Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It seems to be limited to guys in the Americas - ie. whoever this corrupt guy they got to grass had contact with.

So won't affect Blatter directly it seems although the Swiss have announced they are also running a separate investigation which may be more interesting

They're looking back over 30-odd years of systematic corruption, and have already stated that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I very much doubt it will be isolated to the FIFA officials of CONCACAF.

Blatter is the original Teflon, but this has gone way beyond journalistic investigations and disgruntled football associations pointing the finger...this is the FBI. I can't see how they can whitewash their way out of this one like they did with the Garcia report. This looks like the beginning of the end to me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They're looking back over 30-odd years of systematic corruption, and have already stated that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I very much doubt it will be isolated to the FIFA officials of CONCACAF.

Blatter is the original Teflon, but this has gone way beyond journalistic investigations and disgruntled football associations pointing the finger...this is the FBI. I can't see how they can whitewash their way out of this one like they did with the Garcia report. This looks like the beginning of the end to me.

CONCACAF is their 'foot in the door' as their remit is only US based. The FBI's rationale here is that the corruption was organised and carried out on US soil. Now they're 'in' I'm sure they'll keep going.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I don't understand how the presidential election goes ahead let alone Blatter standing after being the heas of FIFA for all the time this has been going on. Can't even see how they can remain an organisation after this surely there will be a new governing body. Can the FA etc choose to leave FIFA?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I don't understand how the presidential election goes ahead let alone Blatter standing after being the heas of FIFA for all the time this has been going on. Can't even see how they can remain an organisation after this surely there will be a new governing body. Can the FA etc choose to leave FIFA?

I made a thread awhile back quoting something along the lines of...Germany saying UEFA will leave FIFA, while it probably won't happen, its a possibility

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't understand how the presidential election goes ahead let alone Blatter standing after being the heas of FIFA for all the time this has been going on. Can't even see how they can remain an organisation after this surely there will be a new governing body.
Are you new to this? If not stopped by the law, then FIFA can and will do whatever they want. The fact that it's unthinkable that the head could continue after what has happened on his watch is totally irrelevant, he's proved time and time again in the past that he'll continue regardless.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I made a thread awhile back quoting something along the lines of...Germany saying UEFA will leave FIFA, while it probably won't happen, its a possibility

The BBC is reporting former FA chairman, David Bernstein, is saying the same thing. I think the problem with that is that Platini is very much tied to the Blatter regime so there won't be much push from the top. I also think that some of the East European countries have benefited from Blatter in the past too

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Platini and Blatter were very close so UEFA shouldn't be regarded as whiter than white

Let's not forget, Platini voted for Qatar in 2022. Following this, his son received a plum job for a Qatari energy firm and they pumped shed loads of cash into PSG.

He is as bent as the rest of them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Radio 4's PM interviewed Panorama journalist Andrew Jennings this evening. He didn't pull any punches and was scathingly funny. Interview starts at about thirteen and half minutes, although the programme's earlier news coverage also allows for great schadenfreude:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05w3wfh

David Bernstein also appears later in the programme advocating for a withdrawal from Fifa.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The FBI's rationale here is that the corruption was organised and carried out on US soil. Now they're 'in' I'm sure they'll keep going.

As someone else has already pointed out, the bungs were made in US Dollars hence the USA was involved via the illegal use of it's Currency - not the smartest of moves in hindsight!

Wouldn't it be nice to see the whole rotten edifice collapsing in on itself in an orgy of backstabbing and grassing each other up?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's an interesting piece from Bloomberg questioning the validity of US's actions, saying that for racketeering to hold as a charge, the FBI is implicitly putting FIFA itself (ie the organisation not a few officials) on the same level as the Mafia - there will be a few people who will have little problem with that.

It also asks whether it's an attempt by the US to take over the jurisdiction of football - that's a completely different matter. I wonder if that question will resurface in the coming days

It's a piece that's worth reading

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Radio five programme at 8pm

Read Telegraph, best paper for anti FIFA corruption journalism, they've been following Blatter like Colon Walsh did Lance Armstrong in the Times. Great article by Maradona slating FIFA a few days ago. Timely!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Radio 4's PM interviewed Panorama journalist Andrew Jennings this evening. He didn't pull any punches and was scathingly funny. Interview starts at about thirteen and half minutes, although the programme's earlier news coverage also allows for great schadenfreude:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05w3wfh

David Bernstein also appears later in the programme advocating for a withdrawal from Fifa.

I've seen both the Panorama's he made and they were very good. That interview is equally good. If only those capable of dealing with the problem had listened to him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Let's not forget, Platini voted for Qatar in 2022. Following this, his son received a plum job for a Qatari energy firm and they pumped shed loads of cash into PSG.

He is as bent as the rest of them.

Quite. There is a bad odour around UEFA. Plus some serious questions regarding the Qatari relationship with PSG and the role of Sarkozy in gaining contracts for French companies within Qatar, while soliciting investment into PSG. Platini seems unhealthily close to the action and UEFA's latest position on FFP seems rather too convenient for those with a vested interest. PSG and Barcelona both have 'interesting' relationships with the Qataris.

So I hope the investigation into FIFA also prompts closer scrutiny of UEFA. However I fear this morning's events might just have spurred the shredders at UEFA into action. Still, if it makes a few grandees sleep less easily at night then so be it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Blatter is so slippery he will probably escape again ..... would be good to find some sort of corruption in the voting though

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Blatters statement!

"!This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee – which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing."

UNBELIEVABLE!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
UEFA have come out very strongly against FIFA today

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ue...s-corruption-deeply-rooted-at-fifa-2015-05-27

My gut feel is that Platini needs to be seen to be as separate from FIFA and with the Dutch, Germans and English all pushing for breaking ties with FIFA if Blatter is re-elected, the best bet for football is for Blatter to get re-elected and for several reasons:

1. It allows EUFA to legitimately pull away from FIFA and that cursed Qatari World Cup under the auspice of no confidence in the current regime. They could then extend associate membership of the Euro Finals to Australia and the US and with Europe out of the World Cup then those perennial money whores, Brazil will look to join too. And with Brazil out then Argentina will want some of that action too leaving FIFA with a very debased and depleted World Cup devoid of the big name countries and probably the sponsors. Even with Brazil and Argentina still in it, the World Cup will mean nothing without the Europeans.

2. The second reason I want Blatter re-elected is that he is a dead man walking and any Blatter supporting delegate with him at the helm is tainted by association. All those African, Central American and Asian countries he bought off will have as good as admitted their collusion and a new regime can demand new delegates and officials and with the help of the FBI insist on some sort of probity. It's the perfect opportunity for a coup d'etat of the entire organisation. I fully expect the new FIFA whenever it comes to be far more Europe and South America-centric.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Blatters statement!

"!This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation. We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us.

As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football.

While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take. In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year.

Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game. Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee – which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level. These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics.

We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing."

UNBELIEVABLE!

http://memecrunch.com/meme/5LDZ5/comical-ali/image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here