Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Ray Wilkins

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I saw Ray Wilkins with Shilton/Case/Lawrenson at the Theatre Royal in Brighton talking about all things football just a few days ago (19th March) and he looked in fine health. Totally shocked by this. It was an excellent evening with Wilkings telling many great stories about his time at Chelsea/AC Milan/England etc. RIP x

Your story does go to show,we don't know what's around the the corner! .....RIP Butch, way to young!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never, ever had a bad word to say about anyone, one of lifes true gents. I used to like playing "exceptional bingo" whenever I heard him on the TV or radio, it was a word that was never far from his lips. Just came across as a genuinely nice man. RIP.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd never seen that goal. I agree, not seen many better England goals than that. Gazza's 96 goal is the only one that springs to mind that you could compare.
I'd not seen it either. What a peach! It is similar to Gazza's goal which is the best England goal I've ever seen.

RIP Ray. Very sad news.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
A true gentleman of the game - unfortunately not too many around of his ilk these days.

Played for his country when it was the greatest honour to be capped by your nation.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I can't be beleive some posters are insinuating it is any less tragic because Ray had issues with alcohol. The bloke had a wife and kids for ****s sake.

I will miss hearing him on Talksport. I often had a chuckle to myself every time he repeated the line 'there's no two ways about it' again and again.

RIP

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
RIP.

I always enjoyed listening to his views and liked his polite manner. He was also the master of the "week in, week out" cliche.

I'll also never forget that goal against us at Wembley and that tussle with a fan in front of the North Stand.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Such sad news. Had really hoped he would pull through. One of the games good guys. That goal against Belgium was the first England one I'd seen at a genuine tournament (Home Nations didn't really count). Wonderful skill. RIP Ray.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Football is IMO the most important of unimportant things......But just occasionally the sport rises above that....!

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Ray - great footballer, decent analyst and also Tango Ad voiceover

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I really hoped he was going to pull through.

I loved his calm non-egotistical style.

61 was no age a long time ago, so in 2018 its terrible.

RIP

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
There's a wonderful story from Nigel Quashie doing the rounds on Twitter showing just what a decent person Ray Wilkins was. Maybe someone here who is halfway computer literate could stick it up?

Will always remember the brilliant goal against Belgium at Euro 1980 as well as him uncharacteristically getting sent off at the Mexico World Cup.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here