Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Gregory throws his hat in

Two things he got very right.......................

18/4/1981: Crystal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory 2, Smith).

Two goals at Smellhurst = Albion legend, surely?

Indeed he was in those days.
But that was before his mouth let him down.
And a "self-inflicted un-legend" is surely worse than anyone who never was?!

And that's saying no more about his subsequent managerial activities.

Hence the many negative posts above, including my own earlier one.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
John Gregorys famous quote was'nt that far from the truth and he's been unfairly criticised in my opinion ever since.

I don't care whether it was near the truth or not, he didn't need to say it. The bastard was trying to screw us when we didn't have a pot to piss in and he can f*** right off as far as I am concerned.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I don't care whether it was near the truth or not, he didn't need to say it. The bastard was trying to screw us when we didn't have a pot to piss in and he can f*** right off as far as I am concerned.

Again not entirely correct, if you actually read the quote he said it really is'nt that far from the truth, thats all.

There are always two sides to a story but I've heard from two seperate people very close to Gareth Barry at the time that there was alot more to this than Albion simply being 'screwed' as you say. These two people also think Gregorys quotes were spot on by the way.

I'm not having a go at the Albion, far from it (the club needed the money) and I tried to defend them but it was difficult to on this occasion. But I'm of course willing to take on board other peoples versions if they know anyone who knew Gareth Barry when he lived in Hastings at the time.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

yep.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Delusions of grandeur!

Former Aston Villa boss John Gregory poses in tradition Indian outfit as he celebrates winning the Super League title with Chennaiyin.
4A58397200000578-5518457-image-a-52_1521467350902.jpg

I think I've seen it all now :facepalm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...interesting-outfit-Indian-League-triumph.html

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not sure if his sleeves or his face has more creases.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not sure if his sleeves or his face has more creases.

I was about to say something similar. Don't they have Botox out there. Second thoughts. Despite the amount of Botox , Alan Pardew has had, his mouth still manages to move. Albeit, his interview clap trap seemed to dry up that weekend just gone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh, him. I recognise him now.

View attachment 95280

Doesn’t he need a ball under his arm to be sure? Bloody good effort though :thumbsup:

“They wouldn’t recognise Gareth Barry if he stood on Brighton beach wearing an Albion shirt with a ball under his arm and a seagull on his head.”

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
How funny is it that Gareth Barry is still playing in the Premier League whereas Gregory’s ship has well and truly sailed. I don’t think I would recognise him these days if he was stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on his head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here