Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Back again Bold.

Impressive delivery service! - Free delivery, ordered late Wednesday evening and arrived today.

I'm just as excited as the kids! We always had secondhand bikes as kids, I've always had second hand as an adult and so have our kids, barring a cheap tesco one once when one of them was small.

I'll report back once set up and she's been out on it.

I tell you what, after getting it I was checking around for a 57cm for me as a winter hack - that is some new bike for £150.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had the worst experience EVER this afternoon.
We towed a fella from Portsmouth for 15 wind assisted miles.

As if that wasn't bad enough he was wearing a yellow jersey.
A Credit Lyonnais (sp) yellow jersey.

That's not even the worst bit:-

It was a Discovery Channel, Credit Lyonnais, Yellow jersey.

I buried myself trying to drop him, but I just couldn't do it with such a strong tailwind.
#****.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I went up a hill this morning I'd previously bottled. Couldn't have done it without granny gear. 244/509 and 392/841 for the two segments ain't too shabby either. A bit shocked it has no category because it is a real slog.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
We had the worst experience EVER this afternoon.
We towed a fella from Portsmouth for 15 wind assisted miles.

As if that wasn't bad enough he was wearing a yellow jersey.
A Credit Lyonnais (sp) yellow jersey.

That's not even the worst bit:-

It was a Discovery Channel, Credit Lyonnais, Yellow jersey.

I buried myself trying to drop him, but I just couldn't do it with such a strong tailwind.
#****.
Stat, this is truly awful. Condolences.

That may well be the worst possible jersey ever!

As an overall ensemble, the 20 stone fella in full Cav sky world champion kit on a record Eps bianchi was my favourite!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I tell you what, after getting it I was checking around for a 57cm for me as a winter hack - that is some new bike for £150.

You are not wrong! I'm blown away by what you get for £150 here!

Got the handlebars on, put on her toeclip pedals from the other bike (youngest will use these new pedals on the Jnr Triban) and got the new bike up on the stand for some gear change lessons and checking. Gears were set up a treat straight out of the box! Every single one shifting smoothly without missing a beat. Daughter seemed to pick up the gist of things pretty quickly too, which was good seeing as she's coming off a single ring 7 speed on the Triban Jnr.

She had a few rides up and down the pavement to check for reach on brakes and gear changes. All good, feeling confident and so off we went for a little spin round the block and to try out some hills. Bike is surprisingly light for the price! Up Whitefriars Rd and she still had a good few gears left at the top, and barely got out the saddle. So off we go down Croft Road just so we can loop the old town and ride up it again. She's only conquered Croft Road once on the old 7 speed without having to stop so we were very keen to see how much difference the extra gears, and lighter bike would make. It was like night and day!, and I feel a bit like ringing social services now for taking her up there numerous times before on her 7 speed. She pretty much flew up it this evening!, mostly in the middle ring, only changing down to the granny ring when hitting the near 16% section. She even attacked near the top of the hill and arrived before me with two gears left unused. The smile on her face was absolutely priceless!

Thanks for the heads up. Your post jogged me into just going for it at that price and I think that's possibly the best investment we've ever made! Opens up so much more riding to her now and we don't have to resign ourselves to walking up parts of the final leg home anymore. For £150 I can't believe there's a better brand new bike out there.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
She pretty much flew up it this evening!, mostly in the middle ring, only changing down to the granny ring when hitting the near 16% section. She even attacked near the top of the hill and arrived before me with two gears left unused. The smile on her face was absolutely priceless!

I'll bet. I was hanging out my harris in granny gear at only 8% yesterday. She's gonna get bored waiting for you to catch up pretty soon.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
well, spoken to son about the Triban but he has no interest. Would much rather a new mountain bike... oh well.

Been in London with the family today doing the FreeCycle. What a brilliant event this is - so much going on and all free! Doing the RideLondon 46 tomorrow. Anyone else riding?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tough call for me.

I don't know whether to be Team G or Team Stan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow geeks, some serious millage being put in today!
I for one am a little tiredy-poohs.
Having drunk just about every soft drink available will be attempting to get upstairs to bed, soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow geeks, some serious millage being put in today!
Sorry for spying on you TO, but according to Strava you don't YET have a century to your name.

Shirley if you're popping out for 82.6 miles that rite of passage isn't too far away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I missed that thread as it was just before I moved from lurking on NSC to actually registering!

I'd have out a ton on him
The volcano erupting and stranding riders all over Europe. while Garmin had a full team and first time leader, made his 150/1 quite ridiculous.
Granted Gilbert has probably not had a easier win, but Ryder battling for a place was to be expected.

Sorry for spying on you TO, but according to Strava you don't YET have a century to your name.

Shirley if you're popping out for 82.6 miles that rite of passage isn't too far away.

Ah, morning Stat, funny you should notice that! After the ride yesterday I felt I could have pushed on. Having said that I am off to play in the Surrey hills at the weekend to do just that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, morning Stat, funny you should notice that! After the ride yesterday I felt I could have pushed on. Having said that I am off to play in the Surrey hills at the weekend to do just that!

Great stuff, so what you're saying is [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] held you back yesterday. :lol:

Don't forget to eat and drink throughout the ride, little and often.
The more tired you get the easier it is to forget the basics and then kerblammo.

After 83 you'll be frantically updating the Sunday leader board praying Glanders doesn't pop out for a 350 mile jaunt.

Are you off to Box Hill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here