Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was/is the best rock guitarist of all time ?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
All very subjective and depends on your musical taste. For virtuoso shredders I'd go for Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen. Admittedly a little indulgent for some. For rhythm guitar it would have to be James Hetfield from Metallica. That mid range crunch and steely downstroke has been the backbone of their success. As double acts it has to be Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson from Thin Lizzy and then Dave Murray & Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden. Perhaps never lauded as great individual players but part of incredible teams responsible for some great riffs and harmonies. As for all rounder it would have to be the late Gary Moore. He had it all in the 80s he had the metal chops and then later he became a blues player. Sadly missed :(

Suggested listening

Steve Vai - For The Love of God
Joe Satriani - Flying in Blue Dream
Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun
Smith/Murray ( Iron Maiden) The Trooper
Gorham / Robertson (Thin Lizzy) - The Cowboy Song
James Hetfield (Metallica) - Master of Puppets
Gary Moore - I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
https://youtu.be/99OKJaGSaYQ

Gentlemen.

I give you ...Messrs Felder and Wray.

Both at the absolute top of their game here.

I've not seen better...just because they don't miss a note of rattle one key.

Epic.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Not much love for Mark Knopfler on this thread?

???

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Agreed. When the edge and "fast Eddie" Clarke get nominated before him.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
https://youtu.be/vy1V5LHXWbg

The late, great Randy Rhoades.

Another Rock Martyr.

Edit: Das...you obviously like your Metal. Get your ears around a proper guitarist and leave your "Edge" on the way out.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
For me, there isn't a single greatest. But these are some of my favourites.

Joe Satriani/Steve Vai for their wanky, sweepy licks and dive bombs. Just great players.
Eddie Van Halen - Master of memorable riffs and solos.
Hendrix - Changed the world. Nobody had done that to a guitar before.
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Oooff... that tone
Santana - "That's Carlos Santana" - not many people can do that. Doesn't overplay. Just sings with his guitar.
Pete Townsend - Either beating the shit out of the poor thing or caressing it tenderly. Pioneered distortion/feedback
Tosin Abasi - As progressive/technical as you can get. 9 string guitars and weird timings. Blew me away.
Derek Trucks - Listen to this man play slide guitar. Sounds like a gospel singer. Unreal.
Tom Morello - Riffs to melt faces and effects to confuse Einstein. Search for him and Springsteen playing together. Wow.

Oh and ME of course.

I have to say this is an extraordinary work. I am blown over and thanks for bringing this to me never seen it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqutby-Dpq0

With you on that Uncle S.

....But how about this (probably should be on the "covers" thread).

No doubt a "Roxy" fan will be able to name the older guitarist, YouTube mentions Neil Hubbard? Perhaps there should be a "best saxophonist" thread as well :)

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
When Jimi Hendrix was asked at the Isle of Wight festival what it was like to be greatest guitarist in the world he replied" no idea..you'd better ask Rory Gallagher".

It is subjective ..but Zakk Wylde must be there or there abouts

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
When Jimi Hendrix was asked at the Isle of Wight festival what it was like to be greatest guitarist in the world he replied" no idea..you'd better ask Rory Gallagher".

And he would have said "Hendrix mate"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have to say this is an extraordinary work. I am blown over and thanks for bringing this to me never seen it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqutby-Dpq0

Like Spielberg is a God to you, so Neil Young is to me :smile: I’d recommend a few (yes it might take that long) listens to Live Rust if you enjoyed that. Young with Crazy Horse is something special imo. Lots of acoustic stuff as well as some great electric guitar along with excellent lyrics.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here