Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freehold block of 2 Maisonette Insurance

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I live in a block of 2 Maisonettes and my neighbour and I bought the lease off the Council .
As we cannot get bog standard Buildings Insurance for each property , we have to insure the whole building as being the freeholder., has anyone else done this and could recommend an Insurer with a decent premium as you can't do a check on the moneysaving websites for this.
Many thanks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is the council the freeholder?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from my dealings in a shared freehold, the leaseholds will still be present you are just now joint owners of the freehold. you would either a) each insure separate property as a leaseholder, or b) insure the the whole building as a freeholder. you would want to do the latter as it will be cheaper and anything insurable in the building is likley to affect both properties.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Set up a management company to look after 'the building'. All freeholders own each shares in company. Get insurance in this companies name, to cover both properties.

Otherwise you'll need to essentially insure your own home as a leasehold,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think he clearly said that he and the other property have bought the lease - therefore his property & the other property have share of freehold

Leaseholding does not necessarily imply freeholding though.

As it happens I do have some experience of freehold insurance and I use a company called Oasis Property based in Worthing. I recommend them and they really helped me out when we had issues with the **** Mark Packwood .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here