Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do You Watch Old Football Matches

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yep, that features a lot. What's incredible is that the supporters in all 4 stands are immense, loudly passionate.

Various Leeds, Liverpool and Ipswich teams produced beautiful football. Very gifted players, allied with British tenacity and work rate. The envy of Europe, later copied.

Edit: Loved the TV and radio commentators too - Sinstadt, Peter Jones, etc. IMO far better than shouty Pearce and the current bunch of bores.

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Love watching old football matches, takes me back.
Playing subbuteo FA cup all day Saturday with mates listenening to final score then watching match of the day later that night as a treat.
Guaranteed muddy pitches and fog coming down about half time at Anfield.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love watching old football matches, takes me back.
Playing subbuteo FA cup all day Saturday with mates listenening to final score then watching match of the day later that night as a treat.
Guaranteed muddy pitches and fog coming down about half time at Anfield.

Radio 2 sports report on in my Dad's car, after watching yet another Albion Goldstone win under Peter Taylor or Alan Mullery.

Stopping at the final newsagent on route, to buy the Argus Night Final, to read John Vinnicombe's analysis.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Radio 2 sports report on in my Dad's car, after watching yet another Albion Goldstone win under Peter Taylor or Alan Mullery.

Stopping at the final newsagent on route, to buy the Argus Night Final, to read John Vinnicombe's analysis.
Back in the radio days, before Radio 1 and 2, etc., we never got a mention on Sports Report (with Eamon Andrews) on the Light Programme, apart from our result being read out. Then tuning in to BBC West of England (not easy from Polegate - very crackly, drifting in and out reception) to listen at about 6.15 to 'Sport in the West', which bizarrely (well, Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, etc. are in the W. of England - but Brighton?) included a brief report on the Brighton match (as well as a live darts match (on the radio!) while the programme was going on!)
With lardy cake for tea if the day turned out to be a real cracker!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back in the radio days, before Radio 1 and 2, etc., we never got a mention on Sports Report (with Eamon Andrews) in he Light Programme, apart from our result being read out. Then tuning in to BBC West of England (not easy from Polegate - very crackly, drifting in and out reception) to listen at about 6.15 to 'Sport in the West', which bizarrely (well, Plymoth, Exeter, Bristol, etc. are in the W. of England - but Brighton?) included a brief report on the Brighton match (as well as a live darts match (on the radio!) while the programme was going on!)
With lardy cake for tea if the day turned out to be a real cracker!

Did you ever go to a Bristol derby in the old days of Eastville?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

the good old argus

back then that was how you first found out the other scores

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Nostalgia:
An old guy loudly selling Argus's in Churchill Square by Imperial Arcade.
In winter, someone selling hot chestnuts at the top of Cranbourne Street.
Young folk meeting their dates at the Churchill Square wishing well.

I digress.

and football matches finishing at 20 to 5

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
and football matches finishing at 20 to 5

But wasn't Saturday evening bollox in those restrictive days of just the three channels? Lula Show, Petula Clark Show, Black & White Minstrels, Summertime Special, Mike Yarwood (was OK at the time), Jim'll Fix It, The Wheelers and Shunters Social Club.

As a kid, I was envious of my older brothers clubbing, pubbing and meeting the opposite sex, whilst I was trapped watching that dire light entertainment.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
But wasn't Saturday evening bollox in those restrictive days of just the three channels? Lula Show, Petula Clark Show, Black & White Minstrels, Summertime Special, Mike Yarwood (was OK at the time), Jim'll Fix It, The Wheelers and Shunters Social Club.

As a kid, I was envious of my older brothers clubbing, pubbing and meeting the opposite sex, whilst I was trapped watching that dire light entertainment.

Mike Yarwood was brilliant!

Maggie Thatcher ruined him :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Spot on. The only time I got on with the old man was sitting in the car on the drive, listening to the reports, after coming back from the game (which we watched in different stands because he was always on our players' backs and it did my head in, meeting up afterwards) . The young Lineker at Leicester in 78-9. Happy days.

I was at uni in London 76-79 but watched a fair bit of BHA on weekend home visits.

theboybilly

Thanks for finding that. I was in the crowd ( not supporting Palace of course) as a 14 year old and this is the first time I’ve seen the highlights of that match. 8 goals, Best, Law and Charlton - doesn’t come much better than that!

It looked there like most of the Selhurst crowd were supporting the opposition - not much has changed really :D

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spot on. The only time I got on with the old man was sitting in the car on the drive, listening to the reports, after coming back from the game (which we watched in different stands because he was always on our players' backs and it did my head in, meeting up afterwards) . The young Lineker at Leicester in 78-9. Happy days.

I was at uni in London 76-79 but watched a fair bit of BHA on weekend home visits.

I started in the Chicken Run with my Dad, but soon progressed to wandering round the Goldstone (no separately fences in the mid 70's), to the North Stand. I didn't have the overt stuff you mention with my Dad, but in hindsight he was aggressive to an extent, and didn't warm (quite angry and disliking) to any of us if we argued or clashed with him as kids do. That's another story.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I started in the Chicken Run with my Dad, but soon progressed to wandering round the Goldstone (no separately fences in the mid 70's), to the North Stand. I didn't have the overt stuff you mention with my Dad, but in hindsight he was aggressive to an extent, and didn't warm (quite angry and disliking) to any of us if we argued or clashed with him as kids do. That's another story.

The other story is we took a great deal of crap from unreconstructed old skool parents.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The other story is we took a great deal of crap from unreconstructed old skool parents.

A pattern, from chatting with others over time (from both 'middle class' and 'working class' backgrounds) was a lack of affection, no genuine interest in their kids, homework, achievements, and overly-aggressive reactions to 'naughtiness'. Very damaging to their future lives as adults.

Interestingly it can drive a will to succeed, as you're your own best friend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A pattern, from chatting with others over time (from both 'middle class' and 'working class' backgrounds) was a lack of affection, no genuine interest in their kids, homework, achievements, and overly-aggressive reactions to 'naughtiness'. Very damaging to their future lives as adults.

Interestingly it can drive a will to succeed, as you're your own best friend.

Not half. If I hadn't been motivated to get the **** out of that situation I'd probably have turned into PPF. The irony is I made life as pleasant as poss for my lad, and now he's faffing about like a 15 year old - at the age of 32. Anyway....n=1 is not an experiment. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not half. If I hadn't been motivated to get the **** out of that situation I'd probably have turned into PPF. The irony is I made life as pleasant as poss for my lad, and now he's faffing about like a 15 year old - at the age of 32. Anyway....n=1 is not an experiment. :shrug:

That modern outcome is common. I know a few people with offspring in that age group where life is passing them by, and Dr Tanya Byron has extensively written about this. We've gone the other way showering them with love, treating them like friends from a young age, no hard boundaries, leaving them with less resilience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here