Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Or that perhaps the OP doesn't know the posters he refers to personally MAYBE his view of them would be different?

Perhaps if he stopped banging on about the same subject, day in, day out, we'd (I'd) understand what point he is trying to make? Sadly he doesn't seem to do be able to do that, does he?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm not a lawyer. But whoever took the decision to downgrade the spec will have a squeaky bum right now. There will be an email trail too.
Absolutely and this is a rife everywhere with landlords/councils not dealing with seriously poor electrics and much more and not to mention 30/40 migrants stuck in 3 bedroom houses.This country has gone backwards and is becoming one of the many overpopulated sess pits where human lives are not as important as money because everything is about cutting the cost and feeding the shareholders etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely and this is a rife everywhere with landlords/councils not dealing with seriously poor electrics and much more and not to mention 30/40 migrants stuck in 3 bedroom houses.This country has gone backwards and is becoming one of the many overpopulated sess pits where human lives are not as important as money because everything is about cutting the cost and feeding the shareholders etc.

Do you not think it's an attitude that is rife in society and not just pointing the finger at companies or shareholders..I'm self employed and far from life threatening work ..but I come across so many times people wanting the job cheap as chips even if it means not doing the job properly

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

This and with net arrivals averaging over 800 per day things are only going to get worse . Only an intense housing building program centrally funded with priority given to the most needy can solve this crisis .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If this is true then there is legislation in place to stop over-crowding and multiple persons dwelling in a single house. One has to ask why councils and the government are not enforcing the law.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This and with net arrivals averaging over 800 per day things are only going to get worse . Only an intense housing building program centrally funded with priority given to the most needy can solve this crisis .

Absolutely this. But I don't see why we should concrete over what's left of our green spaces to house millions of migrants. The problem is there aren't enough jobs and too many people in this world. What jobs there are are becoming automated to drive the profit of shareholders and the increasing super rich. So it's inevitable tragedies will occur, we can't cope not can any other western economies so disasters that are common to third world countries will likely become more so here. We are a rich country, trouble is the wealth ain't in the hands of the many but the few and they won't be giving it up anytime soon to fund 'others'. Why should they? That's how we're genetically built.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Absolutely this. But I don't see why we should concrete over what's left of our green spaces to house millions of migrants. The problem is there aren't enough jobs and too many people in this world. What jobs there are are becoming automated to drive the profit of shareholders and the increasing super rich. So it's inevitable tragedies will occur, we can't cope not can any other western economies so disasters that are common to third world countries will likely become more so here. We are a rich country, trouble is the wealth ain't in the hands of the many but the few and they won't be giving it up anytime soon to fund 'others'. Why should they? That's how we're genetically built.

Do you ever get the feeling we are in the early stages of evolution? Still unable to control ourselves? Will people look back on us in thousands of years and see us as we see, for example, the Romans? An unintelligible bunch of murderers basically. It probably should have it's own thread but, we are still savages.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Who is the more needy though will always be a matter of opinion,for Me the serviceman or woman and their families should always ,ALWAYS get priority,for others it will be the Sudanese family that had just landed at Heathrow,only so much money to go around folks.
Tipping point is soon to be reached where more people are taking out of the pot than putting in.

Or there was cost-cutting. There was almost certainly cost-cutting. Politicians seem to turn a blind eye to cost-cutting. Let the low-level public servants deal with it. Austerity Is King.

So we outsource our call centres, cut our intelligence and emergency service head counts, pay a complete and utter shiester rail company up front to provide no service at all, treat the most vulnerable members of society like they were some kind of hindrance to the bright-eyed gung-ho go-getters in this brave new world. Let them eat shit.

It's garbage. We're one of the richest nations on earth.

This from last night's Evening Standard. Yet to be proven obviously, but by far the likeliest cause.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...tower-would-have-cost-just-5000-a3566476.html

Anger is growing over claims a series of safety failings led to the Grenfell Tower disaster after it emerged contractors could have spent just £5,000 more on fire-resistant cladding.

A “Justice for Grenfell” rally is set to take place in Westminster on Friday evening, while numerous distraught residents have demanded answers from politicians over the blaze that killed at least 17 people on Wednesday.

It comes amid claims contractors used the cheapest aluminium coated panels, which are reportedly outlawed in the United States over safety fears, as part of an £10m regeneration of the tower block last year.

The panels, known as Reynobond, were allegedly the only ones available to contractors that were not fire-resistant.

Reynobond sells fire-resistant panels for £24 per square metre, a £2 increase on the standard version.

A salesman for the US-based company has since told The Times that the version used on Grenfell, referred to as PE, was banned in American buildings taller than 40ft over fire safety reasons.

He said: “It's because of the fire and smoke spread. The FR (variant) is fire-resistant. The PE is just plastic.”

Tom, there is nothing in your post that refutes my post.

As I said, the materials were either not to spec (cost cutting) or the spec was wrong (negligence)

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Who is the more needy though will always be a matter of opinion,for Me the serviceman or woman and their families should always ,ALWAYS get priority,for others it will be the Sudanese family that had just landed at Heathrow,only so much money to go around folks.
Tipping point is soon to be reached where more people are taking out of the pot than putting in.

These peeps would probably have arrived with nothing but the cloths that they are wearing and should certainly be prioritized .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-40313310

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If this is true then there is legislation in place to stop over-crowding and multiple persons dwelling in a single house. One has to ask why councils and the government are not enforcing the law.
Really? Council finds a three bed-room house with 30 or 40 people living in it, and close it down. Then they have to find accommodation for 30 or 40 people they didn't have to find homes for before - and B&B ain't cheap these days either!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fair play to PM finally admitting what everyone knew and was afraid to say. Response on the ground afterwards was shit. Not talking about the fire fighters by the way.

“The response of the emergency services, NHS and the community has been heroic. But, frankly, the support on the ground for families who needed help or basic information in the initial hours after this appalling disaster was not good enough.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fair play to PM finally admitting what everyone knew and was afraid to say. Response on the ground afterwards was shit. Not talking about the fire fighters by the way.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

The Govt., although I have no sway one way or another, are on the back foot. They HAVE to say what WE want to hear, they have no choice. Do they care any more? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here