Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everybody calm down!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Garcia took over on 26th June so it wasn't like he took over a week before the season. Brendan Rogers had proved his quality at Swansea. The Spanish dullard has shown no reason to believe that he can improve!

This is something that bugs me too. How long can people keep using 'what happened in the summer' as an excuse for Oscar's awful football. Like you said, he had 6 weeks before the season started and 2 months of a transfer window to build something that resembled a team. Does it really matter to Oscar that Poyet left, that someone shat in the changing room? No, of course it doesn't but the tinted spec brigade will keep churning it out as a weak argument for Oscar's complete inability to field a team of players that can win games.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wise words sir. I am still not convinced by Oscar but let's look at what he has had to contend with:-

1) Loss of talismanic Player of the year for most of the season first through injury then being sold on January

2) from January loss of box to box midfielder with a habit of scoring crucial goals

3) sale in January of much vilified but crucial forward

4) due to adherence to FFP, failure to land suitable replacements the obvious one being Grabban.

5) loss through injury for most of the season of stylish and creative midfielder

6) Until yesterday loss through injury of club record signing striker.

Given all of the above many teams would have struggled and can you really blame Oscar, Jones, Burke or anyone for these issues?

The big blows really came in January and for me that's when the goals really dried up

1) Oscar never really had Bridcutt as an option, it's not like he was playing brilliantly then walked out on us.

2) Stephens is an ideal replacement for Crofts, hasn't had much game time for some reason :shrug:

3) Depends which side of the fence you sit re Barnes I guess.

4) Grabban was here, he wanted to sign and themoney was available, the club didn't make him feel wanted. Only offered Conway and short contract. FFP not an excuse.

5) Orlandi definitely a loss.

6) Regardless of his price tag, CMS really isn't the answer. Lovely bloke I'm sure but not a particularly capable footballer.

explymouthnige

explymouthnige
Jul 5, 2009
Upper Beeding
Barnsley is no place to judge! lost there last season and drew 0 0 the season before - its never a good game there. We were playing a team trying to stay in the division on a terrible pitch that made it hard to play decent football on, and don't get me going about the ref......

The manager is still a work in progress

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The merry prankster is right.

There is no excuse for not trying - and the OP has thus missed this point.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
1) Oscar never really had Bridcutt as an option, it's not like he was playing brilliantly then walked out on us.

2) Stephens is an ideal replacement for Crofts, hasn't had much game time for some reason :shrug:

3) Depends which side of the fence you sit re Barnes I guess.

4) Grabban was here, he wanted to sign and themoney was available, the club didn't make him feel wanted. Only offered Conway and short contract. FFP not an excuse.

5) Orlandi definitely a loss.

6) Regardless of his price tag, CMS really isn't the answer. Lovely bloke I'm sure but not a particularly capable footballer.

We can have differing opinions re- Barnes and Stephens (fwiw I like him but not sure he is a direct replacement for Crofts) but I am intrigued how you know the exact circumstances of the failed Grabban deal

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Ok, ive had a few vodkas, summed up some courage and am ready to take the inevitable flack but here goes...

I really am struggling to understand why so many fellow fans are so worked up either negatively or defensively.

Yes the football has not been as good this season, yes a lack of goals has been frustrating and yes everyone who pays their hard earned money has a right to express their frustration....however....

The extremely negative sentiment that is becoming more and more vocal is akin to a relegation fight or the reaction to Big Sam Allardyce style tactics.

For goodness sake, we are 8th. We have had a season similar to our first at the Amex which, although the squad is stronger on paper, is fair enough under a new manager who is the polar opposite of the previous incumbent in terms of approach and management style.

We have blooded several young players this season, whose early enthusiasm has given way to a lack of experience.

We have had lots of significant injuries.

We have some players who are not performing as well as last season.

We had a poor January transfer window but who amongst us really knows how much we were courted by Grabbans agent etc.

Im gutted that we seem to have missed our opportunity to get into the play offs, however, if im honest with myself under Gus I was screaming for...

A bit more of a direct approach as a plan b
Less negative substitutions
More opportunities for home grown talent
Less Ego
More respect for the fans and club

I for one think that Oscar has delivered on this front and the true test of the man will be next season.

I emplore you, my fellow albion fans, to wind the vitriol down a notch and take a dose of reality. Gus was a big character, who shaped the team in his image, this season was always going to be a transition and, given the other challenging circumstances, I think we have done ok....not great by any means, but not as bad as some seem to think...

that is all

goodnight

(in case anyone dismisses this as the thoughts of a JCL, dont go there, ive spent many many seasons supporting the albion and taking my blind brother to games both home and away)
Some good points there!

Gazza by the sea

Aug 20, 2013
Totally agree Scoobiewhite. Oscar can only play the hand he has been dealt. And his hand in large part this season has been entirely devoid of creative midfield talent - and our lack of guile has been our biggest shortcoming. Orlandi, injured most of the season. Ditto Buckley. Lopez has been given bags of game time but has had an entirely anonymous season - broken only by regularly failing to get free kicks and corners past the first defender. Agustien? - who knows. Clearly has creative talent but something else going on there entirely.

Judge Oscar next season, not this. With two thirds possession (which we regularly have) we've got twice as much time as the opposition to score. That HAS to be the right tactic.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
The merry prankster is right.

There is no excuse for not trying - and the OP has thus missed this point.

Surely the op makes the point rather than misses it?

I honestly do hear and understand everyone's frustrations but just feel that the strength of reaction is a bit over the top.

The margins in this division are pretty fine and I don't think we're too far off being a top side. Defensively we are sound, chances created are average and finishing is poor, however if we can get crofts back, add a playmaker and a proven finisher we should be there or thereabouts next season.

I'll be judging og through next season and will remain patient as we build towards the pl. I'm in no rush to go up too soon and spend a season as whipping boys.

Everyone else can, of course, opt to agree, disagree, vent, call for heads to roll etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Totally agree Scoobiewhite. Oscar can only play the hand he has been dealt. And his hand in large part this season has been entirely devoid of creative midfield talent - and our lack of guile has been our biggest shortcoming. Orlandi, injured most of the season. Ditto Buckley. Lopez has been given bags of game time but has had an entirely anonymous season - broken only by regularly failing to get free kicks and corners past the first defender. Agustien? - who knows. Clearly has creative talent but something else going on there entirely.

Judge Oscar next season, not this. With two thirds possession (which we regularly have) we've got twice as much time as the opposition to score. That HAS to be the right tactic.

Yep, Lopez has been a massive disappointment this season, I never expected him to suddenly become a pacey winger, but I do expect great set pieces from him. He has failed us on this time and time again. Against Middlesbrough we had three corners on the trot at the start of the game and he over hit all of them.

He is so bad at free kicks and corners it almost feels like he is sabotaging us when we have an advantage.

I feel sorry for Oscar with the tools and injury prones he has been given to work with, and I respect him for not going down the route of slamming the players post match, but he knows in his heart and head who cannot make the grade and who will not be here next season. He will be as disappointed, if not more, with the players as we are.

If Orlandi and Buckley were horses, they would have been shot last Christmas.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ok, ive had a few vodkas, summed up some courage and am ready to take the inevitable flack but here goes...

I really am struggling to understand why so many fellow fans are so worked up either negatively or defensively.

Yes the football has not been as good this season, yes a lack of goals has been frustrating and yes everyone who pays their hard earned money has a right to express their frustration....however....

The extremely negative sentiment that is becoming more and more vocal is akin to a relegation fight or the reaction to Big Sam Allardyce style tactics.

For goodness sake, we are 8th. We have had a season similar to our first at the Amex which, although the squad is stronger on paper, is fair enough under a new manager who is the polar opposite of the previous incumbent in terms of approach and management style.

We have blooded several young players this season, whose early enthusiasm has given way to a lack of experience.

We had a poor January transfer window but who amongst us really knows how much we were courted by Grabbans agent etc.

Im gutted that we seem to have missed our opportunity to get into the play offs, however, if im honest with myself under Gus I was screaming for...

Less Ego

I for one think that Oscar has delivered on this front and the true test of the man will be next season.

I emplore you, my fellow albion fans, to wind the vitriol down a notch and take a dose of reality. Gus was a big character, who shaped the team in his image, this season was always going to be a transition and, given the other challenging circumstances, I think we have done ok....not great by any means, but not as bad as some seem to think...

that is all

goodnight

(in case anyone dismisses this as the thoughts of a JCL, dont go there, ive spent many many seasons supporting the albion and taking my blind brother to games both home and away)

The only thing I disagree with is your choice of drink

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is something that bugs me too. How long can people keep using 'what happened in the summer' as an excuse for Oscar's awful football. Like you said, he had 6 weeks before the season started and 2 months of a transfer window to build something that resembled a team. Does it really matter to Oscar that Poyet left, that someone shat in the changing room? No, of course it doesn't but the tinted spec brigade will keep churning it out as a weak argument for Oscar's complete inability to field a team of players that can win games.

What happened over the summer is not the only excuse that is being trotted out. Far more relevant is the injury situation, and particularly injuries to those that play in the front six. This has been the case all through the season. Even with CMS finally coming back, we're yet again without Orlandi and Buckley, not to mention Crofts.
I do agree with the view that the game plan has been too dull for too long, but it didn't start off that way under Oscar -- we began by scoring goals early, as was the case with Maccabi Tel Aviv last season. This is not something we can accuse the team of doing of late, and I respect the view that people want to be entertained, although they do also want to win, and the key is to get that balance right. Getting that balance right becomes more difficult when your front six are unavailable for a variety of reasons, which is what's happened this season.
I also do agree that certain of Oscar's team selections have been negative: playing Lopez wide right hasn't worked, and playing Ince, Andrews and JFC is a central midfield devoid of creativity. But, beyond that, I think Oscar's doing as well as he can, and think he will attempt to play a more attacking game when he has the players available to do so.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Very much this. Time and time again in football, it has been shown that persevering with a manager pays dividends. It's such an obvious observation that it amazes me that fans STILL clamour for managers to be sacked after a short time in the job. OG may or may not turn out to be great but it's way way too early to decide.

Persevering with a manager .. maybe it also depends how much is spent on the team and in Leicester's case it was a fair sized chunk

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Less Ego

that is all

goodnight

Good post...something we have the habit of hitting...seriously,you are a calm head amongst us.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We were patient to wait 14 years for a new stadium, but won't give the manager one season.

We were patient to wait 14 years for a new stadium, but won't give the manager one season.

If everything is going backward on the pitch, yes. The write blank cheques for managers is just the other wrong side of a coin of firing a manager quickly. The possibility has to be factored in that some managerial appointments are mistakes.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I have said on other threads that we are getting ahead of ourselves. I think the passion overspills into frustration all too quickly. I really believe that we need to enjoy this period because history says that it is one of our best..the reality for me is that we are not far off the peak that we have any hope (not divine right) of achieving : mid table, lower table Premier League..another dozen or so league places above where we are now. When I think about the last few seasons, the teams that have been promoted to the premier league have often spent a number of seasons near or in the play-offs. We are in our 3rd season in the Championship, and have been pretty consistent compared to last year. The problem has been about scoring goals in the second half of the year...we had a similar problem in the 1st half of last year, hence why Ulloa was such a hero when he joined. The ambition of the Club is to get to the top flight not having risked the Club to get there..I will enjoy the ups and downs, frustration and elation on that journey...I just dont think we should worry that it doesn;t happen this year, or indeed next year...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great opening post. Nice to see something sensible on here amongst all the frustration and disappointment. I think it's only natural that people are frustrated with how our season has seemingly slipped away so quickly, but perspective is surely required to see the bigger picture. It has been a very bitty season and the distractions have come both on and off the field. It's clearly not our year, but if we can have a settled summer I expect better things next year.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Yes the football has not been as good this season, yes a lack of goals has been frustrating and yes everyone who pays their hard earned money has a right to express their frustration.

There ya go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here