Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cheapest way to Liverpool by train?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I am trying to look at the cheapest way to get to and from liverpool by train. Completely missed the early virgin fares :wrong:

Has anyone found a cheap via anywhere else at all. Ive seen plenty of helpful tips before on here.

Any helpful suggestions?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bought my ticket last week £44 return from Euston. I think you have to be a real early bird to get any cheaper

There's a coach that travels through the night - gets to Liverpool at 6 in the morning. That was only £9, I did seriously consider it but it's only worth it if you can get some kip. I did the overnighter getting back from a rugby international at Cardiff once and felt half-dead the next day.

el punal

Try various train company sites for prices. You may get some bargains, for example Chiltern Railways from Marylebone to Birmingham, then Crosscountry Trains from Brum. etc. Download a National Railway network map, this will tell you all the rail routes and companies and then try finding out prices from A to B. You may be doglegging a bit but at least you’ll save a few pennies.

P.S. If you’re really skint try National Express coaches. You can go Saturday evening from Victoria coach station for £5.00 which gets you to Liverpool at midnight or go overnight for £9.30 which arrives at around 6.00 - just in time for breakfast!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Do as the scouse do.

Jump the barrier and hide on the luggage rack, in the bog, or clinging to the outside of the carriage.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Try various train company sites for prices. You may get some bargains, for example Chiltern Railways from Marylebone to Birmingham, then Crosscountry Trains from Brum. etc. Download a National Railway network map, this will tell you all the rail routes and companies and then try finding out prices from A to B. You may be doglegging a bit but at least you’ll save a few pennies.

P.S. If you’re really skint try National Express coaches. You can go Saturday evening from Victoria coach station for £5.00 which gets you to Liverpool at midnight or go overnight for £9.30 which arrives at around 6.00 - just in time for breakfast!

Cheers, its £109 return from Brighton, persoanlly I really dont mind, it will be my last football spend for a while and the first time out of 15+ away games this season We would have paid full price. plans of a weekend away have gone tits up and everyone fancys a beer, so its a matter of sucking it up.

I will have a look at how to save money using different networks.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
No one checked my ticket getting on at Euston on the way to the Everton game, no one checked on the way & Lime Street has no gates. This happened on the way home as well.

Worth a try maybe ..... ����*♀️

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No one checked my ticket getting on at Euston on the way to the Everton game, no one checked on the way & Lime Street has no gates. This happened on the way home as well.

I realise you are not serious but I always have had my tickets checked getting on at Euston on Virgins trains, cant usually get through the gates otherwise as there are usually about 3 virgin staff checking tickets. Some platforms have barriers as well, when we went to Manchester for the cup game we had to go through barriers at Euston.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I realise you are not serious but I always have had my tickets checked getting on at Euston on Virgins trains, cant usually get through the gates otherwise as there are usually about 3 virgin staff checking tickets. Some platforms have barriers as well, when we went to Manchester for the cup game we had to go through barriers at Euston.

It must have been a massive fluke to be honest as I have family in Liverpool & I have done that journey countless times & I have always been checked on the train & before boarding at Euston.

I walked past the staff onto the platform at Euston on the Saturday morning & they just waived me through. It was a bit odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

Big risk! Virgin are hot shit on checking tickets on board, en route. When we were travelling to Newcastle on Virgin, just after Christmas, one of the lads we were chatting to had a ticket for Grand Central to Doncaster. Virgin do not accept other train company tickets and he got clobbered for full fare - £54!! Ouch!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Virgin are scrupulous about tickets.

I had a valid return ticket for a train at 2 but my meeting finished early so I jumped an earlier one. Ended up having to pay a load of extra because I was travelling on an "invalid" ticket. The train was 3/4 empty so I don't see what the issue was.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0206.JPG

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

We had our tickets checked at Euston for West Brom, Stoke and Everton. We also had to show our railcards to show we were entitled to our fare reductions.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Virgin are scrupulous about tickets.

I had a valid return ticket for a train at 2 but my meeting finished early so I jumped an earlier one. Ended up having to pay a load of extra because I was travelling on an "invalid" ticket. The train was 3/4 empty so I don't see what the issue was.

I suppose so - but I've found it depends very much on the ticket collector in question. But when a train is rammed - allowing people to jump on without a ticket for that train would create carnage.

theboybilly

Big risk! Virgin are hot shit on checking tickets on board, en route. When we were travelling to Newcastle on Virgin, just after Christmas, one of the lads we were chatting to had a ticket for Grand Central to Doncaster. Virgin do not accept other train company tickets and he got clobbered for full fare - £54!! Ouch!

Grand Central are not part of ATOC as it was formed after the privatisation cut-off in the 1990s. I forgot this when I used them to go to 'that' Boro match in 2016. Luckily I had a decent member of staff to deal with and got to Sunderland without bother.
'Split my ticket' website shows a cheapest price from Brighton to Lime Street of a tad over £100 return

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here