Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cloud storage

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Does anyone use this service to back up there family videos ..photos..movies etc.

If so who and how do you find them...cost etc.

Thanks in advance

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I recommend LiveDrive as an automatic back-up for all the stuff on your computer. It does the job with no fuss and you know you won't lose anything - very useful when switching to a new machine. Costs are really low.

I use Drop Box for sharing large files with clients rather than as back-up.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
you know you won't lose anything

Unless the backup provider mucks up, goes bankrupt, gets hacked, etc. etc.

Cloud storage is still physically somewhere, run by humans, and all the rest. Use it by all means, but don't rely on it to the point where you have no plan B.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another vote for Dropbox. I use it for business, mainly. I wouldn't necessarily back up my main computer to it (pics, music etc), that would go to an external HD.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Those that use dropbox, is it worth paying for the extra space?

If you want to pay for extra space then go with Google Drive, which is massively cheaper. Can get a full Terrabyte of storage for peanuts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those that use dropbox, is it worth paying for the extra space?

Surely that only depends on how much you want to store.

There are some services which join up all the free space that you can get from various providers into one single and larger storage space. Check out something like http://www.cloudgoo.com for example.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the cloud is fluffy and full of hot air.

i like cloud facilities and what you can do, but there are many stories of people losing their data, their accounts locked or lost. recently a firm got hacked they had all their virtual machines and backups deleted. you have little control once in the cloud. re-backups, its a terrible idea unless you have another backup, especially if you have large amounts of data (how would you get back tens of gigs quickly?)

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Check the SLA on recovering your data very carefully to be sure you are happy with what is being promised by the provider. Also suggest you keep your own local copy on a suitable media format - but then again Paranoia is one of my major traits according to those who are watching me.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I pay an annual subscription of about £70 for 90GB with Sugarsync.

Very good service with a greater variety of functions than Dropbox and other competitors.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm a bit old school, have a 4Tb Network Drive with all my photos, music and videos on. Can access anywhere using relevant app (WD My Cloud in this instance) but backed up on a 4Tb Hard Drive.
Simples.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I paid £60 for an annual licence to use the full suite of Office 2013 products on up to 5 PCs or Macs plus mobile devices and it comes with 30GB of storage per user via OneDrive which is working very well at syncing files from laptop to the Cloud. There is an option to keep files on your PC as well as in the Cloud so you can also back up to an external hard drive. I'm a bit of a hostage to MS pricing in future years but for that number of licences it seems a good deal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I royally screwed up on the back-up front - I had stored photos and a load of other stuff on an external drive which then failed. Had to pay an absolute packet to get a data recovery firm to rescue the stuff. Talking to them, external HDD failures are very common - so please don't rely on one as your only source. Lesson learned, two copies of everything now.

The recovery firm used every trick in the book to push the price up as well - called me every to day to update on progress saying things like 'very difficult job', 'longer than planned', 'engineers worked all weekend' etc etc, and the final price they wanted was £10 less than the top end of the range they quoted. I said it was too expensive and told them to forget it, ended up with a 25% reduction (but it was still a bloody painful payout). Not a lot you can do once they have your drive.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I paid £60 for an annual licence to use the full suite of Office 2013 products on up to 5 PCs or Macs plus mobile devices and it comes with 30GB of storage per user via OneDrive which is working very well at syncing files from laptop to the Cloud. There is an option to keep files on your PC as well as in the Cloud so you can also back up to an external hard drive. I'm a bit of a hostage to MS pricing in future years but for that number of licences it seems a good deal.

Your OneDrive storage is going from what you currently receive up to a whopping 1TB! (No additional cost)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lets not forget that cloud providers will also be using mirroring [all files in 2 places] and will also be backing up too in case of disaster recovery.

On point I would make about drop box, be wary of what you are storing on it as the servers are US based - these means its in breach of UK data protection act - so fine for your own stuff but anything else, read the small print ...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I royally screwed up on the back-up front - I had stored photos and a load of other stuff on an external drive which then failed. Had to pay an absolute packet to get a data recovery firm to rescue the stuff. Talking to them, external HDD failures are very common - so please don't rely on one as your only source. Lesson learned, two copies of everything now.

Wise words (although 3 copies is better).

There are two types of people: those who have suffered a hard drive failure and those who haven't suffered a hard drive failure yet.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
[MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] and anyone else, Flickr (photo sharing website) offer 1TB storage for free.

Personally I'm using the 50GB Cloud Storage that comes with a BT Infinity 2 connection and also external storage (locally)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here