people, thanks

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have absolutely no problem with these celebrities being paid large or fairly large ongoing contracts.

The problem I have is that they assume that the public want the same voices every week and that you have to be famous or the public will not relate to it.

My examples being that '' Game Shows'' when I was young were all participated in by members of the public and part of the fun was that ordinary people could participate. Now what happens in things like ''Game Shows'' and ''Reality TV'' shows far too often contain so called ''Celebrities'' from other TV shows so wealth is not being distributed. It is the same people who are ''schlepped'' around all these different programmes on the BBC or ITV.

I am fed up seeing the same people. I want to see new people, I want to see ordinary people, I want to see different views, I want to see some of that money filter down to ''Joe Public'' or ''Charities'' - Pay these people or groups lesser fees for similar views.

I was happy when ''Game Shows'' had public members. I hate these so called ''Celebrity Specials'' - I guarantee you could put 50% of the people on this board or from any football forum around the country and make just as entertaining a Match of the Day as we currently have.

It's lazy TV. Spend the money on decent ''Researchers'' to go out and find ordinary people instead of waiting for Agents to solicit their washed up clients that we have seen already on 10 different TV shows telling us the same thing over and over again.

The worst was after the London Olympics. Now I am all for being ''Proud'' of their achievements but I don't want the same thing over and over again for Excessive un justifiable fees.

Apart from this rant I do believe that the BBC has some sterling things to be proud of especially it's overseas correspondents on news stories around the world.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If it is public money that is funding the salaries I have no problem in knowing how the money is spent.
Why is it ok to know how much a teacher, nurse or soldier earns but not a presenter on the BBC?

If as they say market forces insist on these prices let the 'stars' go and get that money, I have no problem with that at all.
We might then see some exciting up and coming talent given a chance.

The Match of the Day salaries are embarrassing. I am sure many an ex footballer could give top analyse and would love the opportunity

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The disgraceful one for me is Shearer. He does about 15 minutes of TV a week on a seriously outdated football show and he gets half a million for it, despite offering absolutely no analysis of note every time. Shocking.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
i bet the bbc haters are disappointed in how few ****s are given about the amounts people are paid but pleasantly surprised at the fuss it's stirred up about gender pay imbalance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here