Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Rowett sacked / Nathan Jones **NOW CONFIRMED AS REPLACEMENT**

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did very well at Burton
Did very well at Birmingham and stupidly sacked.
One season at Derby where they finished in the playoffs
Sacked after 8 months

I wouldn't say he's 'proved' he is rubbish.

Actually that is fair comment. But given his record at Derby and Stoke I'd have to say he doesn't look like an appointment for a club with a realistic hope of promotion from the Championship. He might do a job at, say, Ipswich or a league one club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is a great job and I expect the chairman will receive a shedload of applications.

1. They've lost the same amount of games as Top 6 sides Sheff Utd and Derby.

2. They've conceded only 31 goals so less than three sides in the Top 6.

The likes of Moyes or Allardyce will have the stature to guide an experienced squad towards the play-offs provided they can bring in a decent striker or two in the January window. They have the money to pay the wages for a decent Prem striker on loan as well. Their season is not over.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was a strange appointment, Stoke clearly were going all in for promotion at the first time of asking, so why appoint a manager who has never got a promotion in his career? He's made it to three play-offs and lost them all. Say what you like about Pardew or Allardyce but they've done that before.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It was a strange appointment, Stoke clearly were going all in for promotion at the first time of asking, so why appoint a manager who has never got a promotion in his career? He's made it to three play-offs and lost them all. Say what you like about Pardew or Allardyce but they've done that before.
I'll say what I like about Pardew. He's a ****.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Had the “pleasure” of seeing them twice in the run upto Christmas. I am really not surprised, the build up play was soooooo slow! Such quality in ten squad for the championship but his tactics and his arguments with the fans have brought the inevitable

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Did very well at Burton
Sacked after 8 months

Common sense at last

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pathetic sacking. Stoke were in decline. They were very shit last year. Sometimes it takes a full season just to stop the rot. Rowett is a decent manager.

This. Gutless weaselly ownership decision.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had the “pleasure” of seeing them twice in the run upto Christmas. I am really not surprised, the build up play was soooooo slow! Such quality in ten squad for the championship but his tactics and his arguments with the fans have brought the inevitable

You have presumably missed half our games under Hughton, then ???....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hope Nathan Jones gets the job , really liked his passion he showed when he was in charge for a couple of games

He hasn't done too badly in his subsequent actual job, either. Best he stay put a bit longer for his own good. Later he can do a glass ceiling session with the press (© Gussy Poshette) then flounce off to an underperforming North Eastern club. Middlesborough springs to mind.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Did very well at Burton
Sacked after 8 months

Applies for other jobs while he is in a job. If not ''rubbish'' - certainly disloyal or unreliable

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
a few comments about Rowett o on here a bit harsh to me

He instilled discipline, organisation and belief into Burton before Hasselbaink and Clough harnessed this to go straight through to the Championship from League Two

Then he was as most fair minded Villa fans I know say "the best manager Blues had in years" before they took leave of their senses and sacked him

Did ok at Derby under what can at best be described an impatient owner at times

Took Bruce a good year to get Villa out of downward spiral after relegation - same as it was taking Rowett at Stoke

Any justice Stoke will end up in League One with "too good for Mick McCarthy" Ipswich

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I oft wonder how long it takes for the mere mention of a name to cause a titter in a boardroom...

“This is a crisis, a large crisis... any ideas who to bring in?”

“Errrrr Paul (clipboard and whistle) Clement...?!?”

(Dramatic pause)

... eruption of laugher.

“Paul ‘failed PE teacher’ Clement... yeah good one etc.”

“Seriously, Alan P....”

Large scale guffaw.

“Jesus, I’m crying...”

“So... Phil Brown it is.”

“We need stability, so a five year £2 million deal sounds just the ticket - that and shit loads of fake tan...” “What could possibly go wrong?”

“Well he is a bit shit...”

“Nah, he talks a great game, he’s not afraid to say it like it is (and after what seems like a cliche),
He’s got a great footballing brain.” “Like Roy Hodgson minus the speech impediment.”

“All those is favour...”

Sigh.

And so it begins (again.)

Oh for stability.

;)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here