Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think their success does show just how poor our top flight has become. Can you imagine Leicester v Barcelona and how that would end up? It would be carnage, probably at least 4-0. We no longer have the true stars of the world game playing in England and, without Sir Alex and Jose, none of the elite managers.
Agreed.

It's showing in the results our teams are getting in Europe and it's allowed not only Leicester, but other second tier sides like Tottenham and West Ham, to have great seasons. Four or five years ago these teams would be at least 20 points off the top.
Four years ago Spurs were 7 points off the lead, 5 years ago it was 10, they've not always been that far behind. They're not really in the same category as West Ham.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
They've obviously done incredibly well and are quite exciting to watch, so I have no problem with them winning the league.

However, I think their success does show just how poor our top flight has become. Can you imagine Leicester v Barcelona and how that would end up? It would be carnage, probably at least 4-0. We no longer have the true stars of the world game playing in England and, without Sir Alex and Jose, none of the elite managers. It's showing in the results our teams are getting in Europe and it's allowed not only Leicester, but other second tier sides like Tottenham and West Ham, to have great seasons. Four or five years ago these teams would be at least 20 points off the top.

As for Leicester, I hope they keep it going but I can't believe nobody has been able to stop them yet. To me, they seem to play to a fairly basic strategy that involves hitting the ball over the top for Vardy to run onto and getting plenty of men forward in support. I would have thought simply defending deep against them to avoid your defence being turned and doubling up on Mahrez would be a successful tactic for plenty of teams, but I'm not a football manager and nobody really seems to have done it yet so maybe Leicester are more complex than I give them credit for.
I think your selling Leicester short.....I think there tactics are much more than hoof ball and deserve to be where they are

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What this season has shown is that Leicester massively underachieved under Pearson last season. A team that beat Manchester United 5-3 and then went 3 months before winning another league match. Given the way Leicester finished last season and how they have kicked on this season, you have to question how they ended up in deep trouble last season in the first place.

One thing fundamental difference is that Ranieri has played Jamie Vardy as a centre forward, whereas for much of last season, Pearson was deploying him out on the right, hence he has scored 19 goals this season where he only managed about 6 or 7 last season.

The signing of Robert Huth which Pearson made last January, however, shouldn't be understated. Leicester have become much more solid defensively since he's been in that team.
The reasons for Leicester's success this season are going to be analysed and scrutinised over and over again, but I suspect the truth is that it is the result of a perfect storm as far they are concerned:

Improved training methods with the Tinkerman now involved.
Some exceptionally shrewd signings.
Moving Vardy into the centre from his previous right side position.
Key aging players rolling back the years with some top class performances.
Steering clear of injuries to key players.
Increased TV money. Maybe tipping point has finally been reached where pretty much all clubs have enough money to put out a competitive team at any time, because Leicester (or even Palace and Bournemouth) can pay squad players so much that it is worth their while sitting on the bench 90% of the time than making the step down a division and being a success.

I'm sure Gary Lineker is looking forward to being guest of honour when either Leicester or Spurs play Barca next season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The reasons for Leicester's success this season are going to be analysed and scrutinised over and over again, but I suspect the truth is that it is the result of a perfect storm as far they are concerned:

Improved training methods with the Tinkerman now involved.
Some exceptionally shrewd signings.
Moving Vardy into the centre from his previous right side position.
Key aging players rolling back the years with some top class performances.
Increased TV money. Maybe tipping point has finally been reached where pretty much all clubs have enough money to put out a competitive team at any time, because Leicester (or even Palace and Bournemouth) can pay squad players so much that it is worth their while sitting on the bench 90% of the time than making the step down a division and being a success.

I'm sure Gary Lineker is looking forward to being guest of honour when either Leicester or Spurs play Barca next season.

Can I add:

Not many teams have given Leicester any respect all season. Their counter attack tactics have worked wonders as the majority of the clubs they've played have been after 3 points, not one. It will be interesting if any club plays Leicester for a draw.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm fairly sure Stoke set up fairly defensively a couple of weeks ago. They got smashed...

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
They've obviously done incredibly well and are quite exciting to watch, so I have no problem with them winning the league.

However, I think their success does show just how poor our top flight has become. Can you imagine Leicester v Barcelona and how that would end up? It would be carnage, probably at least 4-0. We no longer have the true stars of the world game playing in England and, without Sir Alex and Jose, none of the elite managers. It's showing in the results our teams are getting in Europe and it's allowed not only Leicester, but other second tier sides like Tottenham and West Ham, to have great seasons. Four or five years ago these teams would be at least 20 points off the top.

As for Leicester, I hope they keep it going but I can't believe nobody has been able to stop them yet. To me, they seem to play to a fairly basic strategy that involves hitting the ball over the top for Vardy to run onto and getting plenty of men forward in support. I would have thought simply defending deep against them to avoid your defence being turned and doubling up on Mahrez would be a successful tactic for plenty of teams, but I'm not a football manager and nobody really seems to have done it yet so maybe Leicester are more complex than I give them credit for.

You'll get some idea of how it might end up in about a fortnight, when Barca play Arsenal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another potentially HILARIOUS scenario could unfold if Chelsea suddenly find some form and by a miracle, win the Champions League.

That would mean just the top 3 would get into the CL next season. Possibly Leicester, Spurs & Arsenal
Would that mean that the Palace Ultras would have to cancel their European travel plans ? ???

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Haven't seen very much of Leicester this season so I'm basing my opinions on what I've read more than what I've watched, but it seems that they are prepared to let the other team have almost all the possession and then hit them quickly on the break.

Pretty much what BHA have done in the games against Huddersfield and Brentford. Those games were miles away from the tika-taka possession-based football we've tried to achieve for much of the Amex era (admittedly in varying forms, and with varying success). I can't remember away teams at the Amex having so much of the ball without winning.

Are clubs like Brighton now watching Leicester's style and trying to base their own game on it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[tweet]695991823345590272[/tweet]

Interesting that the two teams at opposite ends of that graph are currently first and second in the league, Leicester and Arsenal. Tippy tappy just being edged out by the long ball game (NB yes, I did state long ball there, not hoof ball - there is a world of difference!)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I've found this remarkable, particularly when you look at Vardy. During that run where he broke the consecutive goal scoring record he had his arm in a cast for a good period of it. He also had a groin injury that required surgery and, some how, only missed one game (maybe two). Even he's remarked at points that he had no idea how the physios got him fit enough to start a game, let alone play a key role in it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another potentially HILARIOUS scenario could unfold if Chelsea suddenly find some form and by a miracle, win the Champions League.

That would mean just the top 3 would get into the CL next season. Possibly Leicester, Spurs & Arsenal
It would be Leicester, Arsenal & Man City. Spurs always lose out at the last hurdle, as happened when Chelsea won their first CL.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jeremy Vine, a Chelsea fan is going to be discussing Leicester's remarkable season on his show today. I have no doubt he will be extremely patronising as you'd expect from a Chelsea fan :smile:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I would only find this hilarious if Leicester City weren't the team who finished 4th. Mind you on the other hand, if Man Utd find some form and sneak in to 4th place, I would laugh like a DRAIN.

Jeremy Vine, a Chelsea fan is going to be discussing Leicester's remarkable season on his show today. I have no doubt he will be extremely patronising as you'd expect from a Chelsea fan :smile:
Correct. My wife likes Vine, but I find him to be a smug patronising prick whenever he speaks.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The PL is boring.
The same 3 or 4 teams are always challenging.
We don't see any top English strikers.
If we were promoted, there would be no chance of challenging at the top.

And then 2015-16 happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here