Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Give Menopausal women M badges on public transport.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
TV presenter Andrea McLean has said menopausal women should be offered "M" badges to wear on public transport, similar to badges for pregnant women.
Ms McLean, 48, who reached early menopause in her 30s, told the Daily Mail that fellow passengers should cut those suffering symptoms "some slack".
ITV's Loose Women anchor said menopause was "as natural as pregnancy" and that the badges would improve awareness.
She had a hysterectomy in 2016 after being diagnosed with endometriosis.
Ms McLean said she was still dealing with menopause symptoms a decade later, which can include hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety, reduced libido and difficulty sleeping.
The menopause is when a woman stops having periods and is no longer able to get pregnant naturally as oestrogen levels decline.

'Brain fog'
The presenter, who had her first hot flush at 37, said badges with "M" or "hot flush" could help, comparable to Transport for London's "Baby on Board!" and "Please offer me a seat" badges.
But whereas a pregnant woman may want a seat, she said someone experiencing a hot flush may want a window to be opened.
"If there was more knowledge out there I think male commuters would say, 'OK, it's fine, she's burning up like a furnace, let her open the window, cut her a bit of slack,'" she said.

Ms McLean, who has two children, recently spoke to the Sun about commuting to work with sweat "running down her back" and battling "brain fog" symptoms while presenting.
She added: "Women wear badges now on the train that say baby on board and people let them have a seat.
"Nobody bats an eyelid and says, 'Oh my God that's horrendous, she's got a baby in there - that's so gross.'"
Her comments follow a recent BBC survey which found that 70% of women did not tell their bosses they were experiencing menopause symptoms.

Ms McLean recently started a project aimed at changing stereotypes surrounding women in their 40s and 50s.
Her website, This is Fifty, said that perceptions of the menopause were "bang out of date".
It said: "Currently the menopause is [seen as] an obstacle, at this important life stage, rather than a rite of passage".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43429713

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
about two weeks too early?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the article read like an April fools.

not reflection on the condition, more the idea and writing.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Menstrual cycle badges so us poor hapless men know to be sympathetic to the grumpy cows.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Badges for hungover travellers next? ???

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I take it this pregnant women wearing badges thing is just in London, fortunately as I've never seen one.

The only use I can see for them is so that blokes can avoid the excruciating embarrassment of giving up your seat to a bird who isn't pregnant, just a biffer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Badges for hungover travellers next? ???
holmesdale fanatics 1.jpg
I think they already have their own symbol!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only use I can see for them is so that blokes can avoid the excruciating embarrassment of giving up your seat to a bird who isn't pregnant, just a biffer.

I've done that: the woman was really, really pissed off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TV presenter Andrea McLean has said menopausal women should be offered "M" badges to wear on public transport, similar to badges for pregnant women.
Ms McLean, 48, who reached early menopause in her 30s, told the Daily Mail that fellow passengers should cut those suffering symptoms "some slack".
ITV's Loose Women anchor
It's almost as if the beeb actively don't want people to read the story.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
ITV's Loose Women anchor said menopause was "as natural as pregnancy" and that the badges would improve awareness.
She had a hysterectomy in 2016 after being diagnosed with endometriosis.
Ms McLean said she was still dealing with menopause symptoms a decade later, which can include hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety, reduced libido and difficulty sleeping.
The menopause is when a woman stops having periods and is no longer able to get pregnant naturally as oestrogen levels decline.

'Brain fog'
The presenter, who had her first hot flush at 37, said badges with "M" or "hot flush" could help, comparable to Transport for London's "Baby on Board!" and "Please offer me a seat" badges.
But whereas a pregnant woman may want a seat, she said someone experiencing a hot flush may want a window to be opened.
"If there was more knowledge out there I think male commuters would say, 'OK, it's fine, she's burning up like a furnace, let her open the window, cut her a bit of slack,'" she said.

Ms McLean, who has two children, recently spoke to the Sun about commuting to work with sweat "running down her back" and battling "brain fog" symptoms while presenting.
She added: "Women wear badges now on the train that say baby on board and people let them have a seat.
"Nobody bats an eyelid and says, 'Oh my God that's horrendous, she's got a baby in there - that's so gross.'"
Her comments follow a recent BBC survey which found that 70% of women did not tell their bosses they were experiencing menopause symptoms.

Ms McLean recently started a project aimed at changing stereotypes surrounding women in their 40s and 50s.
Her website, This is Fifty, said that perceptions of the menopause were "bang out of date".
It said: "Currently the menopause is [seen as] an obstacle, at this important life stage, rather than a rite of passage".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43429713

wearing a stupid badge would give me a hot flush

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here