Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do 1901ers get too many "loyalty" points?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If the scheme is a loyalty scheme which favours those who put money into the club surely those who have held season tickets for 20/30 years should also get a look in?!!

They did. STH at Withdean started at the AMEX with an extra 250 LP. By now, those extra points are worth 4 LP. But over the course of the last 6 seasons they've had more points than new STH.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why not separate home loyalty and away loyalty and run an independant away loyalty scheme

Because very obviously its financial support of OUR club that is central to the whole idea.

Why not separate home loyalty and away loyalty and run an independant away loyalty scheme based on ground distance from the Amex.

So in rough numbers, you'd get 60ish points for a London away but for a Tyne & Wear away circa 400 points - midlands maybe ~200 points.

Because that would be daft. For example your proposed scheme would annoint an Albion fan who lives in Sheffield more 'loyal' for 'travelling' to Wednesday, Leeds, Huddersfield and Barnsley (a total of about 600 yards) than a Brighton-based fan who'd travelled to Wolves, Birmingham, Derby and Burton.

Doesn't work.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If I read this situation right, and the goalposts don't move, then those (1901 or not) having spent a lot of time on the road doing the majority of aways and building up a solid bank of points over the past seasons will be fine on the (assumed slightly increased points threshold) first tranch level of tickets next season.

Yes, I think that's right. However, I think the (partly) justified angst is that there will now be a load of 1901 JCL-awayers who will both continue to qualify and, critically, possibly be more likely to go to the big away games. Given that the max allocation at away games is 3k (unless the away club decides to give more), and there being 3k 1901ers, the fear is that some JCL-away 1901ers who haven't been away this season will qualify for the first (or maybe second?) tranche of tickets along with those people who hold a standard ST, but have been to many away games...

The supply is fixed (3k max), but the demand from qualified people will go up... that's the fear.

As others have said... I know plenty of 1901ers who have been to many away games for the last several seasons - they will obviously continue to qualify and presumably go. There are many others who, for various reasons, haven't been away and have no intention of starting next season. The imponderable is how many haven't been away so far, but will start going next season. Opinions vary as to how large this last contingent is - personally, I'd be surprised if it's more than 10% of the total - so 300... but that's a guess.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, I think that's right. However, I think the (partly) justified angst is that there will now be a load of 1901 JCL-awayers who will both continue to qualify and, critically, possibly be more likely to go to the big away games. Given that the max allocation at away games is 3k (unless the away club decides to give more), and there being 3k 1901ers, the fear is that some JCL-away 1901ers who haven't been away this season will qualify for the first (or maybe second?) tranche of tickets along with those people who hold a standard ST, but have been to many away games...

The supply is fixed (3k max), but the demand from qualified people will go up... that's the fear.

As others have said... I know plenty of 1901ers who have been to many away games for the last several seasons - they will obviously continue to qualify and presumably go. There are many others who, for various reasons, haven't been away and have no intention of starting next season. The imponderable is how many haven't been away so far, but will start going next season. Opinions vary as to how large this last contingent is - personally, I'd be surprised if it's more than 10% of the total - so 300... but that's a guess.

Agree with you, and I don't have an issue with how the points are allocated, no system is perfect.

The benefits of being a 1901'er appear to be skewed, if I understand the system correctly, at the start of the season, where their 'bonus' loyalty points given for being a 1901'er carry greater weight than later in the season, when a regular STH who does go home and away would have accrued enough points to neutralise the 'bonus'.

The 'bonus' points are being given for showing financial commitment, which, given TB will have put in £300 million of his own money by the time we play our first match in the PL, is hardly a reason to grumble about from a non 1901'er.

If I spoke to some of my mates at work who are STH at Anfield & Goodison, they would be very envious at 'poor old me' who potentially might only see 8-10 away games next season, as the cartel that operates for away tickets at the big clubs means they never get to see their team play away*.

* Unless it is ******* ***** squeaky clean player of **********, who is well known to have a shagging pad in central *********** , where he brings ladeez away from the prying eyes of his missus.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Because very obviously its financial support of OUR club that is central to the whole idea.

Because that would be daft. For example your proposed scheme would annoint an Albion fan who lives in Sheffield more 'loyal' for 'travelling' to Wednesday, Leeds, Huddersfield and Barnsley (a total of about 600 yards) than a Brighton-based fan who'd travelled to Wolves, Birmingham, Derby and Burton.

Doesn't work.

And works even less where in the Prem where a lot of the "glamorous" games are the furthest away, with some of the crappest grounds nearby.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agree with you, and I don't have an issue with how the points are allocated, no system is perfect.

The benefits of being a 1901'er appear to be skewed, if I understand the system correctly, at the start of the season, where their 'bonus' loyalty points given for being a 1901'er carry greater weight than later in the season, when a regular STH who does go home and away would have accrued enough points to neutralise the 'bonus'.

The 'bonus' points are being given for showing financial commitment, which, given TB will have put in £300 million of his own money by the time we play our first match in the PL, is hardly a reason to grumble about from a non 1901'er.

If I spoke to some of my mates at work who are STH at Anfield & Goodison, they would be very envious at 'poor old me' who potentially might only see 8-10 away games next season, as the cartel that operates for away tickets at the big clubs means they never get to see their team play away*.

* Unless it is ******* ***** squeaky clean player of **********, who is well known to have a shagging pad in central *********** , where he brings ladeez away from the prying eyes of his missus.

Can you explain what is meant by a cartel in this instance EP?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Because most clubs operate some form of points based system, the regulars from when the system was initially set up always get first refusal on tickets, as they have the most points. By buying away tickets (which is not the same as attending the match) this initial advantage is reinforced over a period of time so it makes it nigh on impossible for a regular STH at OT. Stamford Bridge or Anfield to break into the system as they will never have enough points to reach the purchase threshold...unless they know someone who is on the other side of the divide.

In addition there are STH at places such as (chooses random ground) Anfield who have been dead many years, but as there is a 15,000 waiting list their families renew on their behalf to ensure they get to home games.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

As I mentioned in another thread the other day, to purchase an away ticket for Man United you have to have had a season ticket, been to every home cup game and applied for a ticket to every away match since 2001.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Wonder if a shadow LP programme can be introduced next season for away matches - selfie in the ground sitting amongst home supporters worth 5 points with bonuses available depending how much over face value has been paid to ticket touts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As I mentioned in another thread the other day, to purchase an away ticket for Man United you have to have had a season ticket, been to every home cup game and applied for a ticket to every away match since 2001.

Holy crap. I missed that post from you. Now that truly is a closed shop and, as you say, a cartel.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

And that's why there will be more touts in Brighton on the day of that fixture than any other.

theboybilly

Spoken as a STH who goes to a few away games (furthest Wigan in October). Like I said, LP works well but would like it to atleast give the wider support base some hope of getting Premier League away live action.

The wider support base that won't go to Barnsley on a cold March Saturday afternoon but will want a ticket at the Emirates or Stamford Bridge? A ballot is a no-no for me, sorry

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we are talking about loyalty, at £12 per ticket:
H Colchester att 6895
H Reading att 6235
H MK Dons att 11091

I'm assuming 1901ers would be included in these attendance figures?

20 loyalty points per fixture right. That would have been 30 points taken into next season right there for £36. How many going to regret not getting to those 3?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I think few people would complain about those circumstances.

The use of 'loyalty' points is an emotive one, and perhaps the club should change the wording of the scheme. A wealthy fan who can afford to put down a five year commitment to a 1901 isn't necessarily more loyal than a single parent who goes to the Albion as often as they can fit it around their work, parental and other commitments, they are just more wealthy.

There are ********s who attend a few matches home and away, and there are ********s who are members of 1901, as well as many good folk in both categories too.

If I don't get a ticket for the away end at some of the high profile matches I'll be disappointed, but at the same time I don't think I have any right to be ahead in the queue of many others. There will always be winners and losers in terms of ticket allocation, but there's no need to be a whiner. (I'm not putting you in that category BTW).

I agree with you entirely and the club should perhaps look at this, the wording of the scheme is not the best. I think the problem is not how many points the 1901 club member gets but how as the OP suggested
a season ticket holder who has been to 10 away games each and every season is penalised and placed below a 1901 member.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is like asking "do people who buy creme egg Easter eggs at Easter get too many creme eggs in their Easter egg?".

The answer really shouldn't take too much brain power to work out.

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
These last 20 pages have been a really good read with loads of different opinions/concerns about next season.

I guess with any form of loyalty or reward scheme it is impossible to please everybody so the club just have to make a decision to do what they think is best, but I was talking with a mate at work about the problems I'll have next season getting away tickets (I can normally only get to about 6 a season due to family commitments) and he asked how many LP I have to 'spend' when getting tickets - obviously none are deducted when purchasing but could that work to stop it becoming impossible for fans with lower LP being able to build up their points?

Not the easiest thing to arrange with admin etc. I guess, but would make me think more carefully about which games I would want to go to if the higher profile games took up more points than the less favourable ones.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we are talking about loyalty, at £12 per ticket:
H Colchester att 6895
H Reading att 6235
H MK Dons att 11091

I'm assuming 1901ers would be included in these attendance figures?

20 loyalty points per fixture right. That would have been 30 points taken into next season right there for £36. How many going to regret not getting to those 3?

I've got a feeling that those cup games were only worth 10 points? Could well be wrong though???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here